Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Relako

Which One Would You Choose ?

Hi

Have been hunting for a HDB resale flat.

If you have limited budget and can only afford to pay $370,000 (including COV), will you choose a Punggol 4-rm or a Sembawang 5-rm ?

Please give your views. Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

What about Sengkang 4-rm ?

I believe in average Punggol > Sengkang. So, might as well take Sengkang because the area is livelier than Punggol.

Why Punggol/Sengkang over Sembawang? Because the NEL. With NEL, you can reach town (dhobby ghaut/city hall) much faster.

I supposed it depends on which is more convenient for you to get to work, or if you have kids, for them to get to school, or etc... If I were to choose, probably Punggol cos got NEL to go to my mil's home, more convenient. Cos she looks after my kids.

I guess your choice also have to depends on how much cov you can spare. Cos even areas like amk n tpy, if you want nearer city, also have some older 4 rm below 400k where valuation is like low to mid 300k but cov is higher. Not forgetting that these days even Sembawang and Punggol are also asking for higher cov than before.

I feel that if space not a big issue for you, go for 4 rm. Got more govt rebate than 5 rm.

I supposed it depends on which is more convenient for you to get to work, or if you have kids, for them to get to school, or etc... If I were to choose, probably Punggol cos got NEL to go to my mil's home, more convenient. Cos she looks after my kids.

I guess your choice also have to depends on how much cov you can spare. Cos even areas like amk n tpy, if you want nearer city, also have some older 4 rm below 400k where valuation is like low to mid 300k but cov is higher. Not forgetting that these days even Sembawang and Punggol are also asking for higher cov than before.

I feel that if space not a big issue for you, go for 4 rm. Got more govt rebate than 5 rm.

The answer to this is to each his own. Just my little thoughts when I choose where to stay:

- Any ''good" schools for children

- to/from work, car, bus, mrt?

- mkt?hawker cct?

- leisure parks?

- senior citizen estate?

Edited by bepgof

5 room sembawang obviously..if u can see gahmen now slolwly reducing 5 room new flats..and they are hottest in recent selection..4 room will be too small in newer estates..anyway weigh your options..cheers!

Hi

If you have limited budget and can only afford to pay $370,000 (including COV), will you choose a Punggol 4-rm or a Sembawang 5-rm ?

Besides the helpful points mentioned by other forumers, I think you should also consider the PR & Ethical quotas of Sembawang and Sengkang. Are you Singaporean or PR? What's your race? Sembawang has many blocks hitting PR quota, while Sengkang has many blocks hitting Indian quota.

Personally I would go for a place that has closer proximity to our parents' places and workplaces.

If you still cannot make a decision, why not start viewing houses in both Sembawang and Punggol? See which house manages to capture your heart first!! ;)

Edited by forgotten

Hi

Saw that most of forumers have covered the dist to work, facilities, amendities etc.

Next point to consider.

A house that you plan to live in is ultimately a liability. A bigger house means larger property taxes, higher utility bills, more money spent on renovations, and more furniture to furnish the extra rooms. Also, you get less ‘ang pows’ from the gov from programs like GST offset packages.

A 4 room flat has the same number of rooms as a 5 room flat. If this is your first flat purchase, perhaps you should consider not over-stretching your budget. This would allow you to save more for retirement, or more money towards investments in another property or otherwise.

Hi Forummers,

Thank you all so much for your views on this issue.

How about the age of a flat ?

Would you rather choose an old flat (e.g. Bedok - 25 years old) for its location ?

I am currently staying in an old flat (Bedok), spalling concrete at the kitchen and toilet ceilings is very serious.

Noise transmission from the neighbours above me is quite unbearable sometimes.

Have been searching for a flat for a few months now. Seen some 4 rooms (Woodlands) with cracks running across the ceiling but covered up with patty but still obvious enuf. Freaked me out !

I have phobias for old flats.

You are very right with regards to the property taxes, utility bills, etc and freebies from the govt !

I have not considered these points. Thank you so much.

Saw that most of forumers have covered the dist to work, facilities, amendities etc.

Next point to consider.

A house that you plan to live in is ultimately a liability. A bigger house means larger property taxes, higher utility bills, more money spent on renovations, and more furniture to furnish the extra rooms. Also, you get less ‘ang pows’ from the gov from programs like GST offset packages.

A 4 room flat has the same number of rooms as a 5 room flat. If this is your first flat purchase, perhaps you should consider not over-stretching your budget. This would allow you to save more for retirement, or more money towards investments in another property or otherwise.

Hi Forummers,

Would you rather choose an old flat (e.g. Bedok - 25 years old) for its location ?

I am currently staying in an old flat (Bedok), spalling concrete at the kitchen and toilet ceilings is very serious.

Have been searching for a flat for a few months now. Seen some 4 rooms (Woodlands) with cracks running across the ceiling but covered up with patty but still obvious enuf. Freaked me out !

If you intend to do an overhaul renovation, I guess the age of the flat doesn't matter so much to you. Condition of the flat also depends on how the owners maintain it, how long ago did they renovate it etc?

The age of flat was a consideration for me when I was looking for house last year. Because I do not intend to do much renovation, and want to move in fast fast. ;)

Now I'm staying at Sembawang, while my parents are staying in Sengkang. Many flats in these two towns are around 5 years to 12 years old. Woodlands has some flats hitting just 5 years but very few are for sale.

Edited by forgotten

Hi Forummers,

new flat does not mean it is problem free.

There are news reported, flooring pop out within 5 yrs warranty by HDB.

My colleague new floor within 5 yrs, his floor pop out 3X

Another thing is, new flat is smaller than old flat

You are very right with regards to the property taxes, utility bills, etc and freebies from the govt !

I have not considered these points. Thank you so much.

sorry i beg to differ:) how much angpow u expect gahmen to gv? 4 room 2 month full scc rbate and 5 room 2 half mth rebate..isit that big of savings? freebies still based on income and not flat size unless u dun declare income tax:) frankly bet 4 n 5 room not much diff unless 3 roomers ..yes is a gap,,the rebate atleast can feel:) cheers

Hi Forummers,

Since u mention bedok. B4 looking for resale hse in June last yr. I suggested Ponggol, and my wife insisted Bedok(N or S, but no Chai Chee). I've been in Bedok since 1979. At last I gave in to her. Here were her wants & my wants on "old flat":

She: near mrt, floor area as big as present.

Me: >20 floor, hse orientation(sunlight, airflow, view), 100k for reno, hse price 500-600k, neighbour ok.etc

Now satying

- 23rd fl, 32 year-old

- near mrt

- same fl area as previous's hse, 119msq.

- reno close to 95k (incl aircon, some electrical stuff, furniture)

- hse 518k+10kcov+(3%-5,400)stamp + 1% comm with 7%gst

- 4unit per fl, 2 units own by parents + son(single), 1 PR indian family of 4 +maid.

- everyday can see water (bedok reservoir+sea), mountains, ships, aeroplanes, cars

- morning sun facing

- Windows: N, E, door=W

My conclusion: Where to find this kind of house !Very rare! So, chance comes, grasp first. Flat "old" is not an issue, as long as it "close to mrt".

Edited by bepgof

new flat does not mean it is problem free.

There are news reported, flooring pop out within 5 yrs warranty by HDB.

My colleague new floor within 5 yrs, his floor pop out 3X

Another thing is, new flat is smaller than old flat

Pop out 3 times! Hope no more such headache for him/her.

Edited by forgotten