Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gatecrasher

Architect To Recommend?

Hi,

I am new to this forum and hope to be able to get some good advise.

Have just purchased an old 2 storey inter-terrace (1957) and am looking to do some renovations including relocation of toliets and reconfiguring the internal rooms i.e. living/kitchen/bedrooms. However, to control cost, I do not plan to move any structure pillars or external walls or increase the floor area. The only pillar I plan to remove is the one at the car porch supporting the roof shelter which I plan to replace with a simple flat glass shelter. I have an old school contractor friend who can help me with the renovations but he recommends that I engage an architect since I am making significant internal alterations.

I subsequently made a cold call to an Architect who claims I will also need a PE regardless and the total cost for engaging him (Architect only) will be in excess of $10k. I am not sure if this is the market rate for engaging an architect?

Can someone advise if;

1) Would I need both an Architect and a PE to endorse the renovation even though I am not making any structural alterations?

2) How much is the market rate to engage an Architect?

3) Can anyone recommend a good Architect that charges a reasonable rate.

All feedbacks are appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Freddie

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Gatecrasher,

You may need to make structural alterations since you plan to shift the toilets. As you shift the positioning of the toilets, the PE will need to calculate the weight of the load redistribution.

$10K for engaging the architect is quite a reasonable price.

If you wish to seek another architect's views, I can share my architect's contact with you. PM me if you need.

Hi,

Have just purchased an old 2 storey inter-terrace (1957) and am looking to do some renovations including relocation of toliets and reconfiguring the internal rooms i.e. living/kitchen/bedrooms. However, to control cost, I do not plan to move any structure pillars or external walls or increase the floor area. The only pillar I plan to remove is the one at the car porch supporting the roof shelter which I plan to replace with a simple flat glass shelter. I have an old school contractor friend who can help me with the renovations but he recommends that I engage an architect since I am making significant internal alterations.

I subsequently made a cold call to an Architect who claims I will also need a PE regardless and the total cost for engaging him (Architect only) will be in excess of $10k. I am not sure if this is the market rate for engaging an architect?

Can someone advise if;

1) Would I need both an Architect and a PE to endorse the renovation even though I am not making any structural alterations?

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Freddie

Hi Freddie,

Can you let me have the contact number of the architect whom you are using. You mentioned 10k or so? Thanks

Hi,

Can someone advise if;

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Freddie

Hi,

You would need the engineering for submission for structure and toilet & archi to submit for your plan, thus you need both, normally around 23k or less .

You may also get a designer to design and then ask archi & engineer to submit only, also you propose the design and ask archi and eng to submit, this will cost lower for sure ( around 12k+- for both )

I have an engineer and archi which is used by builders that may help, if you want to try your luck just pm me.

Hi,

I'm doing reno work for my terr (no tear down & extension) but a major overhaul on the interior & car pouch & garden. I need a designer who can design, get PE to submit for approval (if neccessary), get builders to submit for tenders & willing to oversea the renovation work.

Any recommendation? Pls PM me.

Hi Freddie,

Can you let me have the contact number of the architect whom you are using. You mentioned 10k or so? Thanks

Hi Ram Ram,

Eventually, I did not employ an architect nor a PE. I did an extensive 'research' and worked out a solution (incl clarifying with URA) to renovate my house extensively without the use of architect/PE as I am not increasing the GFA and avoided knocking the major structure/pillar. I believe this will save me at least $15-20k in PE/Architect plus all the submission fees.

Hi Ram Ram,

Eventually, I did not employ an architect nor a PE. I did an extensive 'research' and worked out a solution (incl clarifying with URA) to renovate my house extensively without the use of architect/PE as I am not increasing the GFA and avoided knocking the major structure/pillar. I believe this will save me at least $15-20k in PE/Architect plus all the submission fees.

Thanks. Lucky you no need to engage these guys.

Hi,

You would need the engineering for submission for structure and toilet & archi to submit for your plan, thus you need both, normally around 23k or less .

You may also get a designer to design and then ask archi & engineer to submit only, also you propose the design and ask archi and eng to submit, this will cost lower for sure ( around 12k+- for both )

I have an engineer and archi which is used by builders that may help, if you want to try your luck just pm me.

Hi Philzero

Can pm me the architect as I am going to do reconstruction soon on my terrace hse.

thanks