Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
minimalis

Restriction On Dogs In Condo?

We've got a big Golden Retriever, who obviously wouldn't be permitted in a HDB environment, which led us to look at condos instead. Made the option to purchase in August 09, took our keys in Nov 09, and now we find out from a notice on the estate notice board that in October 09 they passed a by-law to restrict dogs in the condo to those similar in size to HDB-permitted ones. Would like to find out if are there any condos out there which have similar restrictions? I mean, if they restrict fierce dogs, it's understandable but to make it similar to HDB is frankly, quite ridiculous. Anyone out there faced a similar problem?

Thanks...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
We've got a big Golden Retriever, who obviously wouldn't be permitted in a HDB environment, which led us to look at condos instead. Made the option to purchase in August 09, took our keys in Nov 09, and now we find out from a notice on the estate notice board that in October 09 they passed a by-law to restrict dogs in the condo to those similar in size to HDB-permitted ones. Would like to find out if are there any condos out there which have similar restrictions? I mean, if they restrict fierce dogs, it's understandable but to make it similar to HDB is frankly, quite ridiculous. Anyone out there faced a similar problem?

Thanks...

Refer to your residence handbook for pet issue. For MCST, MC has right to create "by-law", off course the members must have supported this. U can write condo manager a letter to request to sit in in next mnthly meeting to challenge this by-law. Try to get supporters.

- Usually not more than 2 pets allow.

- Dog must be lashed while in compound.

- Fine $200 or $300 by NEA if droppings not cleared away by owner in public place.

Edited by bepgof

Thanks...

By-laws are rules that u have to obey to enjoy living with other subsidiary Proprietors in the community. Why don't u choose staying landed?

Edited by bepgof

If you want to keep dogs, best is landed property where they can some space and some greens for the dogs to run about. You can also build a pool and the dogs can swim in it too (if you don't mind).

Haha we would have gotten a landed if we could afford it. :P

Anyway we have seen a few golden retrievers and other large dogs in the estate, so does that mean that they do not have to seek the residents' opinions to get consensus before passing the by-law?

And legally, what can they do if we still bring our dog back?

Haha we would have gotten a landed if we could afford it. :P

Anyway we have seen a few golden retrievers and other large dogs in the estate, so does that mean that they do not have to seek the residents' opinions to get consensus before passing the by-law?

And legally, what can they do if we still bring our dog back?

I once complained to condo manager abt one owner having more than 3 dogs, I took pictures & video of the dogs and wrote a letter to Agri-Food & Veterinary with this owner's adress, of course with my address attached as well. I wrote the letter out of condo manager's effect (talk to owner) did not work. After that letter, left 2 dogs.

One occasion, near security post, this owner's small dog unleashed, run toward my daughter and I wanted to kick fly that but that little run away, I talked to the owner asked him leash his dog in public, no more next chance. His act of leaving dog unleashed in public places is laible to be fined for $5,000 by AVA.

Golden Retriver worse still, need to be leashed & muzzled before appearing in the public places. Failing which u will pay & 5,000 if some one report to AVA with evidence. HP with camera is very common now, do not take chance. Be a responsible pet owner. To be frank, many pet owners do not know what they are doing. I even asked owners carrying pets in arm to get out of the hawker center. I have the AVA phone in my HP. If they argued I would take picture immediately and call up AVA.

Likely the CM will ask u to give up the dog within a certain time frame, if u fail, then he will report to AVA.

Edited by bepgof

end of the day, boils down to ur r/s btw u and ur neighbors.

at my neighborhood, landed. the dogs are mostly unleashed in the evenings and nights.

Irish settlers, goldies, shih tzus, huskies, chihuahua, maltese, shelties, jrts

owners know one another, some of the dogs are from the nearby condos who ironically complain they prefer our park their their own fenced up estates. sometimes the dogs just walk out of the gates to poo/pee and walk back into the house, the maid come back later to pick up the poo (u can tell it's ur dog's coz it's warm)

end of the day, boils down to ur r/s btw u and ur neighbors.

at my neighborhood, landed. the dogs are mostly unleashed in the evenings and nights.

Irish settlers, goldies, shih tzus, huskies, chihuahua, maltese, shelties, jrts

owners know one another, some of the dogs are from the nearby condos who ironically complain they prefer our park their their own fenced up estates. sometimes the dogs just walk out of the gates to poo/pee and walk back into the house, the maid come back later to pick up the poo (u can tell it's ur dog's coz it's warm)

If found dogs unleashed in public, take a picture of dog & the face of owner, call:

63257625, email : ava_email@ava.gov.sg

Owner will know the consequence.

Edited by bepgof

aiya pls loh, there are no malays in my neigborhood, every house has at least 1dog and u think AVA has nothing better to do?

owners like us only come out from 11pm to 4am at night. as if the lightings are so conducive for photos taking.

maybe next time my neighborhood will take photos of owners picking everyone's poo and send this photo to AVA and the press.

Only small minded beings have the time to do such things.

• Like 1

If found dogs unleashed in public, take a picture of dog & the face of owner, call:

63257625, email : ava_email@ava.gov.sg

Owner will know the consequence.

Hi bepgof,

thanks for the contact.

Hi bepgof,

Thank you for the contact. I have seen dogs unleashed in park connector while the owner taking their own sweet time walking ... what happened if the dog attack someone?

I am going to report any dog which is unleashed by their owner!

Hi all,

Would appreciate if you do not use this as a forum to complain about other pet owners. Our original question is whether legally they can do anything to our dog in this situation.

I ensure that he's on a leash everytime he's out of the house, I clean up after him, I do not let him approach strangers or kids. He does not bark, neither has he jumped up on anybody.

And get your facts right, Golden Retrievers are NOT required to be muzzled when they are out for their walks.

Obviously people here have not experienced the unconditional love that pets can give. Pity.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Would appreciate if you do not use this as a forum to complain about other pet owners. Our original question is whether legally they can do anything to our dog in this situation.

I ensure that he's on a leash everytime he's out of the house, I clean up after him, I do not let him approach strangers or kids. He does not bark, neither has he jumped up on anybody.

And get your facts right, Golden Retrievers are NOT required to be muzzled when they are out for their walks.

Obviously people here have not experienced the unconditional love that pets can give. Pity.

Good point stated. The thread has deviated.

I'm interested to know if this can been challenged?

Frankly if i'm paying good money to stay in a condo and they tell me i can't keep my pet dog, I'll tell them to XXXX off.

anyway back to the thread.

Good point stated. The thread has deviated.

I'm interested to know if this can been challenged?

Frankly if i'm paying good money to stay in a condo and they tell me i can't keep my pet dog, I'll tell them to XXXX off.

anyway back to the thread.

Thanks Phantom.

Yes that's what we really want to know. That day we were going back to check on renovations then saw the notice on the board and got quite upset. They can't expect us to remove our dog just like that. I mean, one of the reasons we wanted to get a condo was so that our dog can stay with us!

Anyway I'm hoping some other condo owners can advice us on this. At least we can be prepared before we move in.

Thanks Phantom.

Yes that's what we really want to know. That day we were going back to check on renovations then saw the notice on the board and got quite upset. They can't expect us to remove our dog just like that. I mean, one of the reasons we wanted to get a condo was so that our dog can stay with us!

Anyway I'm hoping some other condo owners can advice us on this. At least we can be prepared before we move in.

We have a spunky terrier and I believe many non-dog owners will not understand the bond that dog owners can have. Having said so there are on the other hand dog owners who only have dogs because they are cute when young etc.

We adopted our terrier coz he was apparently lost or left to fend for himself.

Generally I think if you can't get any advise, just approach the condo mgt team and talk to them. As long as owners are responsible I don't think why there should be any problems.

Keep larger dogs need extra commitment like bringing them out for a good run etc. Gd Luck!