Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
baby81984

3-room Resale In The West

First attempt at on ikea hack

Our final product:

IMAG0125.jpg

Not bad for $8. Still have the original base and 4 sides to play with... :)

I like!

Edited by curryqueen

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Adding colour to our home:

-a half successful project-

148776_456371254102_645509102_5570189_28

IMAG0166.jpg

Here is why its half successful... :(

IMAG0168.jpg

Paint also does not stick very well, no primer probably....

But overall still very satisfying!! :)

I must both of u got very handy hands! I like the ikea rack. The block u used to put the knives comes with it?

Thanks for the compliment! :)

yes the block for knifes is part of the ikea cutlery tray. i think its a discontinued item under the AS-IS department. Can try your luck there! :)

Issue with CNS continued:

So we tried this:

IMAG0012.jpg

Apparantly, the stuff will make the rust turn black and it acts as a primer for re-painting. Lucky for us our door is black so lazy us shall do away with painting once again. :P

hey gim, where can you get this? My CNS gate also kenna a bit of rust already..... sigh....

hey gim, where can you get this? My CNS gate also kenna a bit of rust already..... sigh....

i got it from Homely. :)

they have a few branches around singapore.

is ur gate is black? if its not black i think cannot use rust coverter as the rust converter turns the rust into a "black patch"..

i got it from Homely. :)

they have a few branches around singapore.

is ur gate is black? if its not black i think cannot use rust coverter as the rust converter turns the rust into a "black patch"..

yup it's black. Think the standard cheap CNS gate only have black colour, haha...

Alright, will check Homely out. thks. :)

Karang Guni Mission:

Met up with bro Dex to collect the grilles. Walked past his row of neighbours, so many of them still using the original HDB main door and grilles. :) Wished i had them!

Had trouble taking putting the whole door frame into the car, so had to throw part of the door grille away. After like 40mins of struggling and sweating, baby, my buddy and i finally managed to remove part of the door grille.

So im left with this part of the door grille...

1290346621051.jpg

1290346542914.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

This will be part of our walk in wardrobe, to hang some ties, accessories, etc. Will be making this the feature of the WIW by painting it in bright colours...can't wait for Nov to end to start on this!

With the help of my buddy's van, we carried the big window grille as well, its much heaviier than i thought!

IMAG0178.jpg

A closer look at the window grille:

1290346599488.jpg

A very satisfying weekend!! :)

Karang Guni Mission:

Met up with bro Dex to collect the grilles. Walked past his row of neighbours, so many of them still using the original HDB main door and grilles. :) Wished i had them!

Had trouble taking putting the whole door frame into the car, so had to throw part of the door grille away. After like 40mins of struggling and sweating, baby, my buddy and i finally managed to remove part of the door grille.

1290346621051.jpg

1290346542914.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

This will be part of our walk in wardrobe, to hang some ties, accessories, etc. Will be making this the feature of the WIW by painting it in bright colours...can't wait for Nov to end to start on this!

With the help of my buddy's van, we carried the big window grille as well, its much heaviier than i thought!

IMAG0178.jpg

A closer look at the window grille:

1290346599488.jpg

so my guess you are stripping bare the entire gate, sand them down and prepare for a fresh coat or primer and anti-rust paint? :rolleyes:

so my guess you are stripping bare the entire gate, sand them down and prepare for a fresh coat or primer and anti-rust paint? :rolleyes:

i think that would be the proper way. :)

im a bit inclined to try the shortcut way, still researching on feedback by users on this:

From Estore.com.sg:

hammerite.jpg

Hammerite Direct To Rust Metal Paint can be painted directly onto rusty surfaces, and thanks to its special 3 in 1 formula there is no need to use a primer or undercoat - saving you precious time!

Touch dry in an hour, Hammerite gives long-lasting protection and is suitable for use on a wide range of exterior metal including gates, railings, drainpipes, guttering and garden furniture.

Apply direct to rust

Protects for up to 5 years

No primer or undercoat required

For metal inside and outside the home

Looking to see another gimz+baby project.

Sorry, don't have much tools to aid your transportation..

Karang Guni Mission:

Looks like you have discovered another gem.

estore does have quite alota of goodies at a reasonably cheaper price. ;)

i think that would be the proper way. :)

im a bit inclined to try the shortcut way, still researching on feedback by users on this:

From Estore.com.sg:

hammerite.jpg

Hammerite Direct To Rust Metal Paint can be painted directly onto rusty surfaces, and thanks to its special 3 in 1 formula there is no need to use a primer or undercoat - saving you precious time!

Touch dry in an hour, Hammerite gives long-lasting protection and is suitable for use on a wide range of exterior metal including gates, railings, drainpipes, guttering and garden furniture.

Apply direct to rust

Protects for up to 5 years

No primer or undercoat required

For metal inside and outside the home

Karang Guni Mission:

1290346621051.jpg

This is really creative. I see that you hav a lot of DIY items. So what kind of door you will be having for your WIW? I intend to use curtains in place of doors. It is a cheaper alternative.

Looking to see another gimz+baby project.

Sorry, don't have much tools to aid your transportation..

Looks like you have discovered another gem.

estore does have quite alota of goodies at a reasonably cheaper price. ;)

:) i certainly discovere gems! ur window n door grilles...hahah... :)

its gonna be my project for december...still got quite some stuff to do for the WIW area...

yeap, estore pricing for paints are good as well, shud be making a trip there soon. :)

This is really creative. I see that you hav a lot of DIY items. So what kind of door you will be having for your WIW? I intend to use curtains in place of doors. It is a cheaper alternative.

well, me and wifey are certainly going to make use of this shifting house to "play" with all the stuff...its gonna be a once in a lifetime kinda thing. :)

right now, WIW is open concept. But im quite concerned with the dust problem, maybe would put up string curtains in future, though i still prefer the open concept style. :)

sliding doors are expensive and tend to give problems after a few years, i think curtains are better, cheaper and more cosy.

Ok, time for WIW area.

We used the broder system from IKEA. Its a metal pole system with T foot and can be customised to your preferences. Most importantly, loved the industrial look!

IMAG0040.jpg

We have 3 areas, one for shelving in the centre and 2 for hanging clothes. Got the metal shelvings from IKEA. :) But we faced a problem with the top shelving for the place where we hanged our clothes, IKEA's are too small!

Solution:

Wood Cut to size. $21 per piece. Cheaper than IKEA and its solid ply. :)

IMAG0095.jpg

Baby painted it metallic silver:

IMAG0239.jpg

Here is how it looks when we mount it:

IMAG0238.jpg

Edited by gimz63251073