Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
heatwave

Good And Resonable Contractors / Builders To Recommend + Help Required

Hi all,

I am a newbie to the forum and would require some assistance in getting a good builder/main contractor. I have already engaged an architect and a PE and we are in the final stages of the planning phase. Next week we will be preparing to tender and i was hoping to get a few good builders/main contractors to join the tender. My architect has asked me to scout for a few on my own while she recommends the rest so that it would be a fair tender plus it also gives us more options to work with. Any good recommendations, please PM me.

Next i would like to get some guidance of the estmate budget of my works.

I bought an inter terrace in the east and the land size is 1722ft. Current built up area is approx 2200ft and it is 2 stories. Planning to do some A&A with a budget of approx 250k. Is it possible for the following works.

1. Built car porch and car ramp (Current house does not have a car slot due to it being on a slope)

2. Do some landscaping for front and back

3. Shift ground toilet position

4. New structure extention of 1st floor and 2nd floor to max allowed. (2m from boundary line)

5. Utilise the top of the new extention as a roof terrace

6. 2m x 2m plunge pool

7. Full tile change for whole house + parquet for 2nd floor and painting of whole hse

8. 4 x wardrobes + kicthen cabinets + 3 x toilet cabinets

9. Boundary walls for front and back + remote sliding gate

10. Change all windows in the house

11. Full electrical and aircon rewiring (Due current elec system is a 1 phase. Plan to upgrade to 3 phase.)

12. Front facade remains unchanged except for painting, windows change and relocation of main entrance due to the creation of a car ramp. (Anyway i cant do much to the front as A&A requirements does not allow more then 50% facade change.)

13. New spiral stairs to access roof terrace.

14. Improvement of drainage system

That i guess is most of the works i can think off the calf right now. Appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi all,

I am a newbie to the forum and would require some assistance in getting a good builder/main contractor. I have already engaged an architect and a PE and we are in the final stages of the planning phase. Next week we will be preparing to tender and i was hoping to get a few good builders/main contractors to join the tender. My architect has asked me to scout for a few on my own while she recommends the rest so that it would be a fair tender plus it also gives us more options to work with. Any good recommendations, please PM me.

I bought an inter terrace in the east and the land size is 1722ft. Current built up area is approx 2200ft and it is 2 stories. Planning to do some A&A with a budget of approx 250k. Is it possible for the following works.

1. Built car porch and car ramp (Current house does not have a car slot due to it being on a slope)

4. New structure extention of 1st floor and 2nd floor to max allowed. (2m from boundary line)

6. 2m x 2m plunge pool

7. Full tile change for whole house + parquet for 2nd floor and painting of whole hse

11. Full electrical and aircon rewiring (Due current elec system is a 1 phase. Plan to upgrade to 3 phase.)

12. Front facade remains unchanged except for painting, windows change and relocation of main entrance due to the creation of a car ramp. (Anyway i cant do much to the front as A&A requirements does not allow more then 50% facade change.)

That i guess is most of the works i can think off the calf right now. Appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Hi,

Since you already had in mind what to do, you dun need an ID. A contractor will do. You can try my contractor Ben from Midas Interior Renovation. My current apartment is renovating now and everything goes smoothly. I find him good cos he manage to slove my problems and most of all.. very resonable charge. I am not promoting him lah.. just the recent search of contractor made me headache.. luckily, got this contractor from a friend's. If you are interested, I can PM you his contact.

Good Luck! :yamseng:

Hi,

Since you already had in mind what to do, you dun need an ID. A contractor will do. You can try my contractor Ben from Midas Interior Renovation. My current apartment is renovating now and everything goes smoothly. I find him good cos he manage to slove my problems and most of all.. very resonable charge. I am not promoting him lah.. just the recent search of contractor made me headache.. luckily, got this contractor from a friend's. If you are interested, I can PM you his contact.

Good Luck! :yamseng:

Hi,

Thanks for the respond. Just to verify that your contractor is a pure contractor or a contractor cum id. Anyway does he do A&A. Could i have his contact pmed to me. Appreciate the help. Thanks.

Any forumers have any other good recommendations?

Hi all,

6. 2m x 2m plunge pool

Certain fees such as architect's fee, submission charges, upgrading of electrical works are similar for A&A and reconstruction. With reconstruction, you actually plan the building to your taste and you could have planter boxes at the balcony areas to fence off direct sunlight and probably a bigger plunge pool, higher ceiling, more bedrooms, bigger toilets, etc...

In this way, you will be able to build your house to your taste and you need not be constraint by the A&A requirements of not allowing more than 50% change to the facade.

Cheers!

Hi all,

1. Built car porch and car ramp (Current house does not have a car slot due to it being on a slope) - i don't have

2. Do some landscaping for front and back - i don't have coz i no $$

3. Shift ground toilet position - i have

4. New structure extention of 1st floor and 2nd floor to max allowed. (2m from boundary line) - i have also did this without piling

5. Utilise the top of the new extention as a roof terrace - my quote has this as a small 20sqm room but no toilet

6. 2m x 2m plunge pool - didn't do this coz i need to park 2 cars

7. Full tile change for whole house + parquet for 2nd floor and painting of whole hse - i have but i got timber strips, seriously i duno what's the difference except pattern

8. 4 x wardrobes + kicthen cabinets + 3 x toilet cabinets - carpentry not included in my quote

9. Boundary walls for front and back + remote sliding gate - included but i got those 2panel gates

10. Change all windows in the house - got also, but i got full height windows

11. Full electrical and aircon rewiring (Due current elec system is a 1 phase. Plan to upgrade to 3 phase.) - i got this also with daikin inverter aircon for all rooms no dining and living

12. Front facade remains unchanged except for painting, windows change and relocation of main entrance due to the creation of a car ramp. (Anyway i cant do much to the front as A&A requirements does not allow more then 50% facade change.) - cannot change either so same same except i got change to full length windows and doors

13. New spiral stairs to access roof terrace. - got normal staircase coz my attic is room

14. Improvement of drainage system - complete overhaul

my extras = additional toilet in 2nd floor, change the ic further behind so it's not in the granny room, new metal roof

i got my quote today for something similar for your above @ 280k, i put in my comments liao

i also got 2nd quote from the same builder, 310k but the difference is my attic become entire size of 2nd floor instead of the pathetic 20sqm which i can then use as my giantic masterbedroom with walk-in wardrobe, toilets, cabinets for bags and shoes with roof terrace.

sorry to hijack, so do you think the extra 30k for using entire attic space is more worth it?

Edited by pantieileen

Certain fees such as architect's fee, submission charges, upgrading of electrical works are similar for A&A and reconstruction. With reconstruction, you actually plan the building to your taste and you could have planter boxes at the balcony areas to fence off direct sunlight and probably a bigger plunge pool, higher ceiling, more bedrooms, bigger toilets, etc...

In this way, you will be able to build your house to your taste and you need not be constraint by the A&A requirements of not allowing more than 50% change to the facade.

Cheers!

Hi leechaorui,

Thanks for the advice. Just like to check, what are the main differences between a&a and reconstruction. I understand that there are some additional cost involved other the those highlighted. I also thought the submission costs were slightly higher for reconstruction. I believe, that there is also some financing differences between the 2 rite. Think it has got something to do with the usage of CPF for reconstruction.

Cheers,

Thanks for the help

i got my quote today for something similar for your above @ 280k, i put in my comments liao

i also got 2nd quote from the same builder, 310k but the difference is my attic become entire size of 2nd floor instead of the pathetic 20sqm which i can then use as my giantic masterbedroom with walk-in wardrobe, toilets, cabinets for bags and shoes with roof terrace.

sorry to hijack, so do you think the extra 30k for using entire attic space is more worth it?

Hi pantieileen,

Thanks for the help. Looking at your response, our works are pretty similiar. Which builder are you using, also did you get an architect. As for the cost, i think mine may exceed my budget becuz of the car ramp. Believe it is going to cost like 30k more to put in a ramp. Sianz. Anyway your works include reroofing isit. Are you going to change the roof structure also. What was your quote for your roofing.

Anyway thanks for the info. Appreciate it. My tender is currently ongoing, and will probably get an update next week. Is it possible topm methe contact of your builders as well as the quote. Will able to use it as a guide incase the contractors overcharge.

As for the attic, the extension will definitely increase your GFA rite. It is always good to increase your GFA to the max. Just make sure it falls between the A&A limit unless you are doing reconstruction. If i had the option to make an Attic, i also would. Also note the BCA regulations for stairs that connects to the attic. Very impt to note or else your submission wont clear. 30k additional for an attic is abt rite. It is more or less ard there.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Hi leechaorui,

Thanks for the advice. Just like to check, what are the main differences between a&a and reconstruction. I understand that there are some additional cost involved other the those highlighted. I also thought the submission costs were slightly higher for reconstruction. I believe, that there is also some financing differences between the 2 rite. Think it has got something to do with the usage of CPF for reconstruction.

Cheers,

Thanks for the help

In general A&A involves minor works to an existing landed house while reconstruction is a proposal to replace a substantial part of the house by construction. The distinction between A&A and reconstruction depends on the extent of work proposed. Substantial means 50% or more of the follow factors:

(a) GFA (Gross Floor Area): Amount of new GFA added compared with existing.

(b) The removal and replacement of existing external wall with new walls or the construction of new walls.

© Structure elements eg. columns and beams, slabs : The removal and replacement of existing column/ beams/ floor slabs or the construction of new columns/ beams/ floor slabs.

In addition to (a) and ©, the proposal is considered reconstruction regardless of whether the works exceeds 50% of the existing building when there is an increase in the storey height. (ie changes in the roof involving an additional storey) and change in housing form eg. from a semi detached to a detached house.

The processing fee charged by the authorities commensurate with the amount of processing work involved in evaluating the proposal. The processing fee for an A&A proposal differs from that for a reconstruction which is based on new erection rates. You can check out at URA website or office for the Circular No. URA/PB/2005/19-DCD dated 22 July 2005 for the current fee schedule. Alternatively, you can call URA at their DCD customer hotline at 62234811 to make enquries.

Overall, my view is submission fee to the authorities constitute only a small fraction of the total cost of constructing your house. This should not be a major consideration factor. What is more important is whether you will feel happy with the A&Aed or reconstructed house after the work has been completed. If you are going to feel that A&A will not satisfy your needs substantially, my advice is to go for reconstruction or even erection. I know of people who do A&A and tear down the place for erection after 2 years. To me, it is expensive to invest a few hundred thousand and "enjoy" the renovation for only 2 years.

Just my view. :)

Cheers!

P/S: For CPF usage, it depends on your case. Better for you to call CPF directly to check. The CPF staff are very helpful and you can have a conversation where they can answer your queries.

Edited by leechaorui

Yes need a team even if it's a&a.I suspect if you go to normal Id or contractor tell them u want a&a they probably cost in the architect and pe fees inside and tell u they wave it off. My experience after 14id or contractor or builders whatever they call themselves

Reconstruction can use cpf meh? Tot full cash only?

Anyway on a seperate note, these days when I logon to propertyguru I see alot of contractors or investors buying old houses tearing them down then resell at 500k higher after adding in reconstruction cost then I feel very tulan. Find these opportunist very disgusting ESP when I get calls or leaflets asking me to sell my unit to them then they build nicely and sell me back... Can't imagine I encounter not one but 3such greedy contractors. No money reconstruct so left the unit rotting for 3yr is wrong meh

In general A&A involves minor works to an existing landed house while reconstruction is a proposal to replace a substantial part of the house by construction. The distinction between A&A and reconstruction depends on the extent of work proposed. Substantial means 50% or more of the follow factors:

(a) GFA (Gross Floor Area): Amount of new GFA added compared with existing.

(b) The removal and replacement of existing external wall with new walls or the construction of new walls.

© Structure elements eg. columns and beams, slabs : The removal and replacement of existing column/ beams/ floor slabs or the construction of new columns/ beams/ floor slabs.

In addition to (a) and ©, the proposal is considered reconstruction regardless of whether the works exceeds 50% of the existing building when there is an increase in the storey height. (ie changes in the roof involving an additional storey) and change in housing form eg. from a semi detached to a detached house.

The processing fee charged by the authorities commensurate with the amount of processing work involved in evaluating the proposal. The processing fee for an A&A proposal differs from that for a reconstruction which is based on new erection rates. You can check out at URA website or office for the Circular No. URA/PB/2005/19-DCD dated 22 July 2005 for the current fee schedule. Alternatively, you can call URA at their DCD customer hotline at 62234811 to make enquries.

Overall, my view is submission fee to the authorities constitute only a small fraction of the total cost of constructing your house. This should not be a major consideration factor. What is more important is whether you will feel happy with the A&Aed or reconstructed house after the work has been completed. If you are going to feel that A&A will not satisfy your needs substantially, my advice is to go for reconstruction or even erection. I know of people who do A&A and tear down the place for erection after 2 years. To me, it is expensive to invest a few hundred thousand and "enjoy" the renovation for only 2 years.

Just my view. :)

Cheers!

P/S: For CPF usage, it depends on your case. Better for you to call CPF directly to check. The CPF staff are very helpful and you can have a conversation where they can answer your queries.

Hi Leechaorui,

thanks so much for advise. Greatly appreciate it.

Chkeers

Just to check with you guys, do you need a consultant team of architect, engineer to carry out A&A works?

what about QS? and heatwave seems like there's already a team calling tender for the above works, isnt the exercise gonna cost more money and time?

Hi valuehunter,

You do not need a team consisting of an architect and engineer to carry out a&a works. Minimum you probably need is a PE and main contractor. The requirement for a PE is for the proposals, drawings and submission and the main contractor for the construction works. The architect is an option. The only reason i got in an architect was to come up with the design of my house. Since it is an inter terrace, i wanted to revamp the whole house to make it look different from other inter terraces, rather then have the standard square shape terrace with some deco. And yes, fortunate for me my architect manage to do it by designing the back of my house into to 2 annexes. She also made some changes to the front to make the existing front of the house compliment the back. If you get a PE to do the design, sometimes the designs are rather simple. But i do know some PEs who are pretty good at shaping the house too.

And yes your are right, using an architect will cost you a bit more rather then just going with a PE. But as i said i did not mind spending the extra money as i wanted a *****. As for the tendering process, it is recommended that you do it so that you can compare quotes and look for the best offer for your works. Is is always better to get a few quotes rather then have 1 as you might not know if the builder is overcharging you. The tender process takes approximately ard 2 - 3 weeks and after that you are good to go to sign the contract. To prevent yourself from wasting time, like what i did, i managed the tender process by scheduling it during the period where i am waiting for my submissions to be approved. URA takes abt 4 weeks and BCA abt 2 weeks. By the time all the submissions are approved, i would have already settled my tender and have abt 2 weeks for my main con to prep before building works can officially begin(submission cleared). No point starting works to early when your submissions are not cleared as you cant build anything yet. The most you can do if you want to start works abit earlier while waiting for the submissions would be to get the work site set up and do the hacking works.

Hope that clarifies.

Cheers

heatwave