Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
stryke

Almost Minimalist 4a In Toa Payoh

After waiting, planning, reading, sourcing and anticipating for 9 months, our resale flat renovation has finally started.

It has been a long 9 months, from exercising OTP in July 2009 to completion in Dec 2009, to planning and meeting up IDs...

It's finally started!

I'd been so choleric about the whole process that now that things have started, I've feeling a little numb, not as excited as how so many of you sounded.

Nonetheless, I've decided to share my experience here and keep a record of the whole process for the benefit of all.

Firsts things first, the floor plan:

FloorPlan-.jpg

When we viewed this flat for sale 1 week before our wedding day, both wife and I were quite pleased with what we saw, and the fact that the owner was asking for below valuation, we discussed for only a little bit and decided to grab this God-given blessing immediately without thinking too much about the details.

So we put down the $1k for option to purchase and exercised OTP the day after our wedding, before our honeymoon.

So here's the skinny on flat details:

Area: 103 sqm

Valuation: 430,000

Purchase price: 408,000

Gahmen grant: 45,000

Time to pick up the wife from work.

Tune in later for more.

Shalom

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Guest bendemos

Will be following your blog....interesting...btw, ur grant is $45K? How do you arrive at this number?

So here's the skinny on flat details:

Area: 103 sqm

Valuation: 430,000

Purchase price: 408,000

Gahmen grant: 45,000

Time to pick up the wife from work.

Tune in later for more.

Shalom

Hi, maybe we might be neighbours. :-) I also bought a flat in this area and it's also 11 years old. Hope see to your reno works soon.

Cheers.

After waiting, planning, reading, sourcing and anticipating for 9 months, our resale flat renovation has finally started.

It has been a long 9 months, from exercising OTP in July 2009 to completion in Dec 2009, to planning and meeting up IDs...

It's finally started!

Shalom

hehe, we got abt the same timeline, OTP in Jul'09, completion in Dec'09. then i drag until now then start reno.

Edited by pinktini

Will be following your blog....interesting...btw, ur grant is $45K? How do you arrive at this number?

30K for 1st timer

additional 10K for near parent

5k for housewhole income less then 5k but above 4.5k

All sum up to be 45k :) correct me if i am wrong

Btw stryke , welcome to RT-blog :)

wah your flat at TPY is sure ex leh. at only 2nd floor, the Purchase price is $408,000.00. then what happens if u opt to buy a high floor located at 25th floor? but location wise, its very good. yeah, how come there's 45k grant?

30K for 1st timer

additional 10K for near parent

5k for housewhole income less then 5k but above 4.5k

All sum up to be 45k :) correct me if i am wrong

Btw stryke , welcome to RT-blog :)

supersimon is right. That's how we got the 45k grant from gahmen. Our block is jusy a spit away from my mum's.

i know that 408k is still a lot to pay for a flat, but compared to the new ones that the HDB is churning out in central area, this resale is much more worth it than the pigeon holes that cost almost the same. My fren bought a unit in Pinnacle during the second phase and paid 500k for a 85 sqm flat!

also considering that my office is 10 mins drive from home... or $6 cab ride.... i can even give up my car for the long run and save 1k a month from car ownership. I also recently discovered that the new Bartley Road viaduct takes me from Toa Payoh to Tampines in less than 10 minutes! excellent! not that I go to Tampines a lot lah...

anyways....

I started looking at ideas and planning and speaking to IDs, researching way before completion of sale. We finally decided to engage Steven Tay from Ideal House ID. He comes recommended by many forummers and I must admit although he's not our first choice in terms of design, his price is definitely the best. In addition we like his attitude and pro-activeness and fast response time. Truth is, I've done so much research looking for ideas and planning the whole layout and design of the flat even before we met Steven, that when I first met up with him, I more or less told him what I want, and showed him a lot of references. At the end of the day, although I did not give him much chance in the essential design, he still came up with a lot of very practical and useful suggestions and was quite helpful in advising me to save costs (I tend to go overboard). I was very very shocked when he quoted me as his quote was almost 10k less than all the rest, and with more items included! In fact I recommended Steven to one of my close friends who is also gonna renovate his new flat, even before I signed on the dotted line!

He was very patient throughout the whole process of discussing and quotation stage, and answering my questions. Believe me, I am a very demanding and meticulous person. Every little detail in the quote was scrutinised by me and every other minute I will be emailing him or texting him to double check. I will reveal a breakdown of the reno costs in future entries when I have more time.

For now I'll just attach the final layout plan, which was more or less a combination of proposals from several IDs, friends and a lot of time in front of the computer playing with the layout.

Plan was drawn by me in Adobe Illustrator. We went through many rounds of amendments for the layout and quote before signing on the dotted line.

FloorPlan-01.jpg

Later I will upload images of the flat.

Shalom

Edited by stryke

hihi, almost minimalist? going for minimalist style? Looking forward to your plans.. :)

Yah, almost minimalist cos we got no budget to do much...hahah.

Seriously, I want a minimalist lofty look with an island kitchen but alas there's too little space and too many restrictions from HDB to do much, so we decided to keep it simple.

As you all can see, this place needs a lot of work. As we are planning to stay here for the long term (die also won't leave Toa Payoh!), we decided to do a complete overhaul including the re-wiring and plastering, and I really wanted a proper functional kitchen as I'm an avid foodie and like to cook, well, plan to do more in the future anyway.

Reno has already started but its only the first week so I will post the progress images in time to come.

Shalom