Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

SINGAPORE : Electricity tariffs will go up by 4.98 per cent or by 1.19 cents per kilo watt per hour (kWh) for all households from the next quarter, beginning July 1.

Singapore Power said the hike is due to higher electricity costs arising from higher fuel prices.

The forward fuel oil price is 11.03 per cent higher than that of US$74.40 per barrel for the current quarter.

The electricity tariff is revised every quarter and this latest hike is lower, in percentage terms, than what it was three months ago. Still, coming at the back of rising inflation and an overall increase in the cost of living, not everyone is taking the news well.

"I spend about $100 on bills already, as well as other expenses. So it will be quite difficult for me to cope," said one Singapore resident.

Another said: "Just use less electricity, and switch off the lights when not in use."

Low-income families are expected to be hardest hit, but grassroots organisations said there are measures to help residents cope.

"We call it the Power Up scheme, where we work with our grassroots organisations and grassroots advisors (to help those) who could not afford to pay their electricity bills and had their electricity supply terminated. So this scheme is to help them restore their electricity supply," said Dr Teo Ho Pin, Mayor of North West District.

But coping is what some motorists are having difficulty with, now that pump prices have gone up again.

Since Monday, petrol prices are up 5 cents a litre and 10 cents for diesel. The latest to join in is the Singapore Petroleum Company (SPC), which has nearly 40 stations island-wide.

"I feel that it's illogical, the way fuel companies are earning so much money. Their profit margins are so high, yet the prices are rising," said one member of the public.

Others like Shell, Caltex, and ExxonMobil have already announced their hikes - the 13th consecutive increase since last July. - CNA

“We cannot control prices. If there is an upward pressure on prices, we have to live with it.” - Minister for National Development Mah Bow Tan on price control despite rising food costs, 21st April 2008, CNN

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
SINGAPORE : Electricity tariffs will go up by 4.98 per cent or by 1.19 cents per kilo watt per hour (kWh) for all households from the next quarter, beginning July 1.

Singapore Power said the hike is due to higher electricity costs arising from higher fuel prices.

The forward fuel oil price is 11.03 per cent higher than that of US$74.40 per barrel for the current quarter.

The electricity tariff is revised every quarter and this latest hike is lower, in percentage terms, than what it was three months ago. Still, coming at the back of rising inflation and an overall increase in the cost of living, not everyone is taking the news well.

"I spend about $100 on bills already, as well as other expenses. So it will be quite difficult for me to cope," said one Singapore resident.

Another said: "Just use less electricity, and switch off the lights when not in use."

Low-income families are expected to be hardest hit, but grassroots organisations said there are measures to help residents cope.

"We call it the Power Up scheme, where we work with our grassroots organisations and grassroots advisors (to help those) who could not afford to pay their electricity bills and had their electricity supply terminated. So this scheme is to help them restore their electricity supply," said Dr Teo Ho Pin, Mayor of North West District.

But coping is what some motorists are having difficulty with, now that pump prices have gone up again.

Since Monday, petrol prices are up 5 cents a litre and 10 cents for diesel. The latest to join in is the Singapore Petroleum Company (SPC), which has nearly 40 stations island-wide.

"I feel that it's illogical, the way fuel companies are earning so much money. Their profit margins are so high, yet the prices are rising," said one member of the public.

Others like Shell, Caltex, and ExxonMobil have already announced their hikes - the 13th consecutive increase since last July. - CNA

“We cannot control prices. If there is an upward pressure on prices, we have to live with it.” - Minister for National Development Mah Bow Tan on price control despite rising food costs, 21st April 2008, CNN

Well, what do we expect ? Garment need $$ to support their pay increase mah. :curse:

And btw, if your surname starts with WONG and the men under ur ministry does many wrongs, sack them. But u get to keep ur job and take millions back home. AHEM ! :furious:

Hi. Anyone of you got your contractor to make a shelf in the lobang under the window for BR1 & 2? Other than those who got it for free, how much did your contractor charge you for it? Am thinking of doing it.

Another option is to buy those Ikea shelves that can customize length/depth and ask contractor to fix up FOC? Also maybe can check the Ikea quality/prices and see if contractor's quote for the shelves will match that.

Anyone receiving strong sunlight into their unit? I will be installing solar film for my window. 99% blocking the uv and also will prevent discoloration of the curtain, flooring and furniture. Will be installing it on sat, can drop by to see if interested.

Are you doing all windows? How much does it cost? Can you take a sample piece to pass to me, my HB has access to equipment at workplace that tests UV transmission and he is interested to see if the specifications are as what the company claims. I can collect from your unit on Sat.

Of course they can live with it....they are drawing such a big fat pay cheque from the Garmen. Talking is always so easy and free..... They don't live like we do.... how will they ever understand the difficulties we face everyday.

They are really too much, now stretching both left and right hands for our hard earned money, their fat pay from the taxes singaporeans pay, and their so call "privatized" energy company make us pay more profits to them.

Well, what do we expect ? Garment need $$ to support their pay increase mah. :curse:

And btw, if your surname starts with WONG and the men under ur ministry does many wrongs, sack them. But u get to keep ur job and take millions back home. AHEM ! :furious:

Please enlighten me....... The AIG chairman's surname not Wong right. No wonder he got sacked :dancingqueen

Hit by losses, AIG sacks CEO

Mon, Jun 16 02:26 AM

American International Group (AIG), the world's largest insurer, has sacked chief executive Martin Sullivan after a bumpy three-year tenure which saw record losses and plummeting share prices.

"On behalf of the board and the entire organization, I want to thank Martin Sullivan for his extraordinary dedication and service to AIG for over 35 years," said George Miles, a member of the company's board of directors.

"We all wish him well in his future endeavors," Miles said.

After the shakeup at the closed door meeting, the board announced on Monday that it had chosen company chairman Robert Willumstad, 62, to replace Sullivan as chief executive, as AIG struggles to weather its credit crisis.

Company officials said in a statement that Willumstad was precisely the person to help right the company's course.

"Bob's broad managerial and financial services experience makes him the right person to lead AIG through Monday's turbulent markets, drive further organizational change and rebuild shareholder value in the years ahead," Miles said.

Willumstad, who has been chairman of the board at AIG since November 2006, promised more stringent oversight, as AIG struggles to correct its course.

"In the coming months, we will conduct a thorough strategic and operational review of AIG's businesses and their performance," he said, adding that "results over the past two quarters have been unacceptable."

"We are determined to get the organization back on track as quickly as possible and ensure it is well positioned for future success," AIG's new CEO said.

Edited by Pooh_75

I remember sometime back our 'beloved' Transport Minister was encouraging us to take our world-class public transport & ditch our cars. Can some1 tell him to do it first? Pls lead by example & not only NATO.

Try squeezing in our MRT and bus services during peak hour to get a free armpit-smelling therapy. And I havent even come to another of our beloved systems => ERPs. :furious:

Hi Everyone whose house is affected by the rain splashing on their main doors...

I made a complain (they call it feedback :bleah: ) to the branch office and they replied and said they will install the rain protectors for me which can be rolled up and down to block out the rain. Only condition is I have to sign an undertaking that I will be responsible for it and maintain it myself. If it is spoilt after the warranty period, I have to pay for the repair myself. :furious:

They provided some black and white pictures on how the rollers look like and how to use it but it is not very clear. :dunno: Not sure will it look ok ornot after fixing it and will the corridor be dark if the rollers are down. :unsure:

They will install it within a month if I sign the undertaking and return it to them... :deal:

Hi. Anyone of you got your contractor to make a shelf in the lobang under the window for BR1 & 2? Other than those who got it for free, how much did your contractor charge you for it? Am thinking of doing it.

I would suggest you try talk to your ID to get it free. each shelving from ikea cost ard $25++ then still have to drill it in yourself and measure & ensure it straight and a line. not worth the effort for 2 pieces of planks when you have paid so much already for your carpentry in the house :)

Mine i got it free from the ID. I found that the area it is not very deep, but enough to stack up my monopoly and mad magazine game boards :)

Hi Everyone whose house is affected by the rain splashing on their main doors...

I made a complain (they call it feedback :bleah: ) to the branch office and they replied and said they will install the rain protectors for me which can be rolled up and down to block out the rain. Only condition is I have to sign an undertaking that I will be responsible for it and maintain it myself. If it is spoilt after the warranty period, I have to pay for the repair myself. :furious:

They provided some black and white pictures on how the rollers look like and how to use it but it is not very clear. :dunno: Not sure will it look ok ornot after fixing it and will the corridor be dark if the rollers are down. :unsure:

They will install it within a month if I sign the undertaking and return it to them... :deal:

Not bad wa. Got free shieldrather than spending own pocket money to resolve problem. Good deal

Hi Shivan, possible to post show the pics of the rollers here? Think my unit also kena from the rain. If possible, would like to get it done up too. :D

Anyway, would also like to check. My ID 'threw' in a sys3 aircon as part of the package but I am thinking of upgrading to a sys4. Any idea roughly how much to top up?

Edited by Vlanze

I would suggest you try talk to your ID to get it free. each shelving from ikea cost ard $25++ then still have to drill it in yourself and measure & ensure it straight and a line. not worth the effort for 2 pieces of planks when you have paid so much already for your carpentry in the house :)

Mine i got it free from the ID. I found that the area it is not very deep, but enough to stack up my monopoly and mad magazine game boards :)

My ID is charging me $280 per shelf. Hope I did not hear wrongly.

howlupjac, are you able to check with your ID the market price for that? Carelinwen, if possible too? Many thanks.

Edited by Mapleleaf

Another option is to buy those Ikea shelves that can customize length/depth and ask contractor to fix up FOC? Also maybe can check the Ikea quality/prices and see if contractor's quote for the shelves will match that.

Are you doing all windows? How much does it cost? Can you take a sample piece to pass to me, my HB has access to equipment at workplace that tests UV transmission and he is interested to see if the specifications are as what the company claims. I can collect from your unit on Sat.

Hi carelinwen,

Think there will be some wastage which they cut out from. Small piece will do right? You can come over on sat. Sms me when you are coming.

Hi Shivan,

I think all our units are affected. Maybe we can get everyone to sign a petition and see if HDB can do something better cos this is actually their design flaw.

Hey,

- i olso wan.

- but i havnt move in yet, actually havnt even started my reno.

- how shd i go abt it huh?

:unsure:

howlupjac, are you able to check with your ID the market price for that? Carelinwen, if possible too? Many thanks.

Hey,

- if ur unit is stil under reno or in e carpentry discussion stage, mayb can ask ur ID 2 get it F.O.C.

- but e so called F.O.C. is by means of tranfering dis 'shelves' cost in2 other items.

- dis theory olso applies 2 other F.O.C. items. eg. aircon & electrical appliances etc.

- in reality, e ID co had signed a 'Term Contract' with e respective suppliers. Dis suppliers wil then supply e ID co with e 'goods & services' at a rebated price.

- if e recess area under e window is 1.2m wide = approx. 4ft

- solid plywood shelf or ledge in laminate finish, market rate is abt $50pfr.

- therefore, selling price = 4ft x $50pfr = $200 per shelf or ledge.

- y a small pcs of wood is so expensive?

- reason being ->

-- suspended shelf or ledge is made up of layers of solid plywood, compressed 2gether by high pressure.

-- it is finished off by laminates on 3 surfaces, namely e top, front & bottom.

-- metal rod/bar/bolt is drilled in2 e wall 2 support e shelf/ledge.

-- labour cost.

- another option is 2 D.I.Y.

- can try IKEA's pine wood with smooth or painted finish kind of shelving.

- get e required length & depth.

- powered-drill, wall-plug & stud is needed 2 finish e job.

:notti:

Edited by jaCKY777

Hi carelinwen,

Think there will be some wastage which they cut out from. Small piece will do right? You can come over on sat. Sms me when you are coming.

Yup small piece will do, he just wants to check really how effective it is. I will be going to my unit late morn/lunch time. See you then. Thanks!

For the shelving, in the inital quotation he indicated i think is $80 per piece. May i check is your carpentry works finished? I think the problem lies with the laminate. if your carpentry work have not finished, you can negotiate with your ID to use the same laminate for your other cupboards or cabinets and as him to give it to you FOC

I understand from my ID, if you need just a small piece, they also need to buy one big piece of laminate and that may be the reason why your ID charged such a i would consider unreasonable amt for just 1 piece of wood.

Then again, you may want to take a look at the "wooden plank" that I have and see if it is the same as what you requested for. I will be at home this evening and tomorrow morning.