Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I spend $20k to change the roof tiles for my terrace but I realised that they kept the old rock wool insulation which is very black and yucky. My contractor say they only changed the insulation paper.

My place is around 15 years old. Is it the norm that they kept the old insulation during reroofing? any problems with old rock wool insulation?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I spend $20k to change the roof tiles for my terrace but I realised that they kept the old rock wool insulation which is very black and yucky. My contractor say they only changed the insulation paper.

My place is around 15 years old. Is it the norm that they kept the old insulation during reroofing? any problems with old rock wool insulation?

When I changed my roof tiles, the insulation installed are also new. Not sure why your contractor is still using the old rock wool. I feel that they should be changed.

When I changed my roof tiles, the insulation installed are also new. Not sure why your contractor is still using the old rock wool. I feel that they should be changed.

what insulation did your contractor give you? can tell me how much was your reroofing quote? Mine was around 20k, german roof tiles.

My contractor says his quote only include the new insulation sheet which he installed on top of the existing roakwool and most new roof does not use rock wool. He just left the old rock wool there as he thought the condition is ok.

Edited by wind30

Lee,

How much does your contractor charge you for your roof? Does it includes termite treatment? Does roof needs water proofing too?

Lee,

How much does your contractor charge you for your roof? Does it includes termite treatment? Does roof needs water proofing too?

I did my re-roofing for about $10K. The cost depends on the size and complexity of your roof design. If it is normal roof with surface area of 1000 sq ft, it should be about $10K, and this include the new aluminium covering for the wool. The good German tiles have good inter-locking system that prevents water from sipping in even when there is heavy storm. The good quality large german tiles comes with 50 years warranty. The aluminium covering for the wool further prevents water seepage and I think it is used more for heat and sound insulation.

Roofing construction does not come with terminte treatment. For termite treatment, my experience is to use baiting system to destroy the entire colony of termites. I had termite infestation in my house because my neighbour's house was infested with termites. My neighbour used all kinds of poison to destroy the termites without avail because the termites are smart creatures. Once they know that you use poison on them and see their fellow termites dying from poison, they stop consuming the poison and start spreading to other areas. Hence, my recommendation is to use the baiting system to destroy termites.

If your house doesn't have any issues with termites, then there is no need to do anything. You can always opt to find a solution when termites attack your place. A baiting system cost about $5K.

10k. That is really cheap. I got three quotes and all of them quote me close to 20k for reroofing. My terrace is a small on with 1800sqft of land so the roof area so be similar to yours.

I did my re-roofing for about $10K. The cost depends on the size and complexity of your roof design. If it is normal roof with surface area of 1000 sq ft, it should be about $10K, and this include the new aluminium covering for the wool. The good German tiles have good inter-locking system that prevents water from sipping in even when there is heavy storm. The good quality large german tiles comes with 50 years warranty. The aluminium covering for the wool further prevents water seepage and I think it is used more for heat and sound insulation.

Roofing construction does not come with terminte treatment. For termite treatment, my experience is to use baiting system to destroy the entire colony of termites. I had termite infestation in my house because my neighbour's house was infested with termites. My neighbour used all kinds of poison to destroy the termites without avail because the termites are smart creatures. Once they know that you use poison on them and see their fellow termites dying from poison, they stop consuming the poison and start spreading to other areas. Hence, my recommendation is to use the baiting system to destroy termites.

If your house doesn't have any issues with termites, then there is no need to do anything. You can always opt to find a solution when termites attack your place. A baiting system cost about $5K.

10k. That is really cheap. I got three quotes and all of them quote me close to 20k for reroofing. My terrace is a small on with 1800sqft of land so the roof area so be similar to yours.

Yes, $10k is a good deal. My contractor quoted me about $25k. He has not see the house yet. Just photos.

Yes, $10k is a good deal. My contractor quoted me about $25k. He has not see the house yet. Just photos.

how big is your place?

Hi Lily,

Can you PM me the roofing contractor number which you have quoted that it is 10K. My house is quite small. The land is 1300 sq ft. I should think it is cheaper. I am thinking of doing the metal roofing vs the german tiles type. If you can give me the contact, I can talk to them and get the quote for the roofing. Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Hi Lily, I just Bought an old house and needs to re-roof. Would greatly appreciate it if u could email d contact of your roofing contractor. My email is cheng038@gmail.com. Thanks very much!

I have just appointed an Interior Designer for my house renovation. He will design & get contractors to bid for my project. Once I have appointed my contractor, I will let you know.