Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sunny03

Changing Of Job

Hi

need to seek some your advise...

I had been working in a MNC for 6 yrs... since i ORD, recently got a job offer from a SME but it required me to handle a bunch of old birds and at least 2 of them are problematic. Should i take this offer ??? benefit not as gd as present and i am getting married at end of this year..

I would like to take a look at the outside world after having being "lock up" for so long ... what should i do ...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi

I had been working in a MNC for 6 yrs... since i ORD, recently got a job offer from a SME but it required me to handle a bunch of old birds and at least 2 of them are problematic. Should i take this offer ??? benefit not as gd as present and i am getting married at end of this year..

I would like to take a look at the outside world after having being "lock up" for so long ... what should i do ...

Unless it is a higher position, I do not see any point for you to jump ship.

Hi

If you weren't getting married, I would encourage you to change your work environment to gain more work experience beyond working for a MNC. However, since you are and the SME doesn't sound like a strong company, you better stay put in the MNC.

Realise this :

1) Getting married while still working in a MNC has its perks. You get the extended marriage leave entitlements, compassionate leave to attend to your future wife and children along the way, and colleagues support and understanding when family troubles happen.

2) You have worked for 6 years already. Yes, your pay may be incrementing slower than our GST or Stamp Duty but be thankful that it is at least increasing.

3) If your MNC folds, you get to enjoy retrenchment benefits. SMEs may not pay you a cent !

4) Look beyond your current job's monotony by learning from other depts' task and responsibility. You will be surprised by how much knowledge you still lack. If your superior has an opportunity for you to move sideways, do it. It is better than leaving the company and into the 'fire'.

Edited by asoon88

Realise this :

1) Getting married while still working in a MNC has its perks. You get the extended marriage leave entitlements, compassionate leave to attend to your future wife and children along the way, and colleagues support and understanding when family troubles happen.

==> Quite truth but not 100%. Technically , most MNC perks is better. But I come across a MNC which follow Singapore Labour law /employment Act strictly. Mean those not come under by Law/ACT. They will ignore.

Eg.

1. when childcare leave is not compulsory by law. They refused to give. Reason: our salary above 1.6k. Not under employment Act.

2. Annual Leave fix at 15 days. No +1 day every yr. B'coz no law say must increase every yr

3. NO Bonus. As they treat AWS is bonus

3) If your MNC folds, you get to enjoy retrenchment benefits. SMEs may not pay you a cent !

==> Not truth, I come across fews MNC.

1 fold .. only give 1 mth notice pay. No retrenchment benefits

Another one, friend working there for 8-9 yrs. The company only give 2 mth.

Another one, working there for 8 yrs, the company give 1 service yr = 2 wk pay.

If happen your appointment letter has a clause of Termination with notice from employer side.

The company can use this clause, terminate your employment service only pay you the mth-in-lieu.

Realise this :

==> Quite truth but not 100%. Technically , most MNC perks is better. But I come across a MNC which follow Singapore Labour law /employment Act strictly. Mean those not come under by Law/ACT. They will ignore.

Eg.

1. when childcare leave is not compulsory by law. They refused to give. Reason: our salary above 1.6k. Not under employment Act.

2. Annual Leave fix at 15 days. No +1 day every yr. B'coz no law say must increase every yr

3. NO Bonus. As they treat AWS is bonus

==> Not truth, I come across fews MNC.

1 fold .. only give 1 mth notice pay. No retrenchment benefits

Another one, friend working there for 8-9 yrs. The company only give 2 mth.

Another one, working there for 8 yrs, the company give 1 service yr = 2 wk pay.

If happen your appointment letter has a clause of Termination with notice from employer side.

The company can use this clause, terminate your employment service only pay you the mth-in-lieu.

The advice given to sunny03 is to make him look again into his existing company's benefits before he decides to jump ship.

In Singapore, unless you are a civil servant, nothing is guaranteed even if it is written in your letter of employment.

I used to work for a British company. I was never paid AWS despite it being written in my letter of employment. The company's situation was dire then but I lived thru' it for 8 years before the company folded last year. Many of my ex-colleagues were given 2 wks pay per 1 yr served as retrenchment benefit. The Employment Act serves as a guideline for employers. It has no power to enforce all recommendations on employers to follow the guidelines. That is why employees deprived of additional childcare leave or AWS are left to fend for themselves even if they report the company to MOM. Only the CPF Act has power to rein errant employers.

My ex-CEO once asked me, why do you (Singapore) have a 13th month pay (AWS) ? There are only 12 months in a year !

AWS is NOT bonus. Many Singaporeans treat the 13th mth pay as bonus and a given. It is not. In most other countries, a bonus is given provided the company has done exceeding well. The bonus is meant to entice employees to keep up productivity and minimise wastage. That is why Taiwanese & HK people are so "bonus" driven in their work. Singaporeans and our "government-invited foreign talent" are the complete opposite. Thanks to the 13mth AWS. Whether you perform or not, you will still get a minimum of the AWS.

Singapore should do away with the 13mth pay system. The civil service will be more responsive thereafter.

The advice given to sunny03 is to make him look again into his existing company's benefits before he decides to jump ship.

In Singapore, unless you are a civil servant, nothing is guaranteed even if it is written in your letter of employment.

I used to work for a British company. I was never paid AWS despite it being written in my letter of employment. The company's situation was dire then but I lived thru' it for 8 years before the company folded last year. Many of my ex-colleagues were given 2 wks pay per 1 yr served as retrenchment benefit. The Employment Act serves as a guideline for employers. It has no power to enforce all recommendations on employers to follow the guidelines. That is why employees deprived of additional childcare leave or AWS are left to fend for themselves even if they report the company to MOM. Only the CPF Act has power to rein errant employers.

My ex-CEO once asked me, why do you (Singapore) have a 13th month pay (AWS) ? There are only 12 months in a year !

AWS is NOT bonus. Many Singaporeans treat the 13th mth pay as bonus and a given. It is not. In most other countries, a bonus is given provided the company has done exceeding well. The bonus is meant to entice employees to keep up productivity and minimise wastage. That is why Taiwanese & HK people are so "bonus" driven in their work. Singaporeans and our "government-invited foreign talent" are the complete opposite. Thanks to the 13mth AWS. Whether you perform or not, you will still get a minimum of the AWS.

Singapore should do away with the 13mth pay system. The civil service will be more responsive thereafter.

In principle, I agree with you but I guess life is unfair. Civil servants are seriously non competitive. I try posting some stuff at the post office and I vomited blood. Also you observe how certain civil service operates, you will be pissed off these people earns a big fat package while making less contribution. I ever did approach HDB to get some piping, layout drawings and even photocopying the drawing and just waiting for the engineer to sign takes a week and cost $100..LOL!

How big is your British company? Well, my CEO wont ask about the 13th month pay system because he has a much fatter package with 2 personal plane to fly around so he usually shuts his bloody mouth...

well i had made up my mind to change to the SME

hope i can do better there

thanks for all ur advise ...

now i need to get back to look for a/c, furniture etc for my new home

well i had made up my mind to change to the SME

hope i can do better there

thanks for all ur advise ...

now i need to get back to look for a/c, furniture etc for my new home

Admire your courages, should be that way. Life is a process with endless uncertainties ahead. A small step at one go, steady & firm. No u-turn, look ahead. Take it & shoulder it.

After ROD in 1984, I stayed in an small electronic firm for abt 6 months before going over to MRTC then seconded to SMRT, there I spent abt 5 years while doing part-time night study for 2 years. Have some previliges to try many "first" - eg The golen $1 coin -Before circulations, started using this coin doing programming into the Ticketing Vending Machine, using other foreign coins -make sure rejected by the machine, this coin has special ingredients, specially designed for MRT.

Joined a Service company who posted me to SGH where I cycled under tunnels, saw dead bodies, seeing blood dripped onto visitors' head from telelift system--- I left afer 3 months, wrong post!. After this joined a power-electronic firm for 11 years, where I have a record of $17k yr end bonus. I got promotions in titles as well as $ along the way. Last 3 of the 11 yr was promoted to service manager to lead 7-man, providing technical support to Asia Pacific Region. Since then, travelled to abt 20 countries, mostly alone.

Now with an Energy co for slightly more than 6 yrs.......I understand not a simple/easy decision to switch job.

I've standby taxi driving license for more than 10 years, attended refresher course many time but drove actual taxi one for abt 1 hr. I told myself to retire at 50, but have not done "anything" to path this.

Edited by bepgof

Admire your courages, should be that way. Life is a process with endless uncertainties ahead. A small step at one go, steady & firm. No u-turn, look ahead. Take it & shoulder it.

After ROD in 1984, I stayed in an small electronic firm for abt 6 months before going over to MRTC then seconded to SMRT, there I spent abt 5 years while doing part-time night study for 2 years. Have some previliges to try many "first" - eg The golen $1 coin -Before circulations, started using this coin doing programming into the Ticketing Vending Machine, using other foreign coins -make sure rejected by the machine, this coin has special ingredients, specially designed for MRT.

Joined a Service company who posted me to SGH where I cycled under tunnels, saw dead bodies, seeing blood dripped onto visitors' head from telelift system--- I left afer 3 months, wrong post!. After this joined a power-electronic firm for 11 years, where I have a record of $17k yr end bonus. I got promotions in titles as well as $ along the way. Last 3 of the 11 yr was promoted to service manager to lead 7-man, providing technical support to Asia Pacific Region. Since then, travelled to abt 20 countries, mostly alone.

Now with an Energy co for slightly more than 6 yrs.......I understand not a simple/easy decision to switch job.

I've standby taxi driving license for more than 10 years, attended refresher course many time but drove actual taxi one for abt 1 hr. I told myself to retire at 50, but have not done "anything" to path this.

yes it is hard to change job after so many years... i am planing to get a taxi license also ... which company is better ?

yes it is hard to change job after so many years... i am planing to get a taxi license also ... which company is better ?

Lost touch with this mkt, don't know which is best. Younger bro with Prime, 3rd bro with NTUC. Have deposited $1k with NTUC but took back already, many years ago. When need arises then study which is good.

Ever though of these "plans" for after 50 yr old.(car loan finish, house loan finish)

- Put $200k in stock mkt for "in" & "out". Targetted "average" monthly profit 2K-3K.

- Drive taxi, average daily profit = $80-$100

or

- buy a 700-800k private residential unit & rent out for monthly "profit" (rental-instalment)= $500-$1K

- Drive taxi, avg daily profit=80-100

Any better proposal?

Edited by bepgof

Lost touch with this mkt, don't know which is best. Younger bro with Prime, 3rd bro with NTUC. Have deposited $1k with NTUC but took back already, many years ago. When need arises then study which is good.

Ever though of these "plans" for after 50 yr old.(car loan finish, house loan finish)

- Put $200k in stock mkt for "in" & "out". Targetted "average" monthly profit 2K-3K.

- Drive taxi, average daily profit = $80-$100

or

- buy a 700-800k private residential unit & rent out for monthly "profit" (rental-instalment)= $500-$1K

- Drive taxi, avg daily profit=80-100

Any better proposal?

Why not think of doing a francishing business, with little investments and put in efforts...

then you can add 1 more onto your list.... "Planning where to go for holiday every month"

Planning who to catch up for chit chat , shopping or kopi everyday?

well i had handed in my resignation giving 1 mth notice to them.

However, they are prolonging my notice period by 5 days as my marriage leave which i applies before falls within the notice period.

Are there such rules? below are the "TAI CHI" which my company HR are good at

HR inform me that is it company polices that if i use my marriage leave during my notice period, my last day at the company will be prolong, but when i demand for the policy to be shown they are unable to proof to me.

Then they told me that it is under Employment Act... but i could not find any info regarding marriage leave cannot be used under the notice period except Using Reservist Period as Notice of Termination. Worst i cant get through the MOM phone line the whole day...

Are there really such rules ?? if it is policies why no written evidence..

i am lucky that i choose to leave this company... after working for 6 yrs i only been to 3 courses which are conducted in house.... and now this is how they treat me ....

hi bro

i was with SME before...anyw if u r drawing above 1.6k per mth, u do not fall under MOM so no pt calling them.

it is possible for that to be under company policy....cos it seems fair..its almost the same as if u have tendered and its bonus period, is the co obliged to pay bonus? well some may say yes cos its for current yr work while some may say no its to reward existing staff...

anyw good luck ya in ur new job..

Well i won the battle...

marriage leave is not under employment act... and company cannot produce documentation about their so called policy.... hahah

Well i won the battle...

marriage leave is not under employment act... and company cannot produce documentation about their so called policy.... hahah

Hi, Singapore is pretty small, always try to make a "happy exit". Can easily run into the one you "hate" one day.

Edited by bepgof