Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
siron

Renting Out Procedures (hdb)

Hi Guys,

I have interested friend who wanted to rent a room in my HDB flat. I do not wish to go through agent, but I believe min I need to prepare a simple contract to state some rules and payment issue. Can anyone guide me on what do I need? i.e any contract template I could get from?

Thank You,

Siron

Hi,

Be it a friend or relative, it is still better to draw out a contract to safe guard yourself.

My Mother-In-Law had rented out her flat and its now in Legal Case where this Tenant default rental since Jan till now.

We have tried chain and changed the lock set yet he break open the lock calling a lock-smith to re-enter the premises.

This Tenant knows very well about Law and he is defending himself without a Lawyer.

The Tenant is now claiming my MIL over 2008 Agreement which no longer in force.

So, can i know if any knows, will the Tenant in this case be able to claim what he had lost.

Thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi,

Be it a friend or relative, it is still better to draw out a contract to safe guard yourself.

My Mother-In-Law had rented out her flat and its now in Legal Case where this Tenant default rental since Jan till now.

We have tried chain and changed the lock set yet he break open the lock calling a lock-smith to re-enter the premises.

This Tenant knows very well about Law and he is defending himself without a Lawyer.

The Tenant is now claiming my MIL over 2008 Agreement which no longer in force.

So, can i know if any knows, will the Tenant in this case be able to claim what he had lost.

Thanks.

Contract... you mean tenancy agreement, right? Was there a tenancy agreement stamped?

If tenant defaults on payment, you should get a writ of distress from the Court.

Remember you are the landlord, you own the apartment so you have the upper hand.

What was agreed in the tenancy agreement?

Edited by delirious_jeff

Hi Guys,

I have interested friend who wanted to rent a room in my HDB flat. I do not wish to go through agent, but I believe min I need to prepare a simple contract to state some rules and payment issue. Can anyone guide me on what do I need? i.e any contract template I could get from?

Thank You,

Siron

Contract template you can obtain by googling for it. There are many samples to refer to.

It is in the advantage of the tenant to get the agreement stamped. If the agreement is not stamped, they can evicted anytime.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=8578

Remember to get one month advance as security deposit.

wow...all the comments doesn't seem to paint a nice picture on renting out :P

Do you all set house rules for your tenants? Any sample to share?

I would like to rent out my room but looking through the comments here, am kind of worried on the outcome :(

There's certainly a bit of luck involved, you may get good tenants or nightmare ones. If you decide to rent your room out, you must be mentally prepared to handle it. And it's quite common to hear tenants breaking house rules that are set by owners.

My hand was almost cut just now. I have a standing utensil holder with multiple slots . I always put the knife with its blade downwards into the holder. My tenant placed the knife with its handle downwards and blade exposed, and it was in the same slot as the forks. One would have grab the knife blade with the bare hand, mistaking it for the fork if one doesn't look carefully enough.

It's partly my fault. I'm going to put the knife in my drawer instead. dangerous :P

Edited by forgotten

Anybody encounter this: :bangwall:

Previously I rent out one of my room to 2 student at S$600/month. My room only have a cabinet, a single bed and a shelf. So they said they only required a big wardrobe and a mirror as they already have 1 bed and writing table... So I bought a wardrobe and a mirror for them. Before moving in, one of the girl called up and asked me whether I can buy her existing bunk bed at S$200 as somebody want to buy her bed.... I said why I should buy as we already promise to provide them only 1 bed. She said if don't buy, how to rent to 2 person... Faintz.... So I bought a single bed from somewhere else as I think that S$200 for her second hand bed was expensive, morever it was a queen size bunk bed which I think I don't need that... after they moved in, they requested table lamp, shoe cabinet, bedsheet, a chair which we did no promised at first. But I still compromised and bought the things to them... Can I don't buy for them?? They even requested me to let them put their things in my storeroom as they said they did not have enough space. But at the 1st time, I already asked them whether the room was big enough for 2 persons as I only plan to rent to 1 person only and they said enough.

I don't know that they only study 3 hours a day at first. They always at home and switches on the air-con whenever they are at home. Can I request them to only switch on at night?

During Chinese New Year, they said they wanted to go back to their howntown for 1 month and asked me whether I can reduce the rental fee for that month. My husband thought that since they are student and we thought that they only once a while during new year, so we just charged them S$300 for that month. However, the things getting worse. Second time, one of them wanted to go back for 1 month and requested again. That time I said cannot reduce and she said why 1st time can. I told her because that time was Chinese New Year and we also did not know that they go back so often. and although she went back but still got 1 more person in the room, the air-con still running... And then she said at first I said S$500 for 1 person. (Because at the 1st time, I only plan to rent out to 1 person at S$500 only but she said she got friend want to share, so I rented 2 person at S$600). They always go back for holiday every term holidays and requested me to reduce the rental fee. Is there a rule that we should reduce the rental if the tenant go back for holiday?

And there are so many bad experiences with them, such as not wiping the hod area or sink area after cooking, do not throw their rubbish after cooking, left the food in the sink after washing the plates, left the used pot or plates in the sink until 1 day then wash, hanging the handwash clothings at the kitchen without letting the clothes to drip dry first in the bathroom, left the keys at the main door, and many many more which I have already reminded them over and over again.... And I always talk to them nicely but they take me for granted...

Finally, one of the girl said that she moving out as she said that she cannot afford to rent a room alone as another girl going to study overseas in Sept... But weird right, she already knew that another girl only stay for 9 months in the 1st place when they rent my room. At 1st I don't intend to rent to them as their student passes going to expire 9 months later but they said one of them will still continue her study here and will continue rent the room while another girl will go overseas to study. She only inform me that she going to move out soon after I asked her whether she has renewed her student pass as going to expire few days later. She said that her new school still processing the pass and she will apply for social visit pass first and said she going to move out soon and asked me to let her stay until she get a new room... I asked her to move out immediately as HDB cannot rent to short term social visit pass although her student pass is in process... So by right I should not pay full 1 month deposit to them as she never give me 1 month notice of moving out, right? But she said another girl still staying there until Sept what.... And also ask me to charge only S$500 for Sept instead of S$600 as left only 1 person for that month.... Hmmm... I don't want to argue with them anymore and I'm glad that they are moving out soon....

Is it that renting to student is a headache or renting to other working people also? :furious:

Edited by Babe

Previously I rent out one of my room to 2 student at S$600/month. My room only have a cabinet, a single bed and a shelf. So they said they only required a big wardrobe and a mirror as they already have 1 bed and writing table... So I bought a wardrobe and a mirror for them. Before moving in, one of the girl called up and asked me whether I can buy her existing bunk bed at S$200 as somebody want to buy her bed.... I said why I should buy as we already promise to provide them only 1 bed. She said if don't buy, how to rent to 2 person... Faintz.... So I bought a single bed from somewhere else as I think that S$200 for her second hand bed was expensive, morever it was a queen size bunk bed which I think I don't need that... after they moved in, they requested table lamp, shoe cabinet, bedsheet, a chair which we did no promised at first. But I still compromised and bought the things to them... Can I don't buy for them?? They even requested me to let them put their things in my storeroom as they said they did not have enough space. But at the 1st time, I already asked them whether the room was big enough for 2 persons as I only plan to rent to 1 person only and they said enough.

I don't know that they only study 3 hours a day at first. They always at home and switches on the air-con whenever they are at home. Can I request them to only switch on at night?

During Chinese New Year, they said they wanted to go back to their howntown for 1 month and asked me whether I can reduce the rental fee for that month. My husband thought that since they are student and we thought that they only once a while during new year, so we just charged them S$300 for that month. However, the things getting worse. Second time, one of them wanted to go back for 1 month and requested again. That time I said cannot reduce and she said why 1st time can. I told her because that time was Chinese New Year and we also did not know that they go back so often. and although she went back but still got 1 more person in the room, the air-con still running... And then she said at first I said S$500 for 1 person. (Because at the 1st time, I only plan to rent out to 1 person at S$500 only but she said she got friend want to share, so I rented 2 person at S$600). They always go back for holiday every term holidays and requested me to reduce the rental fee. Is there a rule that we should reduce the rental if the tenant go back for holiday?

And there are so many bad experiences with them, such as not wiping the hod area or sink area after cooking, do not throw their rubbish after cooking, left the food in the sink after washing the plates, left the used pot or plates in the sink until 1 day then wash, hanging the handwash clothings at the kitchen without letting the clothes to drip dry first in the bathroom, left the keys at the main door, and many many more which I have already reminded them over and over again.... And I always talk to them nicely but they take me for granted...

Finally, one of the girl said that she moving out as she said that she cannot afford to rent a room alone as another girl going to study overseas in Sept... But weird right, she already knew that another girl only stay for 9 months in the 1st place when they rent my room. At 1st I don't intend to rent to them as their student passes going to expire 9 months later but they said one of them will still continue her study here and will continue rent the room while another girl will go overseas to study. She only inform me that she going to move out soon after I asked her whether she has renewed her student pass as going to expire few days later. She said that her new school still processing the pass and she will apply for social visit pass first and said she going to move out soon and asked me to let her stay until she get a new room... I asked her to move out immediately as HDB cannot rent to short term social visit pass although her student pass is in process... So by right I should not pay full 1 month deposit to them as she never give me 1 month notice of moving out, right? But she said another girl still staying there until Sept what.... And also ask me to charge only S$500 for Sept instead of S$600 as left only 1 person for that month.... Hmmm... I don't want to argue with them anymore and I'm glad that they are moving out soon....

Is it that renting to student is a headache or renting to other working people also? :furious:

Renting to working adults can be headache too. You can read our stories above. There're good and bad tenants/owners out there.

Renting to working adults can be headache too. You can read our stories above. There're good and bad tenants/owners out there.

Contract... you mean tenancy agreement, right? Was there a tenancy agreement stamped?

If tenant defaults on payment, you should get a writ of distress from the Court.

Remember you are the landlord, you own the apartment so you have the upper hand.

What was agreed in the tenancy agreement?

Yes, Tenancy Agreement(TA).

All TA was stamped, reported to HDB and pay Income Tax.

However, this tenant default rental and did not pay STILL in the home.

Despite that we chain the gate and change the lockset, he broke it asking a locksmith to use Hydraulic pressure to cut the chain.

Now better still, he used his lock to locked the chain.

About getting the Writ Of Distress, it will be applicable when Landlord is selling the house.

Then, we can ask for Writ Of Distress which will eventually sell/auction all his belongings inside.

Now, we are not selling the house but to gain our possession.

Therefore, in this case, Writ of Distress is not applicable.

But i want to know, how come this process is so long despite that the Tenant defence himself.

Thanks to advise or anyone whom know can advice.

Hi dear all after reading all your stories.... i have some stories to share too. I got a client rent two of the rooms to a Japanese and Hong Kong dentist.

The Japanese usually leave early in the morning for work and come back late after 10pm. He set the aircon at temperature 27 to 28 degrees. He keeps his room very clean and even helps to wash the common toilet and bathroom really clean every week (more clean and sparkling than own master bedroom). He even buys his own cleaning products, blue toilet tablets and helps to mend the sink. He offen goes oversea trips and buys back really good & expensive souveneir like Japan tea set & dessert & chocolate. He also very environment care and recycle papers & plastic using the recycle bins

The Hong Kong one also comes back late as his clinic open from 9 am to 9 pm daily. He even works on Saturdays & Sundays. He is very afraid of cold so he uses the aircon at 25 degrees or above. As he subscribes to Starhub cable TV All groups unlimited and internet, he even offers to place his additional cable box at the livingroom for the owner to watch, plus internet. Last year he even subscribed to Worldcup channel and told the owner must watch. He also bought lao po bing back for the owner when he returned from HK.

Both of them stay in their room all the time. They only wash their laundry once a week. They do not use the kitchen at all and use the bathroom only once a day. Even though the HK smokes, he will go downstairs to smoke.

Both of them will automatic pay their rental before the month starts and earlier if they go overseas.

Sound great tenants!

Edited by Angelina

Hi dear all after reading all your stories.... i have some stories to share too. I got a client rent two of the rooms to a Japanese and Hong Kong dentist.

The Japanese usually leave early in the morning for work and come back late after 10pm. He set the aircon at temperature 27 to 28 degrees. He keeps his room very clean and even helps to wash the common toilet and bathroom really clean every week (more clean and sparkling than own master bedroom). He even buys his own cleaning products, blue toilet tablets and helps to mend the sink. He offen goes oversea trips and buys back really good & expensive souveneir like Japan tea set & dessert & chocolate. He also very environment care and recycle papers & plastic using the recycle bins

The Hong Kong one also comes back late as his clinic open from 9 am to 9 pm daily. He even works on Saturdays & Sundays. He is very afraid of cold so he uses the aircon at 25 degrees or above. As he subscribes to Starhub cable TV All groups unlimited and internet, he even offers to place his additional cable box at the livingroom for the owner to watch, plus internet. Last year he even subscribed to Worldcup channel and told the owner must watch. He also bought lao po bing back for the owner when he returned from HK.

Both of them stay in their room all the time. They only wash their laundry once a week. They do not use the kitchen at all and use the bathroom only once a day. Even though the HK smokes, he will go downstairs to smoke.

Both of them will automatic pay their rental before the month starts and earlier if they go overseas.

Sound great tenants!

sound great tenants but hard to find.

Yes... it takes time. The owner also had a hard time "screening" those viewing the place and reject those unsuitable. Some would ask " you mean you choose the tenants?".

The best part of it was the Hong Kong tenant. He only asked two questions: "Do you find me ok?" and " How much is the deposit to reserve the room?". Immediately, he took out cash and paid one month deposit.

Some are really fussy asked a lot of questions like how many people, who stay here? what they doing? how old? dont want this table....chair no good, bed too small, matress old....

Always choose those that are humble and polite. :)

Yes... it takes time. The owner also had a hard time "screening" those viewing the place and reject those unsuitable. Some would ask " you mean you choose the tenants?".

The best part of it was the Hong Kong tenant. He only asked two questions: "Do you find me ok?" and " How much is the deposit to reserve the room?". Immediately, he took out cash and paid one month deposit.

Some are really fussy asked a lot of questions like how many people, who stay here? what they doing? how old? dont want this table....chair no good, bed too small, matress old....

Always choose those that are humble and polite. :)

Well there are always problematic people around, including tenants and landlords.

I got 1 interesting person who came to view my room. When I told her that she was not allowed to bring people home, she asked me "Can I bring friends home for party and overnight stay?" :dancingqueen:

Edited by forgotten

i used to have ex tenant who snoring like a pig, somemore fat za bo. lucky she move out early. if i can't common room to rent out, i will use common room as study room. Now sourcing for frosted study table, all metal.

I also got client who had a tenant who every few minutes will come out of his room to take drinking water, boil water and take ice cubes, wash his water bottle, plates and cups.

He usually takes five minutes to wash one cup with lots of water and washing detergent. He will turn on the tap at full blash and use a long brush to scrub his things. After he did all his washing, refilling of water, boiling and everything, the whole kitchen table and floor will be full with water and soap. the water even drip all the way into the drawers and cupboards underneath. The worst part is that they are all made of wood and nicely maintained.

Even when he refil the thermal flask with hot water the area around the flask will be full of water. When he try refill the water in the ice case, the whole floor from the sink to the refrigerater will be wet and the freezer compartment also wet and the frige also wet with dripping water.

When he peel and cut the apple skin the whole floor also full of skin peels. Once the owner offered him a cut piece of apple with skin. He immediately go inside the kitchen to peel off the skin.

He only knows how to switch on the lights without switching off after using. When he came back and the house light was not on, he will turn on the lights all the way to his room. For example there is four switches on the socket bar, he will at one time switch on all four lights. He even left the iron on without switching off. The same apply to electric kettle.

He also cant be bothered to switch off the internet wireless modem after use in the nights. However when the owner put the modem inside his room for his convenient use, he will switch it off when not using cos he scared of radiation.

He also asked the owner to get water filter as he felt the singapore not clean. He changes and washes his pillow case everyday and washes a lot of clothes.

Dear all what do you think of the tenant?