Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lawry

Water Heater Switch With Led

It's me again ~

Barely after my leaky sink drama, now my heater switch has decide to die as well, it's stuck in the on position with the led light on but my instant water is off..

I ripped out the cover and unscrewed the top plate, there seems to be some wires connected to the top plate, I didn't try to pry any further since I didn't off the mains electricity. :P

Just want to know if it's possible or easy to just buy a new face plate and transfer the wires over or do I really need to get an electrician?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Ermmm ok, I've not done a normal light switch before either. :P

You made it sound quite easy, I guess it will be these few steps?

Off the Electrical Mains.

Remove face plate,

Remove wires from face plate,

Transfer all to new plate and done?

I would want to change to another brand with bigger button or softer touch, the current small button is just hideous and hard to press.

Something like that .

IMG_1683.jpg

Yes, procedure is as simple as that.

However, take note. Wires are quite stiff, and may be short. Need some effort to loosen and later tighten the wire screws.

Shd have a test pen to test make sure all wires no more current before touching them.

Legand got big rocker switch for water heater. Quite smart looking.

Some updates.

Old photo, when it used to work ..

Picture003.jpg

Current photo, button stuck at ON position, can't switch to OFF position.

Notice the LED light is dimmed as well?

IMG_2107.jpg

I saw the Legrand Mallia at Choo Chiang, quite nice, but unfortunately different color/style with my switch next to it.

No choice, settle for MK again, but big rocker button this time. It's $6.40

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

The back of the plate.

Middle chunk with 4 holes.

Top 2 holes LN wire (live red neutral black from main supply)

Bottom 2 holes LN wire (live red neutral black from your appliance)

Earth wires to those 2 donuts above.

LED light (black wires) to the bottom 2 holes together with the appliance's wires. :D

(Just in case anyone wants to DIY next time, you can refer to this or message me. :P

Edited by lawry

IMG_2108.jpg

---OFF YOUR MAINS---

Preferably buy the same brand/model so that the configuration is the same, less confusing for you.

Remove the panel and unscrew not more than 2 wires* at any one time.

(If you unscrew all the 6 wires at the same time. You can't tell which ones are supply's, which is appliance's)

Transfer the wires over to the new panels before you unscrew more wires.

IMG_2110.jpg

something like that. :D

Once you are done, screw back the panel, put back the face plate and all.

Finally ..

IMG_2111.jpg

It's a 10min job.

I have a problem with a new Legrand water heater switch that I changed out from my flat's original MK one.

After I connected it up and got it working. The LED is always lit. In both OFF & ON position. I must have connected something wrongly. Any one can advise?

sgsndf.jpg

Just to mention the Legrand water heater switch's LED doesn't have like the MK's separate wires for the LED. The red LED light is built into the switch. I thought it's only turns on when you on the switch. But it just kept lit, though the water heater (water storage tank) power is working as it should be.

Did I reversed the main supply L&N with the appliance L&N in this 2 pole water heater switch ?!? If that is the reason why the LED light remains lit the whole time.

Did you connect your incoming L & N to the correct terminal on the switch?

Maybe you have connected the 'incoming' L & N to the outgoing terminal on the switch, so there is always current passing thru' to the LED.

I switched over the 2 L&N and it's still the same. When it is off the LED light is a little lit. When it is on it's fully lit. Maybe the Legrand Water Heater switch is like that?

Since you've tried re-connecting in different ways and still the same, it's probably like you've describe.

But just in case the switch is faulty, you should ask the shop that you bought from. If it is not normal, maybe they will give you a replacement.