Ceiling Fan & Light Issue

Hi folks,

We are planning to put a KDK baby fan in the bedrooms. But as u know,

KDKs don't come with lite kit.

The dilemma is how to place the ceiling lites w/o or as little blade shadows

as possible.

Anyone with pics on how they do theirs?

thanks all!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

i have installed the kdk fan in my room. my initial thoughts was that if lights are too near the fan, it will shine onto the blades and cause shadow. But i was wrong.

my setup:

on one side of the wall:

30212_393213343878_520963878_393812.jpg

on the opposite side of the wall:

DSC04915.jpg

Notice the shadow on the 2nd picture. Had i shifted the light to put it on the ceiling, fan shadow would be greatly reduced or hardly visible. Right now if i switch on the light in the 2nd pic, less shadow will appear

My conclusion is:

shadows appear when a certain portion of the room is not bright enough.. hence to totally avoid shadows is hard, you need to have lights shining all around. Which will also mean that your bedroom is "unromantic" :P

The more romantic version is to surround your fan with down lights but take note that none of the lights must shine onto the fan, if not there will be shadow.

Using a flourescent tube is perfectly fine as light will shine into the area "between the blade and the ceiling". However, if you get a ceiling fan with lights like this:

http://www.google.com.sg/imglanding?q=ceil...-kM&start=5

Shadows will always be there, which is extremely irritating to me. Especially with the blade turning...

Hope it helps. :)

Edited by gimz63251073

Thank you gimz63251073 !

That's the KDK we are aiming to get.

Thanks for the pics and info :)

Thought of fan+lites but that will be too low for bedroom. So might be using 2 lights

like you!

Edited by pnokio

Thank you gimz63251073 !

That's the KDK we are aiming to get.

Thanks for the pics and info :)

Thought of fan+lites but that will be too low for bedroom. So might be using 2 lights

like you!

i learnt alot from this forum, so just sharing what i have gone through, hope it helps!

but i think still think my room is too bright...perhapsi might want to try warm white in future..

if not i have to end up wearing shades in the room :P

i learnt alot from this forum, so just sharing what i have gone through, hope it helps!

but i think still think my room is too bright...perhapsi might want to try warm white in future..

if not i have to end up wearing shades in the room :P

We finally decide to get fan+lite. Those one round below fan type. N perhaps to supplement wif table lamp if need be.

Shades in the room!! :) good one

You had the same concern as me. I also looking into KDK baby fan but wondering how to even out the light brightness. Eventually I decided with something like this... But not those hamburger ceiling light. =)

Final%20Design%20-%20RMs.jpg

Hi sunny. Hamburger lites lol come to thnk of it. Ur layout is the same as wat my contractor advise us to do too. Shall give it more tots. Alpha v6 looks nice. Wonder if its suitable for bedrooms??

Hi sunny. Hamburger lites lol come to thnk of it. Ur layout is the same as wat my contractor advise us to do too. Shall give it more tots. Alpha v6 looks nice. Wonder if its suitable for bedrooms??

I'm jus curious, V6 seems popular in this forum. I only got to know V6 like 2 days ago and personally, i dun like it, i still prefer simple KDK Baby Fan.

to reduce shadow casting of the ceiling fan,

umm I believe if the ceiling fans had light lit set on it, thus with the light rays around the object , this will also minimize the shadows.

my relative's hse has one ceiling fan (close to ceiling type, no lights) and 2 hamburger lights in his living room.

Light---Fan---Light

No shadow at all. But it also means that he has 3 wire casings running across the living room ceiling, not everyone can accept it. :)

my relative's hse has one ceiling fan (close to ceiling type, no lights) and 2 hamburger lights in his living room.

Light---Fan---Light

No shadow at all. But it also means that he has 3 wire casings running across the living room ceiling, not everyone can accept it. :)

Well. Wiring case is something that cannot be hide, unless illegally conceal it.

Is there a wireless power technology in market?

Well. Wiring case is something that cannot be hide, unless illegally conceal it.

Is there a wireless power technology in market?

yeap, but it can be minimised using false ceiling only.

there is wireless, i remember chancing on the website before. But decided against it, too high tech most likely means expensive and maintenance is an issue...

actually i found out that lights use 3 pieces of 1.5mm wires, so in fact consumers can get the electrician to use the tinest casing for lights to minimise the impact... :) just that it gives the electrician a bigger headache in estimating materials.. :P

yeap, but it can be minimised using false ceiling only.

there is wireless, i remember chancing on the website before. But decided against it, too high tech most likely means expensive and maintenance is an issue...

actually i found out that lights use 3 pieces of 1.5mm wires, so in fact consumers can get the electrician to use the tinest casing for lights to minimise the impact... :) just that it gives the electrician a bigger headache in estimating materials.. :P

You are right bro, light uses 1.5mm wires but I'm not sure about fan bcos fan start up current is relatively higher then light, so best is use 2.5mm for all. Casing size available in market are 0.5"(telephone casing), 1", 1.5" and 2".

Electricians normally have all sort of materials standby in their vechicle. :)

i will be using cove lighting around my ceiling fan with a clearance of 1" at each side. dunno if that will cause shadows.. but will be having down lights around the false ceiling also.. so hope the overall effect won't be too irritating