Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
baby81984

3-room Resale In The West

hahah bro. this is definitely tedious job. even hands on ppl like u can complain. i rather pay ppl do for me! u took whole day leave just to do that?! i rather go do audit.

Wow, didn't know there's so many layers of paint residing on the grills.

Agreed with steelze. Thumbs up with your determination. Jia-you! :sport-smiley-003:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Why people do not remove old paint

I finally understood why. Because it is really really tiring and back breaking! Even with a paint remover. Got this from Homely @ Toh Guan.

Thought my job of removing rust would be a breeze with this. Well im only half correct.

Looks easy enough right? But the fact is that the paint remover is not able to remove mulitple layers of paint at one go. So its a tedious process of applying paint remover, scrap, re-apply, scrap...etc...

I managed to just scrap off paint for half the grille in around 3.5 hours. After that, almost felt like dying with an aching back...

But somehow, its very satisfying. I think its about the only time in my life when i am so happy to be able to see rust!

Comments:

- paint remover is really smelly!

- the removed paint is damm disgusting and impossible to clean (stained my slippers!)

- very strong and i think its acidic, my hands itched when it comes into contact.

After my back breaking exercise, i realised that i had only done half a door grille! I still have a much much bigger window grille! I am determined to just wash and paint over the window grille. If i have to remove the paint from that grille, i would probably be able to complete the project by next december... :P

Wow, that's a lot of work. Kudos to you. :yamseng:

Edited by coldflamez

Thanks guys, for your encouragement! :)

Well, unlike lousy contractors, i always use newspapers in my spraying and projects to keep the area clean.

IMAG0286.jpg

Spent another 4hrs+ on the grille again to scrape to remove paint, scrub clean and apply rust converter. Luckily wifey helped me me, if not my back would be long broken. Though the paint was not 100% removed, its quite clean with tons of rust!

Today is the day rust converter met its match.

IMAG0303.jpg

The rust converter was no match for tons of rust, a few layers of rust converter was still not able to convert all the rust.

:(

IMAG0299.jpg

Quite satisfied with the outcome, next week to paint using 3 in 1 paint (with rust converter function)!

Continuation of door grille project

Having coated the grille with tons of rust converter, we realised that some or lots of the rust did not get "converted" for god knows what reason. Hence decided to go ahead to paint it.

Recap of the "Before"

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

After rust converter:

IMAG0315.jpg

3 in 1 paint -> Rust remover, primer cum oil based paint

IMAG0186.jpg

Great success with the paint, it stuck really well. :) touch dry in 1.5hours or so. A thick layer is necessary as there are still lots of rust and anyway i tried it on my rusting CNS gate, works like a charm as well. :) Probably will get another bottle for the window grille and use it up on the gate later.

The half completed project

Painted half the grille, too excited by the results, can't wait to show pics!

Here it goes!

IMAG0332.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0340.jpg

The grille would be placed in my WIW area as a "feature wall". Will lean it against the wall for baby to hang some accessories, would take due care to ensure those accessories do not over clutter and cover up the grille. :)

So motivated by the results! It has been a great success so far. Baby managed to convince me not to be lazy and to scrap off the old paint from the window grille as well. So that we do a good job one time instead of keep re-touch up later :) So it shall again be a busy weekend.

We have looked at the grille, seems like the grille has only 1 layer of paint compared to multiple layers for the door grille. We sure are having fun! :)

Edited by gimz63251073

neighbour is an old couple, rarely at home...so no one complain me yet...haha...

almost the entire gate is rusted, though if we spend enough time, can technically scrap off the rust. But its too tiring and we have deadline....having our solemnisation in late feb, so have to get everything up by then...

still many projects to go....not sure if can finish... hmmmm

wow you two really jin power.

what happened to the CNS gate?

Hi! u still around...haaha...hope ur hse is getting better uh...?

CNS gate is still the main gate, more rust showing by the day... haiiizz

this retro gate is for display purposes... :)

Tyre coffee table (Work in progress)

Finally managed to secure a good priced glass from SJ Glass through a renotalk member. :)

74cm round shaped, 5mm tempered at $50. Its much cheaper than what was quoted by other glass makers.

Arrived to pick up at their workshop, found out that they do showerscreens, mirrors, etc. Forumers interested can try to google for them. (yes they are google-able) :)

Got the glass from them, acceptable quality. A small portion of the round edge was not so round though, but ok for me since its not noticeable. Saw a small flaw though. :(

IMAG0382.jpg

A little portion was chipped off...discovered it too late.. so will just live with it ba.

Sneak preview of tyre. Still have to fix castors and polish the tyres first before its completed.

IMAG0383.jpg

got 4 tyres here. actuallly 2 tyres would be "coffee table height". So i would have 2 extra. Maybe would use the other 2 tyres for other purposes like growing plants...?

Merry christmas!

Hi Gimz,

Merry Christmas and happy boxing day.

Ahh.. another completed project of baby+Gimz.

Well done! :good:

You ought to take a pic and showcase the Ginz+baby individual diy work :)

Tyre coffee table (Work in progress)

Finally managed to secure a good priced glass from SJ Glass through a renotalk member. :)

74cm round shaped, 5mm tempered at $50. Its much cheaper than what was quoted by other glass makers.

Arrived to pick up at their workshop, found out that they do showerscreens, mirrors, etc. Forumers interested can try to google for them. (yes they are google-able) :)

Got the glass from them, acceptable quality. A small portion of the round edge was not so round though, but ok for me since its not noticeable. Saw a small flaw though. :(

IMAG0382.jpg

A little portion was chipped off...discovered it too late.. so will just live with it ba.

Sneak preview of tyre. Still have to fix castors and polish the tyres first before its completed.

IMAG0383.jpg

got 4 tyres here. actuallly 2 tyres would be "coffee table height". So i would have 2 extra. Maybe would use the other 2 tyres for other purposes like growing plants...?

Merry christmas!