Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
curryqueen

Common Corridor Windows: Grilles Outside, Windows Inside?

Has anyone done their common corridor windows with their window grilles outside and their windows inside and not the other way around?

I had always thought that the window grilles should protect the windows (besides protecting the flat, of course), but most common corridor flats do it the other way around; i.e. windows outside, grilles inside.

Having the grilles outside also gives me more window options besides sliding and louvered.

Is there are reason for why people do it the other way around?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

uh sliding windows can be easily removed, u just tilt it a bit, u can take it out.

so if you put windows outside on a corridor, it will almost certainly go missing.

uh sliding windows can be easily removed, u just tilt it a bit, u can take it out.

so if you put windows outside on a corridor, it will almost certainly go missing.

?!!?!

everyone's windows oso outside lehhhhh.... ur grills outside meh???

U didn't know anything about how the sliding windows are being installed. If any windows makers were to install the corridor sliding windows in this way that by tilting a bit and the windows can take it out so easily after installation, they will be out of buisness asap. A bracket was riveted to prevent anyone from able to tilt the windows. :yamseng:

Has anyone done their common corridor windows with their window grilles outside and their windows inside and not the other way around?

I had always thought that the window grilles should protect the windows (besides protecting the flat, of course), but most common corridor flats do it the other way around; i.e. windows outside, grilles inside.

Having the grilles outside also gives me more window options besides sliding and louvered.

Is there are reason for why people do it the other way around?

I don't think anyone had done that in the HDB. From my understanding, HDB don't seen to allow that. The reason why HDB don't allow should be due to safety purposes.

I don't think anyone had done that in the HDB. From my understanding, HDB don't seen to allow that. The reason why HDB don't allow should be due to safety purposes.

Thanks, all! I was thinking of doing bifold windows at the common corridor so that more "wind" can enter the rooms.

But if the grilles are to be placed inside of the window and not outside, I won't be able to do it, coz there won't be space to open the bifold without hitting the grilles.

For those of you who have sliding and louvered windows in your flat, can I know which type of windows along for more "hong"?

Sliding will block 1 part of the window when opened, but will louvered allow for better wind movement when it is fully opened? :dunno:

Am very tempted to go back to my original plan of sealing up the common corridor windows.. no need to worry abt what type of windows, what type of grilles, insect screen...<sigh>

I do agree with you.

Depending on the types of profile use for the sliding window/grille, it is not difficult to remove it.

Alumn is soft alloy. The construction of the window frame is mainly rivetd, the 4 angle jointing are scew together with a pc of plastic inserted into the tubing.

The panels sitting on the roller has a pc of 'stopper' and the side it is sometime riveted with a thin pc of plastic to secure it.

If the grille is outside the window at the commonc acess, the mounting is also on the outside of the wall.

The fastener like wallplug can be remove without diffculty.

Through my past experiencs in application of permit thru HDB E-services, I have not seen any choice of selection on installation of window grille outside the window.

Edited by gladyslim

thanks gladysim for the clarification, i guess i wasn't very clear in expressing my view....

i meant to say if grille was on the outside, it can be easily removed, by screws or wat. then removing the windows is a breeze, just tilt it.

conversely, its harder for someone to stretch his arm in to unscrew the window grilles. He could off course pick the window grille lock though.

Or attempt to come in through the windows in kitchen like spiderman.

check out this website: http://www.decorille.com/pro_other.htm

it has sliding windows which can be pushed all the way to the side, then pushed open like a casement window.... so when you are looking at the window at a 90-degree angle, u just see the view outside, u dont see the windows at all....

I wish I could use those windows.. :( But because mind is a common corridor unit, I can't push the windows open to casement.

I'm rather interested in their insect screens though. Wonder if they can do the same thing for windows.

Hi

Can it be seperate to 2 sections ?? Top sliding window bottom fixed or louver window ??

I wonder HDB do allow this spect on corridor passaway anot.....

Cheer :)

Hi

Can it be seperate to 2 sections ?? Top sliding window bottom fixed or louver window ??

I wonder HDB do allow this spect on corridor passaway anot.....

Cheer :)

can. i've seen houses with these windows

Thanks, all! I was thinking of doing bifold windows at the common corridor so that more "wind" can enter the rooms.

But if the grilles are to be placed inside of the window and not outside, I won't be able to do it, coz there won't be space to open the bifold without hitting the grilles.

For those of you who have sliding and louvered windows in your flat, can I know which type of windows along for more "hong"?

Sliding will block 1 part of the window when opened, but will louvered allow for better wind movement when it is fully opened? :dunno:

Am very tempted to go back to my original plan of sealing up the common corridor windows.. no need to worry abt what type of windows, what type of grilles, insect screen...<sigh>

Hi curryqueen,

i have normal grilles and sliding windows along my common corridor windows. I can open 2 of the 4 panels of windows fully for wind to come in. To solve the privacy issue, i have a roman curtain that covers from waist up to just above my head level. If needed, it can cover all the way up to the ceiling.