Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tz_jie

My Housing Coming On June 2010

Hihi

Just my own view, coz I have ask for quote from quite a no. of ID/Contractors, but contractors quote wasnt exactly cheap like what others stated.

In fact, their quote to me is very close to ID. Some ID firm have quoted even lower than contractor, which I was very surprised.

My contractors here refer to those more popular one recommended in RT. Unless u get different contractor to do different things, and u do the coordination, then it probably is a different story.

Ultimately, I think u got to meet them and see who u are more comfortable with and who u can trust. :D

Edited by Angteko

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hi tz_jie! welcome to rt! :)

just my two cents: speak to a few IDs, tap on their knowledge and ideas, then get a contractor to do the job for you! no point paying premium prices to ID. alternatively, there are a few contractors who can give you design ideas as well - search for edmund who did risis' home.

i think IDs tend to produce cookie cutter homes and your house will look nice but won't feel like its yours.. not sure if you get what i mean..haha babbling here! ok good luck & have fun! :sport-smiley-018:

My 2 cents. More often than not, the contractors might not have the knowledge to carry out what some IDs suggested. Contractors will also tend to find the cheapest carpenters available in town to give better quotation. If you are constructing something simple, then it will not be a problem. But if the design involves mathematical calculation, angle and pivot construction, etc, I doubt contractors have the knowledge to do the production drawing and pass it to the carpenters to construct or have contact with the more knowledgable carpenters. That is also why some find architects to design and construct cos they have the knowledge to do a better job. :)

My 2 cents. More often than not, the contractors might not have the knowledge to carry out what some IDs suggested. Contractors will also tend to find the cheapest carpenters available in town to give better quotation. If you are constructing something simple, then it will not be a problem. But if the design involves mathematical calculation, angle and pivot construction, etc, I doubt contractors have the knowledge to do the production drawing and pass it to the carpenters to construct or have contact with the more knowledgable carpenters. That is also why some find architects to design and construct cos they have the knowledge to do a better job. :)

Unless u want to do very very patterned stuff , if not contractor will do . During my time , I source for a lot of ID and contractor . Overall contractor price is much better then ID.

As long as yrs is normal renovation , I think most contractor should have the experience to do it

Unless u want to do very very patterned stuff , if not contractor will do . During my time , I source for a lot of ID and contractor . Overall contractor price is much better then ID.

As long as yrs is normal renovation , I think most contractor should have the experience to do it

Hi Simon,

It has been a while. How is Jaden? Growing up day by day. :D

Agree with you. So long as doing a cookie cutter design, contractor price is definitely cheaper. I think the best way to do reno is get a ID to design. And get contractor to do the basic reno (eg. tiling, hacking). Then the ID to step in again to do up the more complicated part.

Hi samgalz,

read ur blog and found out that ur floorplan seem like quite similar to me just the layout and size is diff.... I also dun have photo now, trying to make appointment with the seller for me to view and take photo to show the contractors or IDs. How ur progress so far?

*Also i found out our design/layout in mind also almost the same :)

some of them quoted me, am arranging to have discussion, will have a discussion with CLC tomorrow nite. I will keep u update.

some of them quoted me, am arranging to have discussion, will have a discussion with CLC tomorrow nite. I will keep u update.

thanks thanks :)

Been busy during the weekend at the Lifestyle 21 exhibition in Expo. Been tok to few diff IDs co. and get some idea from them, seem like the price range for make over my place will need ard $30k-$40k min.

Hai.... seem like quite over my budget..... try to save the money yet lots of thing wanna to do.... Any 1 going to the exhibition? seem like the IDs co. are not realli well-known or seldom c it in the forum, are they trustable?

List of IDs i tok to during the Lifestyle Exhibition @ expo:

1.Unixmax Creative

2.Dyel

3.OrangeCube

4.Plush

5.Start Ideas

6.Xerxes I Design

Any comments on these IDs co.??

Been busy during the weekend at the Lifestyle 21 exhibition in Expo. Been tok to few diff IDs co. and get some idea from them, seem like the price range for make over my place will need ard $30k-$40k min.

Hai.... seem like quite over my budget..... try to save the money yet lots of thing wanna to do.... Any 1 going to the exhibition? seem like the IDs co. are not realli well-known or seldom c it in the forum, are they trustable?

List of IDs i tok to during the Lifestyle Exhibition @ expo:

1.Unixmax Creative

2.Dyel

3.OrangeCube

4.Plush

5.Start Ideas

6.Xerxes I Design

Any comments on these IDs co.??

Hmm..out of your list, I only heard unimax, orangecube and plush.

My colleague uses unimax few yrs back and has very bad experience with them.

The other 2 seems ok as i see some RT uses them. :yamseng:

Any 1 can give me some feedack??

Hi, I met up with Arlene from Orangecube previously. Quite okie, just feel she is abit cold, chemistry is not there. :)

Otherwise, I think Orangecube is generally gd as they designed many HDB showflats in the past. Quotation is on the high side. :)

Hmm..out of your list, I only heard unimax, orangecube and plush.

My colleague uses unimax few yrs back and has very bad experience with them.

The other 2 seems ok as i see some RT uses them. :yamseng:

Thanks. But the quote from ***** and plush seem like on the high side. :(

thanks thanks :)

Met up with Leslie and Jeremy of CLC. A bit beng-ish in his appearance but quite nice fellow. Hubby and I feel pretty comfortable. Price is slightly more than contractors but he is offering better stuff. hubby is pretty impressed but wants to keep options open and talk to a couple more before deciding.

Actually got good comments of them from quite a few of the forumners so decided to speak to them.

Met up with Leslie and Jeremy of CLC. A bit beng-ish in his appearance but quite nice fellow. Hubby and I feel pretty comfortable. Price is slightly more than contractors but he is offering better stuff. hubby is pretty impressed but wants to keep options open and talk to a couple more before deciding.

Actually got good comments of them from quite a few of the forumners so decided to speak to them.

Samgalz,

Roughly how much they quote u for ur reno? R u going to fully renovate ur place?

Samgalz,

Roughly how much they quote u for ur reno? R u going to fully renovate ur place?

I will not do flooring...more on carpentry works. was in the $2xk, pretty much the same with eveyone i asked to quote.