Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vhardono

Question On Glass Backsplash For Kitchen

I'm planning to put backsplash for my kitchen.

Do u know how they mount the electric outlet/switch to the backsplash?

Is it using screw or glue or sillicone?

My ID said that it will be difficult n propose to use laminate at the top part of backsplash to attach the electric switch

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I'm planning to put backsplash for my kitchen.

Do u know how they mount the electric outlet/switch to the backsplash?

Is it using screw or glue or sillicone?

My ID said that it will be difficult n propose to use laminate at the top part of backsplash to attach the electric switch

Sounds like BS to avoid glass backsplash.

In my case, the electrical outlet/switches are already up. The solid surface is also up. Then the glass contractor will come and measure the area which exclude the electrical outlet. Once, the glass is ready, they would mount it up and around the edges of electrical outlet, they use silicone to seal it up.

So, it's OUTLET then GLASS, not the other way round like what your ID propose.

There are 2 ways of doing it. 1 is what ngunadi said, the other one is the glass backsplash is install with the cutting of holes for the electrical socket then follow by installing the socket with screws.

kitchen5.jpg

p1000655640x480.jpg

Edited by jaskel

What my ID propose is to put full glass backsplash n give allowance on the top part near to wall cabinet about 10cm to put laminate as the support for electric outlet

he said that it will be difficult in the future if I want to replace the socket if I attached directly to the glass,and after prolonged time pluging in and out electical appliances,the socket n the glass gill get damaged

is that true?

I don't want to put laminate on top of glass backsplash as it will look akward

Jaskel: I like The placement of your outlet at ur backsplash. So it means the glass got hole for cable out and another small hole to attach the screw is it?

Do u mind to share your contractor contact no. that doing ur backsplash?

Thanks

my ID suggests install glass back splash first as 1 whole piece, then install the electrical mounting boxes, but they will have a triangular profile and the boxes will be screwed to the underside of my top hung cabinets. When asked why he said that I am using tempered glass, any drilling/extra force will cause the glass to shatter.

My reno still ongoing so I hav not seen the results yet but one of my friends who is an interior designer did mentioned to me before about this method of mounting. Nicer as we'll not see too much of the mounting box.

I've somewhat noticed that using SS/Aluminium sheets may create an uneven warping effect as compared with glass backsplash.

Something to ponder...

It's easier to clean a stainless steel backsplash as opposed to just normal tiles.

Glass backsplash is even easier to clean.

why is glass easier to clean compared to stainless steel? I mean it's oil splashes afterall? :unsure:

why is glass easier to clean compared to stainless steel? I mean it's oil splashes afterall? :unsure:

Erm ... I also don't know how to explain ...

That was the feedback from most of the people using glass.

The logical explanation maybe because glass surface is smoother than stainless steel surface?