Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hippobb

Hippobb's House Reno

Hi hippobb, your house is really gorgeous! Love your mosaic walkways and toilets! Your photos look like they were taken out of a home decor magazine :)

Did you do the designing yourself or employed an ID to do it?

Would it be possible to PM me the contact of your contractor/ID? Thank you!

Hi Nandemoii

Thanks for the compliments!! :D

We did not do much designing cos initially we thought that a simple theme will be good for us and we set our budget at something arnd 45K-ish ... actually most of the ID firms that we approach did not recommend to us much design as they all claim to be working in my budget range... only my Contractor and the ID The Interior Place suggested something different based mostly on my floor area ...

and Yes, my Contractor suggested and designed much of the stuff and layout that u've seen in my pics -

1) the placement of the show cabinet at the foyer to create privacy ie pple at the door cannot really see those at home

2) the different tiles at walkway from the main entrance to our bedrooms which also separates the living and dinning hall.. someting which we thought is a fresh idea...

3) the walk in wardrobe in our master bedroom ...this one we absolutely loved .... my contractor was the only one who dared to suggest a WIW as he says our MBR space is big and y not make full use of it....

4) repositioning of the common toilet entrance door way, MBR entrance door way...

anyway .. PM sent ...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
our master bedroom view from the entrance

_MG_4671-1.jpg

our walk in wardrobe view from the toilet

_MG_4685-1.jpg

master bedroom toilet view from our walk in wardrobe

_MG_4686-1.jpg

close up of our master bedroom toilet

_MG_4684-1.jpg

wow u got a nice and cosy house... can i know where you bought your MBR curtain?

can pm me contact and add?

thanks!!

wow u got a nice and cosy house... can i know where you bought your MBR curtain?

can pm me contact and add?

thanks!!

Thanks Wenx!!

Middle Curtains from malaysia did our hse curtains... their website is here middle curtain

U can contact Ms Janice Leong or Grace, number is at the website...

Just to share...

We are so far quite happy with the service rendered, curtains quality, installation work done and most importantly the price.... so its a real thumbs up for them.... infact RT also has a few forumer's hse done by them and their review is not bad too...

We initially thought that getting our curtains done in malaysia will be quite troublesome and we were doubtful abt their workmanship and quality but we were pleasantly surprised.

W gave Janice a call and she asked us to forward her our floor plan and she quoted us an initial price which we feel is about 60% cheaper than what we will get if we get our curtains done by our local curtains shops.. then arranged for a meetup at our place and Grace will bring in luggage bags the materials for us to choose..... (almost the same way as the famous Mr Chew) ... at that time we had our hse already painted minus the furniture.. so when Grace came, she actually recommended colours and types of materials that matches our painted walls and overall theme of our hse.. we were again surprised that the materials that she recommended are not the cheapo curtains but of a certain quality and grade ... and after confirming all curtains for the whole hse, the agreed price was even lower than what was initially quoted... paid some deposit and an installation date was also fixed which is abt 1week later... and what u see is the end product... which we were extremely happy with lor :)

here's what we did:

Living hall one 95% black out full length curtains from beam to floor ( wonder y Grace claim 95% black out ?? cos when I draw them its close to 100% ) and a day curtain

2 Bedrooms 95% black out curtains full length curtains from beam to floor

MBR 95% blackout curtain with a day curtain

Dinning hall roller blinds

(Living hall curtain material we added money for a different material with a classy look)

and this costs us abt RM3600 nett

btw they charges in RM and will request that u pay them in RM lor... the best thing is they don't charge u extra for transportation or customs fee... :D

Anyway.. u can try contacting them... and all the best to ur hse reno

Thanks Wenx!!

Middle Curtains from malaysia did our hse curtains... their website is here middle curtain

U can contact Ms Janice Leong or Grace, number is at the website...

Just to share...

We are so far quite happy with the service rendered, curtains quality, installation work done and most importantly the price.... so its a real thumbs up for them.... infact RT also has a few forumer's hse done by them and their review is not bad too...

We initially thought that getting our curtains done in malaysia will be quite troublesome and we were doubtful abt their workmanship and quality but we were pleasantly surprised.

W gave Janice a call and she asked us to forward her our floor plan and she quoted us an initial price which we feel is about 60% cheaper than what we will get if we get our curtains done by our local curtains shops.. then arranged for a meetup at our place and Grace will bring in luggage bags the materials for us to choose..... (almost the same way as the famous Mr Chew) ... at that time we had our hse already painted minus the furniture.. so when Grace came, she actually recommended colours and types of materials that matches our painted walls and overall theme of our hse.. we were again surprised that the materials that she recommended are not the cheapo curtains but of a certain quality and grade ... and after confirming all curtains for the whole hse, the agreed price was even lower than what was initially quoted... paid some deposit and an installation date was also fixed which is abt 1week later... and what u see is the end product... which we were extremely happy with lor :)

here's what we did:

Living hall one 95% black out full length curtains from beam to floor ( wonder y Grace claim 95% black out ?? cos when I draw them its close to 100% ) and a day curtain

2 Bedrooms 95% black out curtains full length curtains from beam to floor

MBR 95% blackout curtain with a day curtain

Dinning hall roller blinds

(Living hall curtain material we added money for a different material with a classy look)

and this costs us abt RM3600 nett

btw they charges in RM and will request that u pay them in RM lor... the best thing is they don't charge u extra for transportation or customs fee... :D

Anyway.. u can try contacting them... and all the best to ur hse reno

Thanks for sharing! will check out their website!

anyway anyone happen to know the famous Mr Chew's contact as well? wanna do comparison hehe

Hippobb, your photos look so unreal, I thought it was 3D renderings at first!

Congrats on your reno, I think your place looks really warm and homey.

Oh, I'd like to ask about the huge wall of tinted glass in your dining room.

3. Dining hall

_MG_4649-1.jpg

I'm assuming that you installed the mirror to make the dining room appear more spacious. Did it achieve the desired effect?

I'd also like to know if you are constantly wiping fingerprints off the mirror.

My ID suggested the same thing for me and I'm a bit hesitant...

Hippobb, your photos look so unreal, I thought it was 3D renderings at first!

Congrats on your reno, I think your place looks really warm and homey.

Oh, I'd like to ask about the huge wall of tinted glass in your dining room.

I'm assuming that you installed the mirror to make the dining room appear more spacious. Did it achieve the desired effect?

I'd also like to know if you are constantly wiping fingerprints off the mirror.

My ID suggested the same thing for me and I'm a bit hesitant...

Thanks January!! Hee hee u mean photos so surreal eh?? :D

Yes, we wanted a warm, cosy and homely feel... and we loved earthy colours... :)

Making the room appear more spacious was one of the reason y we put the mirrors there... the other reasons are for FS to signify abundance of food that is placed on the dining table and also for decoration purpose cos we thought the wall looks rather plain if we were to leave it as a wall..

For the Maintenance part, not much maintenance I would say ... din see much finger prints but just a bit of dust ... so far after moving in for almost 3mths, I have only cleaned it twice each time abt 1mth + apart... and the secret easy way to cleaning mirrors to achieve a sparkling clean mirror - use newspapers!! first wipe the mirror with a damp cloth and then squash newspaper together to a small baton roll and use a bit of force and clean the wet portion off .. whole piece of wall took me only 1/2 hr .... very effective way ...and u can use the same method to clean glass windows, kitchen back splash too... Newspapers is recommended becos the ink contains a certain kind of chemical substance that effectively cleans... :)

Finally manage to scan this -

This was part of my reno contract and the electrical test by SP services (PUB) was arranged by my contractor ... Passed the second time round after rectifications was done after the first testing - more grounding was added to the PLC lightings at the living room. All electrical points was tested pass, including heater pt, aircon 15Amp pt.. :D

SP services Electrical Installation Testing Results

spservices-inspection1.jpg

This is COOL!~ Was thinking about doing it for my flat too.

How to let it done? Just call SP Services? How much does it cost?

This is COOL!~ Was thinking about doing it for my flat too.

How to let it done? Just call SP Services? How much does it cost?

Hi hyacinth266,

This was an item in my reno quote and for this item my contractor/ID charges $200 .... a price which I feel is reasonable and also it keeps our minds at peace...

From what I know, the process to getting it done is like this - the contractor's electrician ie a licensed 3rd party will do up all the major electrical works of ur house including the major Circuit Breaker box, completes all lighting installation, all electrical points installation and will arrange with SP services a testing date ( date is decided by SP services ) and will inform u. On the day of testing, both SP services and ur contractor's electrical co's certified engineer will be present and if the testing fails or if SP services measures using equipment and find something that is not right or something that is not supposed to be installed the way it is or if there is any earth leaks, they will cancel the test and will inform ur contractor to look into the area of concern....and after which ur contractor is suppose to do the rectification and apply for another testing date...

I realised that not many pple get this testing done... infact when we were sourcing for our reno ID/contractor out of the 10 ID firms that we went to, only Idept Design and The Interior place quote this additional item...

Personally, I felt that this is something very important as it concerns electrical safety especially so if the whole house electricals were re-wired and the major DB box changed... "Touch Wood" if in the event that some short circuit occurs which results in a major incident, most pple will point a finger at the electrical works and most authorities will probably wants some certification to be presented during the investigation...

SO.. spending the $200 to have a peace of mind especially when we are unfamilar with electrical works ... I think is a good worthy cost item...

Hi hyacinth266,

This was an item in my reno quote and for this item my contractor/ID charges $200 .... a price which I feel is reasonable and also it keeps our minds at peace...

From what I know, the process to getting it done is like this - the contractor's electrician ie a licensed 3rd party will do up all the major electrical works of ur house including the major Circuit Breaker box, completes all lighting installation, all electrical points installation and will arrange with SP services a testing date ( date is decided by SP services ) and will inform u. On the day of testing, both SP services and ur contractor's electrical co's certified engineer will be present and if the testing fails or if SP services measures using equipment and find something that is not right or something that is not supposed to be installed the way it is or if there is any earth leaks, they will cancel the test and will inform ur contractor to look into the area of concern....and after which ur contractor is suppose to do the rectification and apply for another testing date...

I realised that not many pple get this testing done... infact when we were sourcing for our reno ID/contractor out of the 10 ID firms that we went to, only Idept Design and The Interior place quote this additional item...

Personally, I felt that this is something very important as it concerns electrical safety especially so if the whole house electricals were re-wired and the major DB box changed... "Touch Wood" if in the event that some short circuit occurs which results in a major incident, most pple will point a finger at the electrical works and most authorities will probably wants some certification to be presented during the investigation...

SO.. spending the $200 to have a peace of mind especially when we are unfamilar with electrical works ... I think is a good worthy cost item...

Hi Hippobb...

Browsed through your pictures and I must say that your house was very nicely done up.

Possible if you can pm me the ID/ contractor no? thank you...

For me I like to leave some space for "further development", so things may look a bit plain when the family first moves in about a year things will start to fill up nicely.

Anyway blank walls in my house never stay blank for long cuz we love buying artwork and putting up photographs.

I didn't know the mirror also had a fengshui function... I'm now more inclined to have the mirror just cuz the whole family are big foodies.

and the secret easy way to cleaning mirrors to achieve a sparkling clean mirror - use newspapers!!

My grandmother used to do this! I just love how the older generation improvise new uses from common things yeah?

But yeah this method needs to be revived!

Me too. Is it possible to PM your contractor? Mine will start in feb. Thanks a lot. Your design selection is v elegant. :)

Me too. Is it possible to PM your contractor? Mine will start in feb. Thanks a lot. Your design selection is v elegant. :)

Hi Starbux,

My contractor is Ambrose from Idept Design HP: 97451412, nice guy, he's the boss too.

Happy Reno!!

Cheers

i enjoyed reading your blog! very informative and your renovation is a success. It's a very beautiful home.

Thumbs up! Hope mine will turn out nice too.. just started hacking...

Hi Serangoon4room,

Thanks!

Hope to see the pics of ur hse!! Happy Reno!!

Cheers!