Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
moonlit

Backsplash: Tiles, Stainless Steel, Glass Or...?

an update from Dama:

went down last sat, sales ger told me to use aluminium composite panel at hob area, better to use the fire-proof version for safety.

cost is $160 per piece (4ft by 8ft). The bad thing is come in only a few colours, like grey, white. Not as much choices. Also, i would not need such a big piece, hence the rest of the board will be wasted.

Kinda expensive when normal aluminium composite panel cost like $50+ per piece.

thought about it deeply and decide that its not worth it.

in the end, got this from ikea:

http://www.ikea.com.sg/en/catalog/detail.a...d=panel&b=7

intend to stick it to kitchen wall at the hob area. Just $19 and the main aim is to make the place easier to clean. I think should suffice. :)

Edit: material is High-pressure melamine laminate. which is used for most kitchen cabinets. hence should be able to withstand the heat.

Edited by gimz63251073

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

my previous place i had s/s backing, i find it takes a bit more time to clean to remoe those soapy streaks.. but once done with cleaning, it can look as good as new.. had it for 8 years and it still look great. so this time, i opt for s/s backing too. bigger piece some more.... didn't take the glass backing cos hubby keep scaring me with the stains at the corner.. besides, i feel s/s looks better with my silver oven and fridge..

Hi there,

I've always thought I'll go for tiles but recently start to like the look of stainless steel backsplash.

What sort of backsplash do you have?

Is it hard to maintain?

Do you wish you have chosen something else?

Appreciate if you could share your experience/knowledge. TIA! :yamseng:

Choose stainless steel kitchen backsplash if you would like your kitchen to stand out and stunning. It is now becoming more popular in restaurants and now in home kitchens. There are advantages of installing a stainless steel backsplash.

Cleaning – stainless steel backsplash is easy to clean. Simply wipe the dirt with a rag and water.

Looks – it has a very high-end look to it. Many people prefer the look of stainless steel because it is very sleek and modern. When your kitchen as stainless steel appliances, this type of backsplash finishes off the look in the kitchen very nicely. And lastly;

Strong – it is strong compared to some of the other backsplash materials. But with stainless steel, you are going to be able to avoid chips and cracks easier. :rolleyes::disturb:

Edited by danneva

I'm using tiles at the moment. Clean wise not that difficult. Just use normal dish washing liquid will do.

I did consider glass and stainless steel. But stainless steel is quite ex so i gave that up. Glass actually looks quite gd and there was a lot of colour and design to chose from compared to stainless steel. But i was afraid of accidentally breaking it.

Else, you can consider like what the others had mentioned. Buying those plastic/aluminium sheet from Daiso etc and replacing them when required : )

Hi all, pardon my ignorance, but is this S/S similar like something to put in between the top and bottom cabinet against the wall.

If so, can anyone advise me on the approx cost for a colored glass backing with the measurement of L: 2000mm and H: 700mm. I was quoted $900 for that by my ID and was wondering if it is worth the money...

Thanks

I'm using tiles at the moment. Clean wise not that difficult. Just use normal dish washing liquid will do.

I did consider glass and stainless steel. But stainless steel is quite ex so i gave that up. Glass actually looks quite gd and there was a lot of colour and design to chose from compared to stainless steel. But i was afraid of accidentally breaking it.

Else, you can consider like what the others had mentioned. Buying those plastic/aluminium sheet from Daiso etc and replacing them when required : )

Stainless steel backsplash is expensive, but most people consider the convenience value rather than the cost, while opting them. There are various advantages of stainless steel kitchen backsplash that make it ideal for use as a kitchen backsplash. These advantages are mainly due to the properties exhibited by stainless steel.

– it is highly resistant to stains and corrosion

– it rates high on durability and is highly heat resistant and waterproof

– it is crack resistant, is easy to install and provides an easy to clean surface

– it adds to the appearance of the kitchen by giving it a sleek and modern look

– it is hygienic and its color does not fade with time.

Edited by danneva

Hi

Doing glass backsplash (6mm thickness) for my kitchen as most renotalker mentioned it is easier to maintain than stainless steel. Initially wanna to do stainless steel for those area behind my hobs.

but do take note, if u plan to paint the backsplash in white background, it will result a bit greenish as that the glass color. Someone mentioned there is higher grade glass with less greenish but ID still mentioned there will some green as well & not worth the price. hope this help

renotalk poll on backsplash link

Guess the better material used would be crystal... which is more costly than glass without any green tint

hi all, i just got into this thread. am starting reno works on my resale flat soon. may i ask, if i plan to drill something into the backsplash area to hold utenstils etc, what material would be more ideal? glass will crack rite? how bout stainless steel? or can i only use tiles?

thanks!

my quote includes granite top c/w backsplash. when i asked my id abt it, he told me that the backsplash refers to the small protuding granite backing of my granite top. Not those entire wall backing as you guys mentioned. How come so confusing?