Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Louischen

Is This Compressed Marble?

Recently I chose a pure white tile , and was told that it was made of compressed marble @ $7 psf.

Basically this tile is made of 2 layers, 1/4 of the tile surface is the so called compressed marble, the remaining 3/4 is homogenous material.

What i would like to know is , are all compressed marble tiles made this way?

What sort of problems would I be facing if I were to use this tile?

Should this tile be laid like homogenous/ceramic tiles, or like marble with nearly no gap?

What about discolouration, yellowing and cracks?

dsc03291v.jpg

dsc03289x.jpg

Really hope some experienced forumer can enlighten me on the above issues.

TIA

Louis

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Recently I chose a pure white tile , and was told that it was made of compressed marble @ $7 psf.

Basically this tile is made of 2 layers, 1/4 of the tile surface is the so called compressed marble, the remaining 3/4 is homogenous material.

What i would like to know is , are all compressed marble tiles made this way?

What sort of problems would I be facing if I were to use this tile?

Should this tile be laid like homogenous/ceramic tiles, or like marble with nearly no gap?

What about discolouration, yellowing and cracks?

dsc03291v.jpg

dsc03289x.jpg

Really hope some experienced forumer can enlighten me on the above issues.

TIA

Louis

Do not be worried about its construction. That's how manufacturers make money by giving you 1/3 orginal material and the remaining 2/3 using composite !

These tiles will be laid like standard homogenous ceramic tiles. The gap width depends on the "kang-hu" of the tile layer. Usually for these sort of marble tiles, the gaps are very small..sometimes unseen because the final waxing/polishing will make it almost invisible.

Marble being a porous material will stain if strong liquids with colour are left unremoved. It will 'yellow' eventually but it won't be noticeable unless you buy virgin tiles and place it beside it in 20 years' time ! Cracks can appear if you drop something heavy and with force, otherwise it will take most everyday shocks.

Edited by asoon88

Do not be worried about its construction. That's how manufacturers make money by giving you 1/3 orginal material and the remaining 2/3 using composite !

These tiles will be laid like standard homogenous ceramic tiles. The gap width depends on the "kang-hu" of the tile layer. Usually for these sort of marble tiles, the gaps are very small..sometimes unseen because the final waxing/polishing will make it almost invisible.

Marble being a porous material will stain if strong liquids with colour are left unremoved. It will 'yellow' eventually but it won't be noticeable unless you buy virgin tiles and place it beside it in 20 years' time ! Cracks can appear if you drop something heavy and with force, otherwise it will take most everyday shocks.

Thanks for the prompt reply Asoon88!

Oh so the original material and composite are normal.. hehe..

I don't know why, but i just can't find any information about compressed marble tiles made like this.

Regarding the laying, some have mentioned that this tile has to be layed like homogenous tiles, while some say can lay like marble with a very small gap. hmm.. i wonder..

Then about the marble top layer, i know marble is a porous material. But i read that compressed marble tiles has this layering thing done over it so it can withstand stains much better than actual marble tiles. Is that true?

And also, can this tile actually be be waxed/polished? taking into consideration that the actual marble layering on it is thin.

Was scared by my colleague earlier when he mentioned all the problems of using white compressed marble tiles..

But i really love the white color.. sigh.. Mayb i shall go look around for an alternative homogenous tile.. Real marble is way too expensive :(