Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sunny03

Changing Of Job

Well i won the battle...

marriage leave is not under employment act... and company cannot produce documentation about their so called policy.... hahah

Hi Sunny.. so what hv u been busy with lately??? got a new job liao??

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Sunny.. so what hv u been busy with lately??? got a new job liao??

exit interview tmr...

using the marriage leave to paint my house

starting work next month... any PT lobang ???

Good luck on persuing your new career. For me, working from home is best thing that's happened to me. After Ritz Plumbing finishes our sewer line repair in west Hollywood, we should be ready to get into the high season.

I have been working for more than 30 years since school. My experience has been mainly american and europe MNCs. I had worked in a local company earlier in my career.

My personal opinion is that a good place to work is where you are happy with your compensation package and equally important, you can work with your boss. Another important consideration is mainly for the long timers, working in one company for more than 10 years and are in their 50s. You will need to seriously consider the reality of being retrenched or out of job and what protection do you have in terms of layoff packages. When you hit this age level, you need to consider that getting another job with the same conditions will not be easy, and will take a long time, and you would probably have dependents to support.

This happened to me recently in that I was made redundant for no good reasons after having worked my butt off for this company for 9 years. I was a senior executive and was drawing a very decent salary, and overnight, I was without a job. I naively thought I would be given a at least 1 month for every year of service which would be quite a substantial amount for me. I was completely wrong. The people who handled my exit did not know me and went by the book, which is my employment contract which means notice period. I was SHOCKED!!! but that is the reality of our work life in Singapore. Professionals, managers and executives, popularly known as PMETs, are not protected by the Singapore Employment Act. Companies are not required to provide retrenchment benefits to PMETs. So if your employment letter or contract says 1 month notice, that is what you are legally entitled to, anything above this is ex gratia and at the discretion of the company. Do not assume that you will get something for every year of service.

The sad thing about this is that our society from birth to school to work has been geared towards elitism. Education with the top universities in the world are the aspiration for every parent for their child. Driving this is our highly engineered education system, a institution that starts streaming of children before they turn 12 years. It is therefore no surprise that a bachelor degree is the basic goal for most if not all parents for their children.

With the above, our society produces PMETs by the thousands every year. This is a very different scenario as compared to the 70s and 80s. Unfortunately, the Employment Act has not kept up with the times and demands of society. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the workforce today is made up of PMETs, and of this percentage, it would even more interesting to know the split between Singaporean and foreigners.

Important facts to note :

1 The global economy is unstable and forecast for the next 3 to 5 years are not overly optimistic

2 The number of PMETs are growing and if the percentage of PMETs are high vs the total workforce, then we have potentially serious problems

3 PMETs have no legal protection and are at the mercy / discretion of companies.

4 It would be idealistic if not naive to think that companies will have compassion and provide adequate retrenchment benefits in lieu of the economy

5 Other countries in the world, Asia and SEA have some form of protection for their workforce, regardless of PMETs or not.

Above are my personal experiences and opinions. Coming back to the forum question. My advise is still the following.

Whoever pays you a compensation package that you are comfortable with, and you got a boss that you can work with, that is a good company. If you are late 40s or above 50s, then check with them on their layoff policy or precedents, but try your very best to get it written into your contract. Lastly, pray that our employment act will be changed to protect the PMETs soon.

The longer you are with the company, the more money you get and then you become a target for cost cutting..

maybe we should start to reject pay increment after a certain amount...keke

btw...it is no joke to lose your job when you are above 40 years old...cos all new employers can kind of guess you did not leave willingly...and they will wonder why..and then they will rather not take the risk of spending big money on you..

Hi

need to seek some your advise...

I had been working in a MNC for 6 yrs... since i ORD, recently got a job offer from a SME but it required me to handle a bunch of old birds and at least 2 of them are problematic. Should i take this offer ??? benefit not as gd as present and i am getting married at end of this year..

I would like to take a look at the outside world after having being "lock up" for so long ... what should i do ...

I will never leave an MNC to join a SME...

Cos the next leave from SME is sole proprietor liao..keke..

I think in long term, it is best to stay in MNC cos if anything happen and kena sack, SME are still willing to take you in for the MNC experience..