Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
stryke

Almost Minimalist 4a In Toa Payoh

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I would say that u are a detailed person and really checked. Next time can engage u to check for my reno. :) I like ur cove lightings

I was joking with Steven, if he has too many projects on hand and cannot supervise closely everything on his own can hire me as foreman. Then again after 1 or 2 projects no sub-cons want to work for him anymore. Haha.

I like the cove lighting and ceiling design by Steven too.

1 mistake I made, is that I thought the cove lights are more of mood ambience light and the PLC down lights are more functional lights, which means during normal days when we chill out at the living room I'll just on the cove lights for that cosy mood. Then I realised that the cove lights are actually very bright! and each 4 foot T5 is 28 watts! Imagine I on my cove lights for normal usage... I have 6 tubes in the living room ceiling and 8 tubes in the dining area ceiling. FWAH the power consumption will be al lot!. So I went back to lightings.com.sg and sought advice of Damien, the nice chap who served us the first time round. We decided to get a 3-bank LED holder to install in the middle of the living room false ceiling. That we shall use more often than the rest bah? it creates a very mood ambience for the living while we chill out, only 3 watts per light. Then the PLCs, now its 2x18 watt per light box, I might modify them to be 1x 18 instead.

Once all lights are up then I'll see if I want to do the modification, and if I want to switch the color temperature between the PLCs and the T5s.

Right now the cove lights are much warmer than the PLC's.

I think the right way is for the PLC's to be mood ambience lighting, and the cove lights for use when you need that extra lighting for major tasks, or when you have a lot of company visiting.

Too bad I changed the Philips T5 tubes to the OEM ones that came with the T5 holders...they are much warmer than the Philips T5s, and all the PLCs' boxes have been thrashed....

NVM, we'll see how.

My id was suggesting having cove light in the study room. Actually thats my husband's home office, he didnt want those normal ceiling light so id suggested cove light but we are worried that it might not be bright enough. So u think its bright enough to do work?

i just went up to day to check the chemical washing. All seems to be fine. And at the same time i took a rool of masking tape to mark ALL the remaining plastering that need to be touched up before the painters proceed. would you believe a finished a WHOLE ROLL of tape??

haha... we did that initially with our place too cos hubby is quite particular as well.. except we didnt use up the whole roll !!

but now abt 6mths of living in, new cracks are forming, hubby said cos of earth movements, stuff like this will definitely happened? anyways, got our ID to get the plaster guy to plaster some spots again now waiting to paint over.

also advise from nippon paint customer svc, if u dun mind a sheen finishing on walls, then can use their medifresh 3-in-1 cos it has some elasticity so when theres earth movements, paint moves with it so wont hv cracks so easily.. but we like matt finish so wont use tt... :rolleyes:

but ur place looking good so far...

My id was suggesting having cove light in the study room. Actually thats my husband's home office, he didnt want those normal ceiling light so id suggested cove light but we are worried that it might not be bright enough. So u think its bright enough to do work?

I was at my fren's housewarming the other day, they have a ceiling box light in the study, and also a row of fluorescent hidden under the top hung cabinets, which are above the desktop, to me enough for work. However if you mean just using cove light on the ceiling, the i think its not enough. You will still need table lamps for task lighting.

Personally I like my working areas like kitchen, study to be bright and other areas to be more mood.

haha... we did that initially with our place too cos hubby is quite particular as well.. except we didnt use up the whole roll !!

but now abt 6mths of living in, new cracks are forming, hubby said cos of earth movements, stuff like this will definitely happened? anyways, got our ID to get the plaster guy to plaster some spots again now waiting to paint over.

also advise from nippon paint customer svc, if u dun mind a sheen finishing on walls, then can use their medifresh 3-in-1 cos it has some elasticity so when theres earth movements, paint moves with it so wont hv cracks so easily.. but we like matt finish so wont use tt... :rolleyes:

but ur place looking good so far...

Thanks for sharing the info.

I do not that due to building structural movements there will be cracks in the future. That cannot be prevented. Will just have to patch them up when the time comes.

As for paint, we chose ICI cos Nippon's color palette is quite limited, and also according to Steven, Nippon paint is mixed on the spot at the shops upon order and may not have the same consistency as ICI which is mixed at the factory. Imagine you need to get some paint to touch up the walls and they turn out to be different?

Likewise i used post-it notes for convenience... :)

but u must make sure you remember where the defects are...can take picture as a reference. If not when you paste too many, you might forget where the mistake was...haha

yeahs i think no sub-con will hire you... :P their workers will all quit!

Well, yesterday the carpenters uploaded all the cabinet carcasses to the flat.

Today they started to install.

There are some dimensions for the cabinets that are not right, and have to be remade.

When I visited the flat after work, the guys are still working. First time I see any of the sub-cons work past 6pm!

WOW!

I was quite delighted to see the kitchen tall units carcass up, and my mum's room's and also the MBR WIW.

BUT I soon realised that the MBR WIW dimensions are wrong, so quickly notified the carpenters and ID. They will be rectified. Also for my mum's room wardrobe, due to the stoopid slanted wall (see my floor plan), they realised that the door nearest to the wall cannot be fully opened to allow the drawer to extend fully. So that has to be shifted a little. No bigggie I think.

My wife and I felt sympathetic for the carpenters as they spent the whole day installing the carcasses and almost 2 third of their work has gone to waste.

Some of the blocks have to be re-done so I hope that we will still be on schedule.

ANd I must emphasis again. HDB architects, engineers, builders ALL COCK! the wall that is next to my mum's wardrobe, is not only horizontally slanted, but vertically AS WELL! No matter how well the carpenters' workmanship is, I tell you, there will be a visible difference of the pelmut's width from top to bottom. It will be farking ugly!

Pictures tomorrow!

More progress pictures...

MBR Bathroom

P1020646.jpg

Kitchen Cabinets

P1020642.jpg

P1020637.jpg

Mum's Wardrobe

P1020635.jpg

P1020641.jpg

Its all starting to take shape. I hope everything will be completed in time for handover on the 25/26th May. Seems like we still have a lot to do....

Edited by stryke

Hi, your post at the Fujioh hood thread led me to your blog. Congrats on your new home!

Looks like you haven't updated this blog for a couple of weeks now, must have been busy wrapping up the last bit of reno. Hope your move went smoothly.

Anyway, I finally found someone who bought the hood that is in my shortlist - NL900R. Would appreciate if you could post some feedback after using it. If convenient, could you also pm me the price you got it for?

Thank you.

Hi, your post at the Fujioh hood thread led me to your blog. Congrats on your new home!

Looks like you haven't updated this blog for a couple of weeks now, must have been busy wrapping up the last bit of reno. Hope your move went smoothly.

Anyway, I finally found someone who bought the hood that is in my shortlist - NL900R. Would appreciate if you could post some feedback after using it. If convenient, could you also pm me the price you got it for?

Thank you.

Yeah, I've been very busy supervising the last leg of the renovation works and moving in.

Well, most of the works are done except for the wallpaper (just arrived in SIngapore today) and also the kitchen hob backsplash.

As we need to wait for the glass to be up before installing the hood, I have not been able to test the unit. Will only be able to do so after Saturday.

I got it for 900 at Aik Leong which is located at Alexandra Village (one of the whole row of electrical shops).

I did find a cheaper quote by Everjoint (888) but since I was getting the RInnai hob from AIk Leong, might as well order everything from them. No need for me to travel all the way to Everjoint just to place order.

You can look for Mrs Koh from Aik Leong if you are interested.

Both Asia Excel and Kong Tai quoted me $950, you certainly got a better deal! Thanks for the info, if I decide to buy will definitely approach Aik Leong and Everjoint.

Looking forward to your review of the Fujioh hood, after you settle in of course. :)

hi hi, congrats on yr newly renovated unit ya! must be exciting time, really!

I am working on a a minimalist theme too, thus yr t-blog appeals to me... then reading on, i realise we have so many things in common!

1. Initial renovation budget: 30,000 but in the end, the realistic renovation budget: $45k

2. A Brandt oven

3. Hob & hood: Fujioh NL900R, Rinnai RB-3CG

4. A Simmons bed

5. issit Alan from Mega @ KLP?

hahaha

Progress Pictures!

Kronotex laminates for bedrooms

P1020623.jpg

hi there, i really like your flooring. Wide planks with grooves, stands out from the other run of the mill laminates. Kronotex is one of the brands we shortlisted too. Looks really good :good: