Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
stryke

Almost Minimalist 4a In Toa Payoh

Yesterday was Ceiling works and windows installation.

At the end of the day when I visited the place to check, most ceiling works are done. TOday will be the boxing up works.

However, I find the windows installation workmanship very unsatisfactory. They patched up the walls around the window frames very sloppily, leaving rough lines, destroying the work of the plastering workers. some of the windows are not even aligned properly to the wall. Some of the locks are faulty (cannot lock), also the locks are fixed such that the moment I turn the knob, the white powder coat got scraped off? WTF. UNACCEPTABLE.

Am meeting ID on site later to show him and will take pictures.

RenoProgress-1020005.jpg

RenoProgress-1020012.jpg

RenoProgress-1020008.jpg

RenoProgress-1020011.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I find that the piping, especially at the main pipes at service balcony, very poorly ran. some parts do not even sit on the brackets properly. Although those area are gonna be boxed up, it still irks me to know underneath its so messy and unsightly.

That was what happens to mine also.

They don't event bother to paint the wall :(

I explained to them that this small things will determine how good and profesional they are.

Then they just say, yes yes yesssss

sighhhhhhhhhhhhh :(

That was what happens to mine also.

They don't event bother to paint the wall :(

I explained to them that this small things will determine how good and profesional they are.

Then they just say, yes yes yesssss

sighhhhhhhhhhhhh :(

spoke to ID liao. told him that the finishing is not acceptable. he says plastering guys will come touchup and after that painters will also do some.

We'll see.

I go everyday to check already got this kinda problems. imagine I don't go check....

oh no, u mean they left it like this? should have at least made it white ba. This is very unacceptable.

but as long as u got ID, should not be a problem. :)

no lah, they installed all the panels. just that the edges of the frame they patched up very sloppily. imagine the edge where the window frames sit on the window sill. all the corners are rounded and very badly patched. before that the plastering workers made the corners so straightly angled.

ANGRY.

And I must say I realised HDB architects from 10 years back are very COCK. They design the flats with slanted walls, pipes all over the place, beams and columns not of same widths and alignments. We have to box up many areas to flush the walls and hide the unsightly pipes. now the flat look even smaller!

Edited by stryke

Hi,

long time no update cos there's NOTHING to update except that painting has started. rest of the tiling for the bathrooms (boxups) not yet done, living room partial skirting no yet done too.

tomorrow electrician will come to install sockets and lights, finally.

many of the works so far has either been delayed, or messed up in sequence. For example, the plastering should be done before plumbing and electrical wiring, so that the plastering can cover all the areas. now some areas are not properly plastered due to obstruction by the wires/trunking or water pipes.

Also, I realised that the plastering workers did not do a good job at all. many of the surfaces are still bumpy, and a lot of rough patches as well. They are very obvious when i go inspect the flat at night after work, and i use a torchlight to shine on the walls/ceiling... THE HORROR! I am being charged almost 2k for the plastering work and i get this kind of quality? i can't post pictures here cos its too dark to take any at night, and if i use flash it will wash out all the imperfections.

Now, I already discovered that before they started painting, but ID said painters will touch up where ever is necessary to smoothen the surfaces. I saw the ceiling today, after it is painted. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

tomorrow meeting ID to discuss and come up with a proper solution.

What i am afraid of is that the plastering workers have to come back again to redo the whole place, then wait for plaster to dry, then paint again, which will definitely delay my handover. whole thing was originally scheduled to complete in 8 weeks, and already i find that too long. now drag some more? I have tenants moving into my mum's flat come June, and the more i delay, the more we are losing on rental income.

HOW??

Hi,

long time no update cos there's NOTHING to update except that painting has started. rest of the tiling for the bathrooms (boxups) not yet done, living room partial skirting no yet done too.

tomorrow electrician will come to install sockets and lights, finally.

many of the works so far has either been delayed, or messed up in sequence. For example, the plastering should be done before plumbing and electrical wiring, so that the plastering can cover all the areas. now some areas are not properly plastered due to obstruction by the wires/trunking or water pipes.

Also, I realised that the plastering workers did not do a good job at all. many of the surfaces are still bumpy, and a lot of rough patches as well. They are very obvious when i go inspect the flat at night after work, and i use a torchlight to shine on the walls/ceiling... THE HORROR! I am being charged almost 2k for the plastering work and i get this kind of quality? i can't post pictures here cos its too dark to take any at night, and if i use flash it will wash out all the imperfections.

Now, I already discovered that before they started painting, but ID said painters will touch up where ever is necessary to smoothen the surfaces. I saw the ceiling today, after it is painted. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

tomorrow meeting ID to discuss and come up with a proper solution.

What i am afraid of is that the plastering workers have to come back again to redo the whole place, then wait for plaster to dry, then paint again, which will definitely delay my handover. whole thing was originally scheduled to complete in 8 weeks, and already i find that too long. now drag some more? I have tenants moving into my mum's flat come June, and the more i delay, the more we are losing on rental income.

HOW??

Relax la. It will all come into place.

Btw, looking forward to the good HOUSEWARMING PARTY!! mad drunk party...

Handover dates are symbolic only as many would realise. :P

nevertheless, must always insist on reasonable workmanship. it is impossible for them to tear down the whole plaster to redo...they will at most recitfy 1 out of the 10 the portions you mentioned. Then wait for you to make noise and rectify another part. Slowly, your level of expectation will drop, many play such games.. they can wait, we can't.

Finally got pics to show!

Updates:

The plastering touch-ups are completed and this time I am fairly satisfied.

See the pics, so much they had to touch up!

Renovation2010-1020615.jpg

Renovation2010-1020601.jpg

Renovation2010-1020610.jpg

Renovation2010-1020606.jpg

Renovation2010-1020604.jpg

I just find it a waste that the painters already put on the first few coats of paint. Today they will be finishing up on the painting!

Also some of the lights are up!

Pics in next post!

We have light!

Mr Tan at work

Renovation2010-0069.jpg

I find Mr Tan a very nice chap, very unassuming, professional. So far amongst the sub-cons, they impressed me the most. Fast and good at what they do. Clean up after themselves and laid the trunking very nicely. I had a chat with him and he's actually done work for some big corporate figures and garmen clients.

LeGrand Mallia Switches/Sockets

Renovation2010-0071.jpg

RenoProgress-1020600.jpg

RenoProgress-1020598.jpg

RenoProgress-1020589.jpg

I was at the flat today after work. Saw the painter almost finishing with the study. Started looking around and noticed there's still quite a lot of flaws on the walls. Took a torch and started looking for them. Painter had to follow me around and start to plaster the flaws. I must say he was very accommodating. Thanks to him I can sleep better tonight.

When I arrived, I notice the 2 panel for the MB top hung were laying flat on the floor (windows were not installed properly and had to be realigned to the walls), the powder coating scratched. The cleaners were there today to clear out the debris and stuff, and did not put the panels on any protection. I made it known to Steven and he dropped by and ask the windows installers to take them back. Will replace or touch up I don't know, as long as they come back looking new I'm happy.

Anyways. Steven saw me checking the walls and I must admit, I was being very detailed. I reckon that since the painting is not fully complete, might as well look for all the flaws and fix them before putting on the final coat, that way there will not be too much rectification/touching up to do after we move in. We are really on a tight schedule.

Well, so far I am very satisfied with the electrician's work, the tilers' (except for the speed), the painters'. I must however admit that I am not very happy with the plastering workers' workmanship.They came back to touch up on the plastering yet I can still find so MUCH flaws. Like I mentioned before because of my work I am a very meticulous person. In my line of work even a speck of dust I have to clean off before shooting the actual shot.

I must give it to Steven for being so patient with me thus far. His attitude and service response time is no horse run. Must buy him beer once the works are completed.

Monday 2nd installation for air conditioners, delivery for all the appliances and fixtures. YAY. will have more pics to show then.

Edited by stryke

nevertheless, must always insist on reasonable workmanship. it is impossible for them to tear down the whole plaster to redo...they will at most recitfy 1 out of the 10 the portions you mentioned. Then wait for you to make noise and rectify another part. Slowly, your level of expectation will drop, many play such games.. they can wait, we can't.

Hi,

If they don't want to do then I will do it myself. It only takes a little effort to touch up the walls, as the painter had done today. I wanted to buy him makan and kopi as a token of my appreciation but he just wanted to go back JB...haha maybe next time.

Anyways as i mention i can sleep tonight. However I am sure I missed some parts but overall I find it ACCEPTABLE now.

I just feel bad for the painters cos he just finished a new coat on the walls but when I went to the place after work today, found many more flaws that are unacceptable. Painter had to do double work cos of the sloppy plastering.

Edited by stryke

I think you shouldn't think that way. If they don't do a gd job, don't pay them. Unless weneed to move out asap, I don't see why we can't wait.

Hi,

If they don't want to do then I will do it myself. It only takes a little effort to touch up the walls, as the painter had done today. I wanted to buy him makan and kopi as a token of my appreciation but he just wanted to go back JB...haha maybe next time.

Anyways as i mention i can sleep tonight. However I am sure I missed some parts but overall I find it ACCEPTABLE now.

I just feel bad for the painters cos he just finished a new coat on the walls but when I went to the place after work today, found many more flaws that are unacceptable. Painter had to do double work cos of the sloppy plastering.

after going thru ur thread... for once i felt normal haha... i kept asking husband if i am 鸡蛋里挑骨头"searching for bones in eggs".

I will also do detail checks like you in all stages. But come on its our house, its better they fix early ! More importantly once they know u really look into depth... the latter work they will be more careful !

all these effort will be worth it!

Hence ID, or contractor, it is still our house... better work hard in the monitoring to avoid later disappointment or rectification at handover date .

I think you shouldn't think that way. If they don't do a gd job, don't pay them. Unless weneed to move out asap, I don't see why we can't wait.

how good is good? to them, they will always test water, (see baby_81984's tblog earlier on painting woes). How much time and effort do you want to waste on them before things get done?

We have our lives and career, we cannot be doing reno for the next 3 mths rectifying and conducting site visits....they can continue giving you poor work till you cannot take it anymore and decide to just accept it...

how good is good? to them, they will always test water, (see baby_81984's tblog earlier on painting woes). How much time and effort do you want to waste on them before things get done?

We have our lives and career, we cannot be doing reno for the next 3 mths rectifying and conducting site visits....they can continue giving you poor work till you cannot take it anymore and decide to just accept it...

i just went up to day to check the chemical washing. All seems to be fine. And at the same time i took a rool of masking tape to mark ALL the remaining plastering that need to be touched up before the painters proceed. would you believe a finished a WHOLE ROLL of tape??

better fix them first then paint to avoid any delays or major rectification. tomorrow air con second installation. i will be on leave the whoe day and will MAKE SURE the plastering touch up is completely done to my satisfaction before putting on the final coats of paint.

Edited by stryke