Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Compiled my checklists are a busy month of sourcing for ID and gathering my previous renovation experience.

Here're my shortlisting criteria for discussion.

1. Must have 3D computer drawings (not those simple type but elaborated types, go to any exhibition and you'll see the difference) - It's important to see such high resolution design as they're the closest (even though the actual will differ from that no matter what) to the actual.

A good ID will spend effort on this and make fine changes for you. Without these (or using low quality 3D or hand-drawn) everything that can go wrong will go wrong, you may not notice it at all if the ID hid it from you.

2. Detailed Quotation with options. Not many ID are willing to provide detailed quotation with all options and would leave things out with remarks that they'll be catered later when other areas are confirmed or needs more discussion during renovation. IDs who're willing are experienced and knows exactly what they're doing. There are IDs who deliberate have options to make their quote low, while telling you the options maybe what you want but based on their experience were not required. bull****.

3. View ready works. A few IDs are not willing to bring me to customer's house to view carpentry with several excuses. If they're worried about disturbing customers, it means they do not have good rapport with them (or have too little or no customers).. or they're simply worried about their own carpentry works. An ID recently brought me to view flats that were still under renovation or renovated more than a year ago over a week, the customers were all friendly and wants me to view their flat.... and the flats didn't have top notch carpentry quality, but at least of standards...

4. Willing to meet at night, every time before contract signature. I'll only check on my house when I'm super free at night and I want them to react. If they refuse to me you know, they won't react to you at night after you signed.

5. Must be outspoken when talking about his area of expertise - managing projects and ID... not sales talk.... If he's only good in sales talk, get rid of him, he's a NATO (No Action Talk Only), if it's not outspoken when talking about managing projects and ID, get rid of him as he won't be able to control his workers well or relate his ideas to his workers. BUT I also omit ID who tells me they are experts in all areas of renovation, electricity, carpentry,etc.. bull****s...

I'll omited IDs who tell me their prices are higher than average due to their good quality carpentry and worksmanship. These are bull****s.... The best carpentry I've experienced (best material with angling equipment, there're only a handful of carpentry workshop with full equipment that doesn't require the wood to be cut to make difficult angles out of plywood) was also the cheapest I had. and they were extremely professional.

My previous ID had fantastic worksmanship, but when he did my friend's house, it was horrible.. why? new carpenter trainee in the house... but he rectified the defects beyond warranty to uphold his reputation.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request