Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Hi to all, I have been reading and learning alot from all the bros n sis in this forum. thanks to this thread, i manage to source my HTS from KEC.

I placed an order with them for the def tech Pro800 speakers and Pro1000 for the center speaker. SW selected is Velodyne CHT8. AVR is Onkyo 609.

I am wondering ifnitnwill make sense for me to have a 7.1 instead of a 5.1 HTS. Though there are more bluray discs with 7.1 audio nowadays, most of my DVD and bluray collections are in 5.1. When we play a 5.1 audio format, does 2 of the 7.1 speakers stays dormant ( i.e. Mute) throughout since the software only caters to 5.1 speakers system.

My living room measures at about 5.3m x 6m. The location of the tv will be on the left have of the 5.3m. Distance between the sofa and the TV is about 3m giving excess 3m space behind the sofa. Will it be effective for me to invest in a 7.1 instead? I was thinking of placing 2 rear speakers at the other end of the living room facing the tv. My worry is whether the my space is too small for the 7.1 effect to work out since the listening area is about 2.6m x 6m instead of the whole living room.

Hope the experts here can share your views. I will try to up load my floor plan to give a better picture. Thks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The Onkyo 609 is a 7.2 channel amp so you can have upto 7 surround sound speakers and two subwoofers if you wish too.

The amp should be able to tell how many speakers you have attached so if you are using a 5.1 speaker set-up the amp should adjust for it.

7.1 surround is still fairly rare at the moment but if you are doing a reno then I would at least lay the cable for 7 surround speakers and you could always add a couple more at a later date.

The only slight issue between 5.1 and 7.1 is that for the best results the speakers need to be placed in slightly different positions which is pretty difficult if you are putting in a permanent wiring solution.

Take a look at the speaker placement guide at the dolby web site here (checkout the speaker guide).

Bottom line is that you will not miss out on much today but better to future proof if you have the chance. Buy all speakers in one hit today of save the last two for a later date also can ;).

RB

Hi RB, thanks for your reply. 7.1 seems the way tongo since the Onkyo 609 comes with 0Prologic IIz. Should I place the 2 extra speakers in front or behind.... What is the difference in terms of sound effect? Placing them in front above the front speakers is pretty hassle free. placing them behind might give better surround effect? Laying of wires will be a true challenge :huh:

Hi RB, thanks for your reply. 7.1 seems the way tongo since the Onkyo 609 comes with 0Prologic IIz. Should I place the 2 extra speakers in front or behind.... What is the difference in terms of sound effect? Placing them in front above the front speakers is pretty hassle free. placing them behind might give better surround effect? Laying of wires will be a true challenge :huh:

The standard set-up would have the rears moved forwards so they are rear sides and then the extra two speakers go behind you. Take a look at the link to the Dolby website I put in the previous post and they have diagrams for the speaker placement depending on how many speakers you have.

Having 4 speakers for the rear and rear sides I believe is better than having two for the rears and having an extra two for the fronts. The reason for this is that some movies do have a 7.1 soundtrack and the extra 2 speakers are expected to be to the rear.

RB

Amazon are selling it for around US$500 so S$630 would not be unexpected over here.

Reviews have been positive for an entry level set-up and you can always upgrade the amp,, speakers or both in future if you wish.

RB

hi all...m new here.m about to get kef t205 system to go with my panasonic plasma 50vt20.and right now m contemplating on pioneer receiver between lx53 or even the upcoming lx55 which will be out in august.or you guys have any other recommendation receiver for me???

hi all...m new here.m about to get kef t205 system to go with my panasonic plasma 50vt20.and right now m contemplating on pioneer receiver between lx53 or even the upcoming lx55 which will be out in august.or you guys have any other recommendation receiver for me???

How good is panasonic plasma 50vt20 and how much?

How good is panasonic plasma 50vt20 and how much?

it was rated one of the top end whathifi.com for 3d hdtv and award winner.furthermore i found out from panasonic that it is made in japan whereas this year model which 50vt30 is made in thailand..only the 65inch is made in japan.got a great package from best denki..3d dvd player bdt300+ skpe camera+ 3 3d disc + additional 2 3d disc+ 100sgd ntuc voucher...sgd2699

it was rated one of the top end whathifi.com for 3d hdtv and award winner.furthermore i found out from panasonic that it is made in japan whereas this year model which 50vt30 is made in thailand..only the 65inch is made in japan.got a great package from best denki..3d dvd player bdt300+ skpe camera+ 3 3d disc + additional 2 3d disc+ 100sgd ntuc voucher...sgd2699

Great deal. Never compare with the latest LG 200hz 3DTV?

Btw, which title they give u? Got 3D Avatar?

3d avatar is exclusive for panny 3d tv customers. Was trying out LG 3d cinema tv, the new range. Price is good. Spectacles same as those used in cinema, therefore cheap to replace. I am thinking of approaching best denki to change my order from panny 58 inch to LG 55 inch & 42 inch. Wonder if they will allow. Reason being, LG is LED, lower energy consumed, thinner, cheaper and lighter 3d glasses to replace. But have to for go the 3d avatar movie.... So sad... :bangwall: