Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
alex168lim

Re-varnish Teak Parquet Floor

Hi all,

Planned to re-varnish my ten-years old teak parquet flooring in my 3 bedrooms.

But I liked to have a lighter tone on my floor and wonder whether it is possible to colour the bare teak wood (after it has been filed down) with a dye and then varnish.

Also, I have pets at home and the last re-varnish of the floorings have cause considerable damages to their livers. This time, I like to go for a non-toxic varnish. Any recommendation ?

many thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I doubt they can sand down so deeply to remove the previous dye. Does depends how much dye the timber takes in though. After sanding down, they'll lacqure the surface, and it really stinks with thinner smell and have eye burning effect. I suppose you keep your pet out for at least 2 -3 days until the smell and vapour has reduced.

I doubt they can sand down so deeply to remove the previous dye. Does depends how much dye the timber takes in though. After sanding down, they'll lacqure the surface, and it really stinks with thinner smell and have eye burning effect. I suppose you keep your pet out for at least 2 -3 days until the smell and vapour has reduced.

Though this thread is quite old .. you can consider water borne lacquers and dyes. No thinner or solvents used, no eye burning effects.

Hi, Everyone

Happy New Year, a bit late :yamseng: waterbase varnish should be safer for pets and for sanding a

wood flooring which I had it done to my previous home you need to know the thickness cause over-sanding

will destroy the wood flooring.

Just to let everyone know, Hau Hau Parquet has moved their office to Blk 5, Kaki Bukit Road 1, #B1-07

Singapore 415936.

You can try contacting Hau Hau Parquet for flooring repairs. :rolleyes:

Hi all, just had repair done to my parquet floor. Understand that some of you have had repair work done in one day so that means one coat of varnish only? Is that enough? Mine had only one coat only as well... : (

Thank you.

Hi all, just had repair done to my parquet floor. Understand that some of you have had repair work done in one day so that means one coat of varnish only? Is that enough? Mine had only one coat only as well... : (

Thank you.

Hi friend

its enough already + they would use the hardener solution. i did for my commercial project 1000+ sqf

took about 1 night to complete too.

Thanks, Rakieno. So yours is for industrial use? Hihgh chances of humidity?

My room is very humid and had bad mould problem before. So am very worried that with only one coat of varnish, the wood will absorb the moisture in the air. Hence, am thinking if I should ask the contractor to do one more coat although I also understand that coats of varnish are supposed to be done hours apart. Mine is done almost for a day.

So should I leave it?

Thanks!

Thanks, Rakieno. So yours is for industrial use? Hihgh chances of humidity?

My room is very humid and had bad mould problem before. So am very worried that with only one coat of varnish, the wood will absorb the moisture in the air. Hence, am thinking if I should ask the contractor to do one more coat although I also understand that coats of varnish are supposed to be done hours apart. Mine is done almost for a day.

So should I leave it?

Thanks!

Yeah you should leave it there till the pungent smell gone, if theres is any defect you can call back your contractor if not sth is wrong.

Np (:

Question to ask,how does the process goes for revarnishing/re-sanding down of solid wood flooring in a stay in home condition,especially bedrroms when it's fully occupied with furnitures,etcs.Do we have to move out?How dusty will it be?

And how long does the coating take to dry?How long does it take before we can step on it?Regarding indentations and

shrinkage,is there any way to solve it?Curious to know.Hope the professionals in this field can help to provide more information and enlighten us.Thanks in advance.

Question to ask,how does the process goes for revarnishing/re-sanding down of solid wood flooring in a stay in home condition,especially bedrroms when it's fully occupied with furnitures,etcs.Do we have to move out?How dusty will it be?

And how long does the coating take to dry?How long does it take before we can step on it?Regarding indentations and

shrinkage,is there any way to solve it?Curious to know.Hope the professionals in this field can help to provide more information and enlighten us.Thanks in advance.

yes u have to move out all the furnitures , if not i suggest you pay them kopi $ to help you move out . i can say its very dusty coating took about

8 hours after varnishing before i step in . usually the contractor will grind the surface make sure its level. This is just a rough information i see .