Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

After some quick research, decide to go w/ the following combo:

Blu-ray Player: BDP-80 or BDP-83

Amp/Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR507 or TX-SR607

Speakers: Definitive Technology ProCinema 800, 600 or 60 depends on how much money left from the above two

Since I'm setting up 5.1ch HTS only, is 607 so much better than 507? Will the 607 be overkill? There is quite some price difference between these two, but I do like the idea of having a better amp if it does enhance the quality.

Any comments on this setup and which to choose?

Again, my budget is 3k, but I don't mind saving a bit if possible ;)

Thanks and cheers!

there is onkyo 608 which just arrive not long ago, maybe you can consider tat. if you intend to get def tech system + onkyo receiver, price should be ard 3k. including the oppo player, may cost ard 3.5k.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
there is onkyo 608 which just arrive not long ago, maybe you can consider tat. if you intend to get def tech system + onkyo receiver, price should be ard 3k. including the oppo player, may cost ard 3.5k.

Man, money doesn't come easy leh :( 3K is already pushing the limit from the other side, and there is no end if chasing for the latest and the best ...

Given 3k budget, what's your suggestion then? Thanks btw :)

Edited by fengwei

After some quick research, decide to go w/ the following combo:

Blu-ray Player: BDP-80 or BDP-83

Amp/Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR507 or TX-SR607

Speakers: Definitive Technology ProCinema 800, 600 or 60 depends on how much money left from the above two

Since I'm setting up 5.1ch HTS only, is 607 so much better than 507? Will the 607 be overkill? There is quite some price difference between these two, but I do like the idea of having a better amp if it does enhance the quality.

Any comments on this setup and which to choose?

Again, my budget is 3k, but I don't mind saving a bit if possible ;)

Thanks and cheers!

Hi

Importantly is to get a good Receiver & speakers first.

Procinema 600 or 800 will suffice accompany by Onkyo 608 (good to future proof your equipment). It would set u back around $3K

plus cables.

Then again, some shops offers instalment payments, so take advantage of that.

As for BR player, the OPPO 80 ($588) will suffice if your TV is no bigger than 46". The OPPO83 will cost you a hefty $999

if you can afford it. Settle for cheaper BR player unless your finance allows you to upgrade.

Cheers

Hi

Importantly is to get a good Receiver & speakers first.

Procinema 600 or 800 will suffice accompany by Onkyo 608 (good to future proof your equipment). It would set u back around $3K

plus cables.

Then again, some shops offers instalment payments, so take advantage of that.

As for BR player, the OPPO 80 ($588) will suffice if your TV is no bigger than 46". The OPPO83 will cost you a hefty $999

if you can afford it. Settle for cheaper BR player unless your finance allows you to upgrade.

Cheers

Went to KEC today, checked out the 608 receiver and procinema 800 combo, sounds great!

I was quoted about $27xx w/ cables and installation for 800 and 608 combo, that leaves me no enough money to buy the OPPO 80 :( Wonder if the procinema 600 speakers would be sufficient for my living room (which isn't too big anyway).

They don't carry OPPO player, so I have to get it elsewhere.

Originally planned to buy Samsung 46" LED, but after some comparison and readup, now I'm thinking of getting a Plasma from Panasonic, most likely the Viera TH-P42S10. It's slightly smaller, but I like the color and movies better on this screen.

lol. I heard it before. Comparing to The Genie, wife n me were blown away by the difference. But decided not get it as I heard a better one, but cannot compare la, cos both different class. Plus I trying to get speakers that can blend into my console. :D

Hi insane,

whats the DMG for the Genie in 5.1 config...?

Hi insane,

whats the DMG for the Genie in 5.1 config...?

$1500 for the 5.1 speakers last quote fr KEC few mths back.

Went to KEC today, checked out the 608 receiver and procinema 800 combo, sounds great!

I was quoted about $27xx w/ cables and installation for 800 and 608 combo, that leaves me no enough money to buy the OPPO 80 :( Wonder if the procinema 600 speakers would be sufficient for my living room (which isn't too big anyway).

They don't carry OPPO player, so I have to get it elsewhere.

Originally planned to buy Samsung 46" LED, but after some comparison and readup, now I'm thinking of getting a Plasma from Panasonic, most likely the Viera TH-P42S10. It's slightly smaller, but I like the color and movies better on this screen.

Hi

Congrats on checking out this great combo.

A word of advice, top up the difference & get a better subwoofer. Velodyne or SVS are great subs.

OPPO BR player you have to get it from Audio Iconic. Its in the basement of Adelphi.

Lastly, the Panasonic Plasma is one of your better investment. IMHO, its pix quality is much better than LCD or LED.

Try watching the movie Pitch Black or AVP in Bluray & you'll know why Plasma will come up tops.

cheers

Hi

Congrats on checking out this great combo.

A word of advice, top up the difference & get a better subwoofer. Velodyne or SVS are great subs.

OPPO BR player you have to get it from Audio Iconic. Its in the basement of Adelphi.

Lastly, the Panasonic Plasma is one of your better investment. IMHO, its pix quality is much better than LCD or LED.

Try watching the movie Pitch Black or AVP in Bluray & you'll know why Plasma will come up tops.

cheers

hi, looking at the same combo setup? would you also recommend upgrading the front & centre speakers up a notch too? Checked out both velodyne & svs series but costing with the above upgrade with these subs would probably up the budget to abt 3.5k. would it really be discernable to an amatuer listener with these upgrades given that i normally listen to music & the radio probably upto 70% of the time while 30% would be on movies...if i had any time at all.

on the tannoy, isn't the arena an older model. heard both the procinema 800 & arenas at KEC, personally felt that the arena would be a better set given my above considerations.

cheers.

For our HT system in the living room, we bought Def tech mythos 6 and 7, in-ceiling rear speakers, velodyn sub and denon 1910. Is this good enough? Hubby is still deciding whether to upgrade to 2310.

For our dining area, we have 2 def tech in-ceiling speakers, TV with mio tv, starhub and blu ray player. Which AV receiver is good?

Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

hi, looking at the same combo setup? would you also recommend upgrading the front & centre speakers up a notch too? Checked out both velodyne & svs series but costing with the above upgrade with these subs would probably up the budget to abt 3.5k. would it really be discernable to an amatuer listener with these upgrades given that i normally listen to music & the radio probably upto 70% of the time while 30% would be on movies...if i had any time at all.

on the tannoy, isn't the arena an older model. heard both the procinema 800 & arenas at KEC, personally felt that the arena would be a better set given my above considerations.

cheers.

Hi

Do try a few other HTS set ups before deciding.

As for the DefTech setup, no need to upgrade as the LCR speakers are good enough. Do change your sub as suggested.

Yes, even amateurs will tell the difference as both Velodyne & SVS subs are capable of producing full bodied bass that is warmth

& clear without being too boomy.

Youre right again being Tannoy Arena is an old model but a solid model that until today there's still a demand for it. same goes for

the B&W MT20/25/30 series.

I would suggest you try the B&W 1st, there's a shop at Adelphi called E77 #04-01 (next to KEC). Look for Keith. Nice chap.

Cheers

For our HT system in the living room, we bought Def tech mythos 6 and 7, in-ceiling rear speakers, velodyn sub and denon 1910. Is this good enough? Hubby is still deciding whether to upgrade to 2310.

For our dining area, we have 2 def tech in-ceiling speakers, TV with mio tv, starhub and blu ray player. Which AV receiver is good?

Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

Hi

May I know how long have you had this HTS set up?

I dont see why should you upgrade unless its for better performance (change of speakers and/or other receiver models)

If you asked me, do try the Onkyos or Yamahas receivers. I have a thing against Denons.

Or you may want to upgrade your bluray player at this stage. How does the OPPO80 or 83 sounds to u?

Cheers

Hi

May I know how long have you had this HTS set up?

I dont see why should you upgrade unless its for better performance (change of speakers and/or other receiver models)

If you asked me, do try the Onkyos or Yamahas receivers. I have a thing against Denons.

Or you may want to upgrade your bluray player at this stage. How does the OPPO80 or 83 sounds to u?

Cheers

We are in the mist of renovation. Have not installed yet. We are also eyeing Onkyo for the dining area. How much is OPPO 80? Looking at Sony actually.

Cheers

We are in the mist of renovation. Have not installed yet. We are also eyeing Onkyo for the dining area. How much is OPPO 80? Looking at Sony actually.

Cheers

OPPO80 cost $588 & its good for TV up to 46". Anything bigger, you may consider the OPPO83 ($999) which can

redefine the meaning of High Definition Picture.

Do take note that OPPO BR players are the only BR players in the world that is region free. Some BR from UK are cheap

& can consider buying.

Cheers