Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Dear All,

I'm quite new to this, although I've been wanting a decent sound system for many years. But didn't bother buying anything for the rental (then bought) old HDB flat.

Since we are moving to our new 5rm HDB flat soon, I guess it's time to get a decent sound system. We've decided on the TV and BR player (Samsung 46" LED w/ BR bundle), what else do I need to buy to have a decent sound system? My usage would be movies and music, and budget is 2.5k to 3k (not including the TV and BR player). 5.1 speaker should be sufficient I guess, and our place isn't too big, about 3.5m to the TV, but the living room is pretty decent which includes a study room in the hall.

Your suggestion would be very appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers!

Frank

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Dear All,

I'm quite new to this, although I've been wanting a decent sound system for many years. But didn't bother buying anything for the rental (then bought) old HDB flat.

Since we are moving to our new 5rm HDB flat soon, I guess it's time to get a decent sound system. We've decided on the TV and BR player (Samsung 46" LED w/ BR bundle), what else do I need to buy to have a decent sound system? My usage would be movies and music, and budget is 2.5k to 3k (not including the TV and BR player). 5.1 speaker should be sufficient I guess, and our place isn't too big, about 3.5m to the TV, but the living room is pretty decent which includes a study room in the hall.

Your suggestion would be very appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers!

Frank

Hi

Congrats on getting a new home. Thankfully you have a clear budget for a proper HTS.

Let me help you to decide.

Within your budget, the usual suspects for sats speakers -

1. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema series. A few forummers in this forum are proud owners

2. Klipsch

3. Mordaunt Short MS

4. Tannoy Arena

5. B&W MT20/25/30

Items 4 & 5 are a bit pricier but what you pay for is what you get.

Usually I would recommend a good sub woofer to replace the exisiting set up. But if youre happy with the current sub, keep it by

all means.

As for receiver, look no further than Onkyos & yamahas.

Bluray player, get the OPPO80 or 83. The upscale conversion of these OPPo players makes your DVD pix looks like BR pix.

Cheers

Hi

Congrats on getting a new home. Thankfully you have a clear budget for a proper HTS.

1. Definitive Technology Pro Cinema series. A few forummers in this forum are proud owners

2. Klipsch

3. Mordaunt Short MS

4. Tannoy Arena

5. B&W MT20/25/30

Usually I would recommend a good sub woofer to replace the exisiting set up. But if youre happy with the current sub, keep it by

all means.

Bluray player, get the OPPO80 or 83. The upscale conversion of these OPPo players makes your DVD pix looks like BR pix.

Cheers

hi vicenzo,

you seem very experienced in this area. hope you can give me some advice.

I'm looking for an entry level 5.1 system to install in my living hall. main purpose is to give me better than "tv speaker" sound when im watching movies on my media centre (most of the time). rarely do i watch dvds and BR discs.

hope you can give me some suggestions.

Thanks

hi vicenzo,

you seem very experienced in this area. hope you can give me some advice.

I'm looking for an entry level 5.1 system to install in my living hall. main purpose is to give me better than "tv speaker" sound when im watching movies on my media centre (most of the time). rarely do i watch dvds and BR discs.

hope you can give me some suggestions.

Thanks

Hi

What media centre are you using?

Cheers

Hi

What media centre are you using?

Cheers

haven bought it yet.. but most probably astone

will go shopping for it at the next pc show

Edited by wolflet

haven bought it yet.. but most probably astone

will go shopping for it at the next pc show

Errr.....If youre getting a HD media Player, you would still need to get a power amp to drive your 5.1 speakers.

Im all for getting dedicated equipments for dedicated functions.

Cheers

Hi

2. Klipsch

3. Mordaunt Short MS

4. Tannoy Arena

5. B&W MT20/25/30

all means.

Cheers

Go aldephi and get poison. Lol. Btw the oppo br player how much huh?

As for the avr, different brand cater for different needs? As in whether u into movies or music? I haven try the speakers with other avr except for denon 2310.

Go aldephi and get poison. Lol. Btw the oppo br player how much huh?

As for the avr, different brand cater for different needs? As in whether u into movies or music? I haven try the speakers with other avr except for denon 2310.

OPPO80 is $588 & OPPO83 is $999. Can get it at Audio Iconic. Think its at basement Adelphi. Look for Patrick.

Please note that only OPPO players can play Region A & Region B Bluray Discs. The other brands cannot hor.

On another note, both these model plays SACD as well. Other models are just frill free BR player.

Cheers

OPPO80 is $588 & OPPO83 is $999. Can get it at Audio Iconic. Think its at basement Adelphi. Look for Patrick.

Please note that only OPPO players can play Region A & Region B Bluray Discs. The other brands cannot hor.

On another note, both these model plays SACD as well. Other models are just frill free BR player.

Cheers

wah so big differnce in the price...

Hi

2. Klipsch

3. Mordaunt Short MS

4. Tannoy Arena

5. B&W MT20/25/30

all means.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd go down to Aldeph sometime over the weekend to check these out. Been dreaming of a good sound system for a long time, finally dream coming true :) Can't wait to move in to our new (but now still empty) flat ...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd go down to Aldeph sometime over the weekend to check these out. Been dreaming of a good sound system for a long time, finally dream coming true :) Can't wait to move in to our new (but now still empty) flat ...

don go on sunday as some of the shops not open.

Okay, thanks for the reminder. Probably go there on Sat afternoon, after I come back from the PC Show :)

Bro I notice you havent decided on your HTS yet (between Mythos & the B&W MT30)

The MT30 consists of M1 sat speakers & the very brilliant but expensive PV-1 sub.

PV-1 sub can be easily replaced by a velodyne Minivee (slightly cheaper but better performance) or a SVS PB10.

I suggest you go for the B&W 600 series & replace the B&W AS602 sub with any velodyne, paradigm or SVS sub.

IMHO, Mythos is good for movie watching but a bit "thin" for music listening. B&W speakers tends to be quite warm for music.

Cheers