Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
segarian

Bt Pangjang - Segar Road Resident

Yup.. The tiles for the living room and bed rooms are all free coz they have the design i want. (actually i just want plain white).

All the hacking and materials, labour, washing etc etc..

Except for the tiles in kitchen and bathroom i have to top up because i am choosing another design. But the labour for that will be waived off by hdb.. so i will only be topping up for the tiles.

hi wendily,

that's so lucky of you!:thumbs up:

we just collected our keys. but our flooring appears to have just been recently changed leh coz the groutings are all so white. :notti: but we found alot of uneven tiling works though.

how to check for hollow tiles huh? use keys can already???

my to is also uma. but still have to go back and do a thorough checks again.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hi wendily,

that's so lucky of you!:sport-smiley-004:

we just collected our keys. but our flooring appears to have just been recently changed leh coz the groutings are all so white. :dunno: but we found alot of uneven tiling works though.

Halo wei ling..

My tiles are new one also.. coz its very new.. and when i get the contractors to come and see.. they were shocked also.. coz they just changed it!

I use keys and knock all 4 corners.. and also the centre.. I actually have list of defects to check.. You see the below.. Hope it is useful.. Anyway.. remember to write everything u want them to change.. coz the TO don't come and inspect.. the contractor just change for you everything u write on the list...

Tiles

For Premium, there are tiles laid already, so you have to check for all the tiles. You have to knock each of them which either keys or coins, the you hear whether is it hollow. The sound is very obvious if it is hollow. You also have to check or cracks on the tiles. (Includes wall, floor, kitchen, toilet) You can also check for any 'pop' up tiles or uneven tiles laid.

Doors

You then can check on all your doors, whther is it easy to close and open, whether the hinges of the door is secure properly, any missing screws, check the door closure, the door knob, check the door for any cracks, if its wooden door see if there are any chipped offs.

Windows

For windows, also check for any missing screws, any hinge not secure properly. Also check whether there are any defects on the windows, the glass panel (any cracks or scratches)

Walls

For walls, you can check for any cracks, any holes.

You can also check for the levelling of your floor. For example, if you pour water on you floor, will it flow very fast downwards, or in your kitchen, or toilet.. If there are no gradient in the toilet, it means the water might not flow fast enough to the floor trap.. and might result in 'flood' next time you bath. Also check for water proofing, any seepage through the tiles in the toilet.

Electrical

Check all the power points, see if there are any cracks on the casing. If there are, ask them to change, becuse you don't want to be resulted in any short circuit, or electricution. If there are hanging wires, check that they are not damaged. Check all the light switches, check for cracks, check if they are easy to on and off.

hi wendily,

that's so lucky of you!:dunno:

we just collected our keys. but our flooring appears to have just been recently changed leh coz the groutings are all so white. :) but we found alot of uneven tiling works though.

Use a solid wooden stick (broom, mop stick) and start pounding the centre and four edges of every tile Pay attention and listen for hollow sounds

One more thing, make sure none of your pipes are choked. I poured large amounts of water into every outlet to make sure and discovered that may MBR toilet was choked, They had to go downstairs to my neighbour to clear it for me... huge chunks of cement were removed

Edited by artng

Halo Everyone..

I just went shopping for tiles at hafary. Selected a few, but then now a bit indecisive about it.

Kitchen Floor - ?

Kitchen Wall - White

Not sure what color floor tiles shld get for kitchen. My cabinet will be something white and green, so i'm not sure if a dark color floor will match. I'm lookig for white tiles, but was advised that white tiles turned dirty easily..

Any suggestions?

Bathroom wall - white/yellow

Bathroom floor - black

Halo Everyone..

I just went shopping for tiles at hafary. Selected a few, but then now a bit indecisive about it.

Kitchen Floor - ?

Kitchen Wall - White

Not sure what color floor tiles shld get for kitchen. My cabinet will be something white and green, so i'm not sure if a dark color floor will match. I'm lookig for white tiles, but was advised that white tiles turned dirty easily..

Any suggestions?

Bathroom wall - white/yellow

Bathroom floor - black

Light grey floor tiles for your kitchen? Should match with any colour of cabinets....

Fellow Segar-ians, Can advise me on what to do?

Currently i'm hacking away all the tiles, so before re laying them, what are the items i should start off with? It best if someone could write a list as a guide for me?

What comes first, and what comes last?

Thanks.. Quite lost now !

Fellow Segar-ians, Can advise me on what to do?

Currently i'm hacking away all the tiles, so before re laying them, what are the items i should start off with? It best if someone could write a list as a guide for me?

What comes first, and what comes last?

Thanks.. Quite lost now !

False ceiling (if any) and wiring (must decide number of additional power points, moving switches or points, placement or electrical appliances), maybe even piping though these 'first' items are not as a general rule. The rest can come later

As they lay the floor, just make sure they clean the laid areas well before placing protective cardboard over or else you may still have scratches or your beautiful white grouting will turn colour due to the collection of dirt (grey cement dust).

Have you considered how you gonna do your toilets? Shower screen? Instead of doing a shower kerb, I just made the shower area lower and raised the basin and bowl area. I also enlarged my MBR shower area by making the door smaller (the door was almost 34 inch wide while the shower area was just too narrow)

If I guessed your flat configuration correctly, your middle room (Maybe room 2) has a long passageway into the bed area. Maybe you can consider moving the door back by 2 metres giving all 3 room a 'private space'

Once more thing, we may also want to consider plastering your walls to give it a fine smooth feeling before painting. The walls we have are rather uneven and rough if you'd take a closer look. They will show even more if you use strong colours or turn on the lights against them at night

Good luck

Edited by artng

Hey Segar-ians..

I settled my tiles already.. but i dunno if its expensive anot..

Current damaged

i changed my kitchen floor and wall tiles, 2 bathrooms wall and floor tiles, service balcony, balcony and store floor tiles.. - $1700

Lightings - $1300

Furnitures (Bed, mattress, dining table, 2 seater sofa) - $2500

There's still many more things to come... but currently thats how much i spent...

Any recommendation where to get cheap and nice sofa, TV, Washing Machine, Dryer, microwave, W.C?

Show you guys some pictures of the dining i bought..

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

Hey Segar-ians..

I settled my tiles already.. but i dunno if its expensive anot..

Current damaged

i changed my kitchen floor and wall tiles, 2 bathrooms wall and floor tiles, service balcony, balcony and store floor tiles.. - $1700

Lightings - $1300

Furnitures (Bed, mattress, dining table, 2 seater sofa) - $2500

There's still many more things to come... but currently thats how much i spent...

Any recommendation where to get cheap and nice sofa, TV, Washing Machine, Dryer, microwave, W.C?

Show you guys some pictures of the dining i bought..

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

wow very nice! the dining chairs very funky leh...good choice! :yamseng:

As for electrical appliances, I got mine from Ban Kim chuan. Just call them to place order and pay when goods are delivered to your home, prices are slightly cheaper than other neighbourhood shops. Can try Hong Liang too...

Check out the threads in the electrical and electronics category. Many recommendations.

hey fellow segarians,

do you all have any lobang for painters? just wanna paint house nia...

whats the cost like and their workmanship.... appreciate any recommendations

hahaa thanks! :wub:

Painting is quite straightforward.... If you have the time visit ICI's website. They are able to tell you what 'colour' you are if you'd answer a few simple questions. They will even provide suggestions if you email them photos of your house. You can engage them to paint your house as well.... The rest can be found in the buying guide. Normally painting cost for an EA is between 1200 to 1500 for 3 coats, 5 colours, negotiable