Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bloppyblopblop

Plastic Timber - Anyone Tried?

Hi

I did a minor renovation to my place 5 years back and have decked my patio and surrounding pond area with natural timber. However, the wooden timber decking has started to fade and warp due to weathering (my place is directly west facing).

I chanced upon an advertisement on the Classified last Saturday which was advertising on the alternative to natural timber ( http://www.uspl.com.sg/index.htm)

The advantages of the plastic timber seems very attractive given that no maintenance is necessary (termite free too since it's not natural wood)

Has anyone tried using plastic (recyclable) timber as part of your fencing, patio flooring ie outdoor use?

Feedback from those with experience would be well appreciated - Advice on the price differential between wood and plastic timber will be useful as well.

Thanks!

Blop

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi

I did a minor renovation to my place 5 years back and have decked my patio and surrounding pond area with natural timber. However, the wooden timber decking has started to fade and warp due to weathering (my place is directly west facing).

I chanced upon an advertisement on the Classified last Saturday which was advertising on the alternative to natural timber ( http://www.uspl.com.sg/index.htm)

The advantages of the plastic timber seems very attractive given that no maintenance is necessary (termite free too since it's not natural wood)

Has anyone tried using plastic (recyclable) timber as part of your fencing, patio flooring ie outdoor use?

Feedback from those with experience would be well appreciated - Advice on the price differential between wood and plastic timber will be useful as well.

Thanks!

Blop

Hi Blop, the main advantages of plastic lumber is that it is proven to be very resistant to fading due to UV from the sun. The material will retain its colour for a minimum of 10 years and up and lightening of colour would be around 3 - 5%. Over that long a period of time you are not able to tell the difference anyway.

Plastic lumber is definitely more termite resistant than conventional natural decking timber but the only con for plastic lumber is that the expansion and contraction is rather large in various weather but that can be solved by leaving expansion gaps.

Do feel free to pm me for more details if you're interested.

Cheers!

Darren