Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

if you can afford the song cho ones, go for those, i have baskets i bought 12 years ago, moved with me 4 times, up to now, still NO rust!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Some good news, some bad news.

Yesterday was a day of mixed news. Let me start with the bad:

Bad News #1

Window Grilles - As a recap, we were previously looking for these kind of grilles:

window-security4.jpg

Quote came in but was far, far, far too costly to do. So sadly, we have to use normal grilles (which I absolutely hate). What is so special about this kind that you cant do away with the normal ones?

Bad News #2

Main gate - PM told me they cannot do the mild steel gate we want. So I have to find someone else to do it for us. I refuse to use wrought iron/aluminium gates! Refuse. What's wrong with wrought iron or aluminium gates?

Good News #1

Bathroom - Managed to get our PM to reduce her bathroom quote, so we are now back to business! Though it's still more costly to do the custom bath, the difference is not much and we feel the payoff will be worth it.

Good News #2

Windows - Understand from my PM yesterday that the permit to install our windows have been approved. As a recap, we are only replacing the windows in the hall and common room since the other windows have previously been upgraded by HDB. And, if you read this blog from Page 1, you'll know that I was looking for the American-style double-hung windows which is non-existent in Singapore:

double-hung-window-4.jpg

B&E will be fabricating the windows for us. We requested to see the locking mechanism before they fabricate the windows and yesterday, our PM left it at our place for us to collect. We've seen it and are now even more intrigued! We were actually ready to sacrifice the windows since we couldn't do the grilles we wanted (see Bad News #1) and to save some cost.

excel asia: www.excelhw.com.sg

oh is this company ah? i thought its asia excel..terbalik...lol.

ngunadi, care to confirm?

yup, i believe it will be useful. songcho ones are smooth. hoe kee not so smooth but still alright. SSC is gavalnised metal so forget it so is IKEA's Excel Asia is Chromed steel. so if u talk abt durability it will still be songcho or hoe kee ba. I had the problem of having to stretch into the deep cabinet, in time i was so fedup I refused to do much cooking. so this round I do all drawers. kekekeke....

you do all drawers? wowee....edmund never charge u a bomb for it ah?

if you can afford the song cho ones, go for those, i have baskets i bought 12 years ago, moved with me 4 times, up to now, still NO rust!

hi patsy, yep i know you have the song cho ones. saw your posts on other similar threads. but they're really very expensive!! 200/pc x 2 pc = $400!! i can do so much with that amount...

What is so special about this kind that you cant do away with the normal ones?

What's wrong with wrought iron or aluminium gates?

hey england, the scissors grilles are collapsible. so when we don't need them, we can just push it to one side and its not an eyesore. its also very strong, security-wise.

aluminium can be easy to cut thru and i think it looks cheapo. and wrought iron have those bumps that don't sit well with me.

you do all drawers? wowee....edmund never charge u a bomb for it ah?

ya, lower cabinets almost all drawers except the small cabinet which I do pull out spice tray (bought from songcho last nite at $201.20 :jawdrop: ) and the space under the sink still door cabinet. THAT is why Edmund say I hv expensive taste. :D:sport-smiley-004:

but I not doing songcho drawers or blum drawers as planned initially. I did normal drawers and shall upgrade if the need is there. yeah drawers are ex but more practical and edmund gave me good pricing so ok lor. hubby agree cos he had the experience of taking things out from lower cabinet and also pek chek. plus he has back problem so the drawers will serve its purpose well.

btw lilith, u hv not decided who to do ur paint works? cos i saw ur sig that u hv a question mark for paint works.... :unsure:

Edited by samgalz

ya, lower cabinets almost all drawers except the small cabinet which I do pull out spice tray (bought from songcho last nite at $201.20 :jawdrop: ) and the space under the sink still door cabinet. THAT is why Edmund say I hv expensive taste. :D:sport-smiley-004:

but I not doing songcho drawers or blum drawers as planned initially. I did normal drawers and shall upgrade if the need is there. yeah drawers are ex but more practical and edmund gave me good pricing so ok lor. hubby agree cos he had the experience of taking things out from lower cabinet and also pek chek. plus he has back problem so the drawers will serve its purpose well.

btw lilith, u hv not decided who to do ur paint works? cos i saw ur sig that u hv a question mark for paint works.... :unsure:

your spice rack so gui!! got pics not? sounds like those narrow type..

our kitchen cabinet designed by hb also got many drawers...but my PM say might need to top up for some drawers, told us normally they only do 1 row of 3 drawers. :unsure: don't wanna top up anymore liao la!! she say she'll get back to us on the additional cost if any. sigh!

and nope, have not decided on my painter leh, why? got lobang?

Edited by lilithfiend

Now I get confused also which one is the correct one.

But I think your contractor should know since it's quite a common brand?

asia excel is the one @ IMM right? i might be going there later. u wan me help u check it out? just tell me wat u wan to know. :)

edit: oops, realised talking abt different company. asia excel & excel hardware 2 different companies. :X :X

Edited by pinktini

Now I get confused also which one is the correct one.

But I think your contractor should know since it's quite a common brand?

muahaha ok i think everybody's confused..i shall just call both lah..i called asia excel before and they also have such pull outs. can't remember their prices liao. will call again.

asia excel is the one @ IMM right? i might be going there later. u wan me help u check it out? just tell me wat u wan to know. :)

yea asia excel has a branch at IMM. the one i called is the balestier road one. so nice of you to help me check! can help me see if they have 650mm pull out basket (flat type to put pots/pans/woks etc)? i need to fit into 750mm cabinet..thank you!! :yamseng:

yea asia excel has a branch at IMM. the one i called is the balestier road one. so nice of you to help me check! can help me see if they have 650mm pull out basket (flat type to put pots/pans/woks etc)? i need to fit into 750mm cabinet..thank you!! :yamseng:
ok! i'm on it!

your spice rack so gui!! got pics not? sounds like those narrow type..

our kitchen cabinet designed by hb also got many drawers...but my PM say might need to top up for some drawers, told us normally they only do 1 row of 3 drawers. :unsure: don't wanna top up anymore liao la!! she say she'll get back to us on the additional cost if any. sigh!

and nope, have not decided on my painter leh, why? got lobang?

songcho pull out rack This is the one I bought. yes, narrow type one cos of the space I can work on is very small. but this is good enough. I like songcho cos it last. my MIL's one 10 yrs still working fine. the extra paid is balanced out with the number of years usage.

ya, edmund aso say normally quote is based on 1 row 3 drawers. so i did top up lor cos initially I quoted in the blum drawers so now take out blum and use that amt top up lor.

no lobang leh for this. last time had one painter do my MIL place not bad, I find from Classified. but lost his contact so dun hv liao. :( can search classified lah. better start find n confirm or else the works will ta pak again.

Edited by samgalz

ok! i'm on it!

went to asia excel @ IMM. the one which suit a 750mm cabinet, only got 600mm. the next size is 800mm alr. the 600mm one is $196.

went to asia excel @ IMM. the one which suit a 750mm cabinet, only got 600mm. the next size is 800mm alr. the 600mm one is $196.

did u check out hoe kee which was near it?

no leh.. i only go asia excel then go off alr. :P u all wanted price for hoe kee also arh?

no lar, not for me...i bought songcho liao cos I only need one rack. i thought u would have checked the price of hoe kee too. who knows they might have ur size...

no lar, not for me...i bought songcho liao cos I only need one rack. i thought u would have checked the price of hoe kee too. who knows they might have ur size...
oh nono, haha. not for me. i just happened to go IMM to buy lockset today and some other stuff, so help lilithfiend to check the price for asia excel. :) :)