Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi alister,

Hehe. Hope this is not turning into a debate session. :thumbs up:

Both has their pros and cons since both are different technologies all together. I believe that conducting this kinda throughout test is rather subjective cos u need to consider factors like your home network configuration, number of users, your modem specs, site you are accessing blah blah blah unless you are able to do the test in a controlled environment. My gut feel is that there are currently more Starhubbers than Singnet-ers in SG which is why there is this lagness in the Starhub network. In time to come, if ever there was ever a chance that both has the same equal number of huge users, I would like to see how both cope.

The point up to now which I am trying to drive across is that I do not believe in 'dedicated bandwidth' based on what I learnt during school days and also during work. I remembered some years back that there is this battle between Singnet and Starhub and both were attacking each other. Singnet's strategy then was to use its 'dedicated bandwidth' as a selling point until there was an article on Digital Life (was it?) denouncing that there is no such thing as 'dedicated'. Ever since, Singnet's strategy changed. Now they r throwing more freebies with less emphasis on this 'dedicated' thingy. Have to admit that Singnet is improving now which is gd news for consumers like us as it provides more competition and better services :P .

Maybe can go up your place to try your broadband someday. I am a heavy user with big file downloads & online gaming and I am very sensitive to gaming lags. Am currently on Starhub at my parent's place...so far no complaints. Am seriously considering between Starhub and Singnet for the new home though.

Hi groovygenie,

At the end of the day, when choosing ISPs, there are many factors which u need to consider. I am equally in the same situation now...need to consider which to sign up for new home.

1) Price Package (cos/bandwidth)

2) Customer Support

3) Stability & performance of connection

4) Overall Package

5) Future ISP implementation (what plans they have to cope with ever-increasing no. of users)

6) Of cos, freebies! ;)

I believe in doing my own research rather than falling for 'marketing and sales talk'.

Just my thoughts...Cheers! :)

I have been using starhub since when i was a trial user with SCV.. so I can't really comment who is good or bad.. but what i feel is that starhub rate is cheaper and i also a heavy download user.. :notti: and now hopefully the can implement the new bandwidth soon.

:yamseng:

I have been using starhub since when i was a trial user with SCV.. so I can't really comment who is good or bad.. but what i feel is that starhub rate is cheaper and i also a heavy download user.. :notti: and now hopefully the can implement the new bandwidth soon.

No wonder my speed is so slow! 8| All the bandwidth is used up by you! :bleah: *Just joking* hehe

I'm a light user, dun really download much... :dunno:

I'm also with Starhub for a long long time. I'm always their guinea pig. I was a trial user as well. When they first launch HD, I was picked as their trial user and my HD set-top box was free. When they first launch hubstation, then known as smart TV, I was also the first few to get it.

The main attraction for me is the Hub Club discounts I get which is quite substantial as I have all 3 of their services.

I also dunno which ISP to use.. i wanted Starhub but my wife suggest we switch to Singnet.. Hmm.. also dunno which is better.. but with starhub can use the modem at another place.. hee

But i wonder if any of u feel that handphone reception quite bad at blk 79? Dunno isit becos mine's Starhub network or maybe only at blk 79A then poor reception..

I also dunno which ISP to use.. i wanted Starhub but my wife suggest we switch to Singnet.. Hmm.. also dunno which is better.. but with starhub can use the modem at another place.. hee

But i wonder if any of u feel that handphone reception quite bad at blk 79? Dunno isit becos mine's Starhub network or maybe only at blk 79A then poor reception..

The poor reception has to do with the height that you are in. I'm with Singtel and I stay on the higher floors and I also experience bad reception. Have to resort to using my starhub digital voice when I need to call out or call back whoever called me. :dunno:

Ya, my place reception also not very good. So does that mean that I have to live with it forever? Is there any way to complain to the telcos/HDB to do something about it since the trend now is to have 40/50 storey pigeon holes for houses?

As for ISP, after being spoilt at work with internet speed of 100Mbps, nothing they offer for home users will come close to it. So I only surf minimally at home. Haha...Download all I can at work!!! * evil grin*

On a side-note if u look at it in a funny manner, maybe we all should sign up with Pacnet & Starhub. U know why....cos they fight to protect our privacy rights! :good: Whereas Singnet gave up our details w/o even fighting. :bow:

Sure for those who are familiar with the Odex case will know about the details... ;)

Ya, my place reception also not very good. So does that mean that I have to live with it forever? Is there any way to complain to the telcos/HDB to do something about it since the trend now is to have 40/50 storey pigeon holes for houses?

As for ISP, after being spoilt at work with internet speed of 100Mbps, nothing they offer for home users will come close to it. So I only surf minimally at home. Haha...Download all I can at work!!! * evil grin*

I guess there's nothing much we can do unless they install more basestations up there. I experience poor mobile reception in my office too up on the 23rd floor. Think it's gonna be worse now in TPY. :jawdrop:

Wah...u can download stuff in your office network. I envy that. :bow:

Edited by Vlanze

No wonder my speed is so slow! 8| All the bandwidth is used up by you! :bleah: *Just joking* hehe

I'm a light user, dun really download much... :dunno:

I'm also with Starhub for a long long time. I'm always their guinea pig. I was a trial user as well. When they first launch HD, I was picked as their trial user and my HD set-top box was free. When they first launch hubstation, then known as smart TV, I was also the first few to get it.

The main attraction for me is the Hub Club discounts I get which is quite substantial as I have all 3 of their services.

Hahah.. no wonder my d/l speed also so slow... I planning to switch my mobile to starhub soon, after my M1 expired.. I having using my M1 number since M1 started...luckily now can switch without changing my number... :notti:

Hi alister,

Hehe. Hope this is not turning into a debate session. :thumbs up:

Both has their pros and cons since both are different technologies all together. I believe that conducting this kinda throughout test is rather subjective cos u need to consider factors like your home network configuration, number of users, your modem specs, site you are accessing blah blah blah unless you are able to do the test in a controlled environment. My gut feel is that there are currently more Starhubbers than Singnet-ers in SG which is why there is this lagness in the Starhub network. In time to come, if ever there was ever a chance that both has the same equal number of huge users, I would like to see how both cope.

The point up to now which I am trying to drive across is that I do not believe in 'dedicated bandwidth' based on what I learnt during school days and also during work. I remembered some years back that there is this battle between Singnet and Starhub and both were attacking each other. Singnet's strategy then was to use its 'dedicated bandwidth' as a selling point until there was an article on Digital Life (was it?) denouncing that there is no such thing as 'dedicated'. Ever since, Singnet's strategy changed. Now they r throwing more freebies with less emphasis on this 'dedicated' thingy. Have to admit that Singnet is improving now which is gd news for consumers like us as it provides more competition and better services :P .

Maybe can go up your place to try your broadband someday. I am a heavy user with big file downloads & online gaming and I am very sensitive to gaming lags. Am currently on Starhub at my parent's place...so far no complaints. Am seriously considering between Starhub and Singnet for the new home though.

Hi groovygenie,

At the end of the day, when choosing ISPs, there are many factors which u need to consider. I am equally in the same situation now...need to consider which to sign up for new home.

1) Price Package (cos/bandwidth)

2) Customer Support

3) Stability & performance of connection

4) Overall Package

5) Future ISP implementation (what plans they have to cope with ever-increasing no. of users)

6) Of cos, freebies! ;)

I believe in doing my own research rather than falling for 'marketing and sales talk'.

Just my thoughts...Cheers! :)

Sure, more for discussion than debate. I know abt the debate going on in hardwarezone for the longest time. You are right that every little thing counts - modem, no. of users, cabling etc. As I don't play games, afraid I will not be able to conduct the test for you. But u r welcome to try at my hse anytime.

FYI - I was a starhub cable user for 6 yrs b4 I switched over to Singnet at the current blk.

I complained to Starhub mobile at the beginning of the year & after conducting some test, they confirmed there is blind spot in my unit, but they are NOT doing anything abt it.

I intent to switch to Singtel when the 3G iPhone is launch in Sept. I believe Singtel signal also no good currently at blk 79. Anyone can confirm ?

Wow ! Your workplace has 100Mbps ? Time I go back to Starhub to upgrade my company bandwidth. Contract is finishing very soon, must ask them to up the bandwidth.

Edited by alister

I intent to switch to Singtel when the 3G iPhone is launch in Sept. I believe Singtel signal also no good currently at blk 79. Anyone can confirm ?

Wow ! Your workplace has 100Mbps ? Time I go back to Starhub to upgrade my company bandwidth. Contract is finishing very soon, must ask them to up the bandwidth.

Both HB and mine are Singtel 3G, also not very good at certain areas of the unit. I remember having to walk to the rubbish chute area or the stairs to get a better reception. My ID's phone (dunno which telco) also don't have good signal in the unit. But it also depends on the phone model, those super small/slim phones seem to be worse.

Ya, office has 100Mbps, only realised last year when I complained to hubby that why the mio at my home so slow, see youtube very 'xinku', always download halfway get cut off. He told me the speed at workplace different, it's much faster mah, then I go see, then I wah....100Mbps...

Just wish to share with fellow neighbours that the tv reception

will be very much clearer after the starhub signal activation.

It's almost high definition. :notti:

Btw, talking about the Gate hinge Uncle Kor, he managed to

convince my opposite neighbour to do up his gate as well..

Seems like for my floor alone almost half of us have did

the hinges. Think his business is quite good leh.. :jawdrop:

A reminder for football addicts and germany supporters, dun

forget to tune in after midnite 2.45am for the free live match

of Ger Vs Tur !! Germany Gogogo :dancingqueen:

Go Turkey go! Underdogs all the way! :D

Just wish to share with fellow neighbours that the tv reception

will be very much clearer after the starhub signal activation.

It's almost high definition. :notti:

Btw, talking about the Gate hinge Uncle Kor, he managed to

convince my opposite neighbour to do up his gate as well..

Seems like for my floor alone almost half of us have did

the hinges. Think his business is quite good leh.. :jawdrop:

A reminder for football addicts and germany supporters, dun

forget to tune in after midnite 2.45am for the free live match

of Ger Vs Tur !! Germany Gogogo :dancingqueen:

Hi. Anyone of you got your contractor to make a shelf in the lobang under the window for BR1 & 2? Other than those who got it for free, how much did your contractor charge you for it? Am thinking of doing it.

Edited by Mapleleaf

Those lobangs worth customising shelves or not ah?

After factoring in the wood, i think not much space left, can put toys? :P

Hi. Anyone of you got your contractor to make a shelf in the lobang under the window for BR1 & 2? Other than those who got it for free, how much did your contractor charge you for it? Am thinking of doing it.

Anyone receiving strong sunlight into their unit? I will be installing solar film for my window. 99% blocking the uv and also will prevent discoloration of the curtain, flooring and furniture. Will be installing it on sat, can drop by to see if interested.