Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
machineoperator

Should I Still Get Non-inverter Aircond?

To all the experts out there,

I am about to replace the whole condo air cond units but am contemplating between getting the inverter or the non inverter units. I have been reading about the pro and cons about different types of aircond units but still undecided. At first the decision seems simple, just go for the newest tech after all the R22 refrigerant is gonna be faced out soon. But the thing is if I go for the inverter I have to change all my existing piping of the condo n to make things worst they are all concealed. My ID as well as the air cond guys have been asking me to opt for Non Inverter units since they are cheaper n trouble free installation for my case.

The dilemma is I was thinking if I am gonna be going for new ac, might as well go for something future proof am I right? But I also dun feel like messing with the existing piping if possible. Sigh....... really can't decide. Can anyone sheds some light? :(

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Non-inverter air conditioners will not be phased out before 2016, so no worries about obsolescence. R22 refrigerant will continue to be used until 2040.

But using R410A(inverter) is greener & save the environment, so let's do our part for the environment.

I am about to replace the whole condo air cond units but am contemplating between getting the inverter or the non inverter units. I have been reading about the pro and cons about different types of aircond units but still undecided. At first the decision seems simple, just go for the newest tech after all the R22 refrigerant is gonna be faced out soon. But the thing is if I go for the inverter I have to change all my existing piping of the condo n to make things worst they are all concealed. My ID as well as the air cond guys have been asking me to opt for Non Inverter units since they are cheaper n trouble free installation for my case.

The dilemma is I was thinking if I am gonna be going for new ac, might as well go for something future proof am I right? But I also dun feel like messing with the existing piping if possible. Sigh....... really can't decide. Can anyone sheds some light? :(

Here is a website that is quite useful:

http://els.nea.gov.sg/mels/aircon.asp

You can go to this website to select the aircon you have in mind (inverter or non-inverter) and key in your normal usage pattern to work out the annual electrical cost.

It is quite surprising to see the difference in cost.

For me, if the overall cost of inverter unit (with installation + 10 yrs usage cost) is not significantly more than that of a non-inverter unit, I would seriously think about a inverter unit.

Cheers

The way I see it, you'll have to decide on the pros and cons between the two choices once you've worked out the main deciding factor(s). From what I could tell above, you're considering on a few things but with one in particular aka how much it's gonna cost ya. You'll have 3 costs comparisons to work out on.

1. Price difference between a non-inverter and inverter models (depends on the brand you're interested in)

- deciding on the price difference and whether it's justifiable is a one-time thing. You'll have to be able to accept this should you decide that which provides the most benefit for your household i.e. usage pattern, electricity costs, maintenance.

2. Installation costs (one-time) for an inverter model which would probably include hacking, installation, new pipings and painting/plastering

- again this is also a one-time thing, but I guess you already know it's gonna cost ya. You could probably get a few quotes to compare and haggle it off with your current ID.

3. Maintenance costs on the long run between the two.

- The refrigerant issue should be of minimal impact to you at least for the next 5 years or so. But things change. You might wanna consider if it's gonna be tough getting the refrigerant replaced should it deplete in the near future. Additionally, I'm guessing the costs of R410 is gonna go down in the long run as more and more inverter models are sold locally.

Just my two cents :) Worth a thought.

How old is the old aircon pipe?

If ur reno is going to be substantial.. and suddenly the old aircon pipe leaks.. imagine the effort required to repipe then!

The way I see it, you'll have to decide on the pros and cons between the two choices once you've worked out the main deciding factor(s). From what I could tell above, you're considering on a few things but with one in particular aka how much it's gonna cost ya. You'll have 3 costs comparisons to work out on.

1. Price difference between a non-inverter and inverter models (depends on the brand you're interested in)

- deciding on the price difference and whether it's justifiable is a one-time thing. You'll have to be able to accept this should you decide that which provides the most benefit for your household i.e. usage pattern, electricity costs, maintenance.

2. Installation costs (one-time) for an inverter model which would probably include hacking, installation, new pipings and painting/plastering

- again this is also a one-time thing, but I guess you already know it's gonna cost ya. You could probably get a few quotes to compare and haggle it off with your current ID.

3. Maintenance costs on the long run between the two.

- The refrigerant issue should be of minimal impact to you at least for the next 5 years or so. But things change. You might wanna consider if it's gonna be tough getting the refrigerant replaced should it deplete in the near future. Additionally, I'm guessing the costs of R410 is gonna go down in the long run as more and more inverter models are sold locally.

Just my two cents :) Worth a thought.

All points taken. Thanks

GC is proposing to me to run the Misubishi Starmex Non inverter running on 410 gas running on my existing aircond piping which was designed for R22. Apparently only Mitsubishi in the market that can run 410 gas on existing R22 piping. Only reason why I wanted this 410 gas on R22 piping is I dun wanna do a major repiping since all of them are concealed in my condo. The dilemma is am i making the right choice for going for this non inverter with R410 gas. Anyone use this non inverter with r410 gas ? ANy problem with condensation issue? Coz was told from GS if running even the Mitsubishi inverter with the existing R22 piping will have problem with condensation in the long run. Pls advise

I'd rather to do major repiping. This is to ensure the pipings/insulation are in good condition.

No point that now you go for so many hoops to retain the piping, yet in 3-5 years down the road, you having piping/leakage issue. And you have to open up the piping again.

if i can do it all over again for my own home, i wil bite the bullet n go for the inverter.

my parents changed from fujitsu to the inverter mitsu starmex sys 3....whoa its so much quieter and uilities cut $100 every month...used to be 280 - 290 per mth, down to below 200.

and poor me took over the fujitsu as im low user..

You meant invertor and non-invertor compressor are using different piping? How to tell what is my existing air-con piping?

GC is proposing to me to run the Misubishi Starmex Non inverter running on 410 gas running on my existing aircond piping which was designed for R22. Apparently only Mitsubishi in the market that can run 410 gas on existing R22 piping. Only reason why I wanted this 410 gas on R22 piping is I dun wanna do a major repiping since all of them are concealed in my condo. The dilemma is am i making the right choice for going for this non inverter with R410 gas. Anyone use this non inverter with r410 gas ? ANy problem with condensation issue? Coz was told from GS if running even the Mitsubishi inverter with the existing R22 piping will have problem with condensation in the long run. Pls advise

btw has anyone use the mitsubishi starmex inverter with the existing R22 aircond piping? Called up Mitsubishi and they rest assured me there won't be any problem since they some some kinda special chemical in their R410 gas therefore no need to change pipe. But Gain City guy told me I will still suffer from condensation problem if I dun change to bigger copper piping design for inverter since its pressure is a lot higher. Anyone has any experience with it?