Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wolverine23

Loft Unit - Building A 2nd Floor

Hi, if I have a loft apartment unit (height about 5m) and want to build a staircase and 2nd floor, do I need to get MCST approval?

Whats are the pros and cons of doing it withg approval?

Any good contractors to recommend?

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi, if I have a loft apartment unit (height about 5m) and want to build a staircase and 2nd floor, do I need to get MCST approval?

Thanks!

no one has any experience on this????? :(

1. You probably need to obtain approval from the MCST else you may be directed to remove the alterations at your own expense.

2. Building an additional floor at your loft unit involves increasing your build-in area, which in turns increases the GFA of the development. This requires URA approval.

no one has any experience on this????? :(

1. You probably need to obtain approval from the MCST else you may be directed to remove the alterations at your own expense.

2. Building an additional floor at your loft unit involves increasing your build-in area, which in turns increases the GFA of the development. This requires URA approval.

emmm...will it usually be approved????

It is similar to asking whether the roof top terrace can be enclosed and whether a extra room can be constructed there.

Most of the time, it is not approved but please do check with the relevant authorities on this.

If i was the developer, i would have achieved 110% efficiency in utilising the approved GFA (additional 10% through "bonus GFA" via open balconies etc) for the development. Every sell-able floor area counts including roof terraces and if i could build an additional floor for that loft unit, i would have directed the architect to do so.

emmm...will it usually be approved????

sigh.... thinking of doing it but I think will be hard to get approval, plus will be more expensive....

should I just go ahead and do it since its for my own stay???

It is similar to asking whether the roof top terrace can be enclosed and whether a extra room can be constructed there.

Most of the time, it is not approved but please do check with the relevant authorities on this.

If i was the developer, i would have achieved 110% efficiency in utilising the approved GFA (additional 10% through "bonus GFA" via open balconies etc) for the development. Every sell-able floor area counts including roof terraces and if i could build an additional floor for that loft unit, i would have directed the architect to do so.

MCST or your neighbors will eventually find out ...

sigh.... thinking of doing it but I think will be hard to get approval, plus will be more expensive....

should I just go ahead and do it since its for my own stay???

now i am torn in-between..... dunno whether to call the MCST or go ahead....

I would advise you to think carefully first. Additional GFA is one matter, the load bearing due to the additional weight is a more serious safty concern. your best bet is ti get professional advise and not just from your ID

I would advise you to think carefully first. Additional GFA is one matter, the load bearing due to the additional weight is a more serious safty concern. your best bet is ti get professional advise and not just from your ID

Agreed with yqt. Best to seek neccessary approvals for such alterations....

To have to restore to original if found out is a small, small issue .... Safety to the building and pple in the building/below you is a big and serious big issue that you should consider very carefully.

Thanks!

Hi... Does your unit have additional flr area (i.e. liveable is 100sqm and official unit size is 120sqm)??

If this is the case, you do not need anymore GFA from the development to build a loft (assuming you keep it below 20sqm)??

Any architects can advise on the above case when the unit actually has a pretty substantial flr area on top of the liveable space? Building a loft doesnt incur additional flr area requirement in this case and doesnt need MCST approval?? Of cos, proper certification of works and building is still required.

Hi... Does your unit have additional flr area (i.e. liveable is 100sqm and official unit size is 120sqm)??

If this is the case, you do not need anymore GFA from the development to build a loft (assuming you keep it below 20sqm)??

Any architects can advise on the above case when the unit actually has a pretty substantial flr area on top of the liveable space? Building a loft doesnt incur additional flr area requirement in this case and doesnt need MCST approval?? Of cos, proper certification of works and building is still required.

I am not an architect.

"Official unit size" is not the same definition as GFA.

"Official unit size" maybe bigger than "livable" due to high ceiling voids. Voids never counted as GFA in the first place.

Building a legal loft will surely qualify as a GFA increase, and require the necessary approvals.

However... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: = :dunno:

I believe your "Official size" refers to "Net saleable psf". That's the number, property agents, developers use to sell you a property. It includes porches, ledges, bay windows, terraces, open balconies, roof terraces, etc.

A loft constitutes GFA. I was planning to build a loft in my new place, but scrapped it after submission to URA. After I removed the loft, I definitely saw GFA calculations go down.

BTW, I'm not an architect and I suspect most of them don't lurk in these forums. :D