Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
JadeShrimp

L Box Defects

Hi all

Just to check... My L box is kinda crooked where the ceiling meets the L Box. My contractor said it's due to the ceiling of HDB unit, when the ceiling is uneven, the L-Box will have to yield to the uneven-ness.

dsc00533ig.th.jpg

Sorry that it is not very obvious from the pics due to the lighting, but when one is personally there, is it very obvious.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Common things contractors will say to test you resistence :

"your ceiling is crooked"

"its like that"

"its nicer this way"

My reply is that, if the ceiling is uneven, then they have to take steps to construct the L box so that it is not uneven. If yours is a design and build contract, the contractor is also responsible for the design.

I had my ceiling works amended as it was not constructed properly also ...

Hi all

Just to check... My L box is kinda crooked where the ceiling meets the L Box. My contractor said it's due to the ceiling of HDB unit, when the ceiling is uneven, the L-Box will have to yield to the uneven-ness.

dsc00533ig.th.jpg

Sorry that it is not very obvious from the pics due to the lighting, but when one is personally there, is it very obvious.

yup, when my ceiling fan is installed a bit crooked, my contractor said its the brackets, then my hubby give 'suggestions' on how it can be done. So it was straighten!

the most stuffs, its up to you to make them rectify or just accept their 'sound' explanation.

yeah lor ... sometimes they just test the client to see if they will accept ... if they accept, then they save money ...

yup, when my ceiling fan is installed a bit crooked, my contractor said its the brackets, then my hubby give 'suggestions' on how it can be done. So it was straighten!

the most stuffs, its up to you to make them rectify or just accept their 'sound' explanation.

I already made the request for the contractor to rectify it twice and same thing. He said it just cannot be helped..... sigh!

i think it can be done. it is the method of construction of the gypsum board how you will make your overall L box straight.

Even if you are concealing a structured column, they can actually put an alignment to make the whole thing straight..

So it is a no no "can't be done"thingy.

[

hahaha ...

that was what my contractor always say ... cannot be done ... like that not nice ...

in the end, he still had to rectify for me

quote name=JadeShrimp' date='Jun 16 2010, 07:38 PM' post='543467]

I already made the request for the contractor to rectify it twice and same thing. He said it just cannot be helped..... sigh!

uh? false ceiling can "adjust" to make straight one mah?

the cement base not straight but tiler can make tiles till its level.

the wall not straight but carpenter can make the wardrobe straight.

lol, look at the photo in detail... its the original ceiling which is uneven, its got nothing to do with the newly constructed L-box... Nothing can be done to the original unless u do new plastering to the ceiling, or construct a new false ceiling to conceal the original ceiling completely...

Just my 2 cents...

I asked him if plastering could be the problem. But he said that plastering merely confirms to what the original is. It's just a layer to cover it. Hence if there is a bump, the plastering can only follow the bump.

Next, I asked him if he could have flattened that bit first before putting L box, he said nooooooo... I'm utterly tired to argue with him again...

I have 2 such L boxes with crooked lines. The other one has 2 crooked bits!

Is your renovation for the ceiling part of the whole house renovation ?

Not happy ... then hold back payment lor ...

My usual take is that if they claim that the ceiling was slanted already in the first place, then it is the contractor's duty to warn the consumer before proceeding.

I asked him if plastering could be the problem. But he said that plastering merely confirms to what the original is. It's just a layer to cover it. Hence if there is a bump, the plastering can only follow the bump.

Next, I asked him if he could have flattened that bit first before putting L box, he said nooooooo... I'm utterly tired to argue with him again...

I have 2 such L boxes with crooked lines. The other one has 2 crooked bits!

Is your renovation for the ceiling part of the whole house renovation ?

Not happy ... then hold back payment lor ...

My usual take is that if they claim that the ceiling was slanted already in the first place, then it is the contractor's duty to warn the consumer before proceeding.

Mine was overall renovation. I should ask for discount then... haha!!

It is like asking the contractor to build a house on the land, and the house is build slanted. And then the contractor tells you it is because the plot of land is not flat. How's that for an example ?

As a contractor, whom you assume is reasonably skilled, he/she owns a duty of care ..... cannot say, it is because ceiling is slanted after executing the work.

Frankly speaking, de Pierre is correct. Beside consealing the uneven portion, no one else on this earth can "rectify" this. Fundamentally, it is not the contractor's fault. What you can say to him is he, as experienced professional, failed to visualise this effect before construction & therefore failed to advise you according, cut $$$!

Cut $$$ is small issue, the bigger issue is you has to face this uneven structure everyday! Mood sure get disrupted ! Seriously think if feasible to extend the width some more to cover the uneven part.

Edited by bepgof

Yup. The contractor should have advised accordingly and provided alternative eg false ceiling to level the ceiling ...

Frankly speaking, de Pierre is correct. Beside consealing the uneven portion, no one else on this earth can "rectify" this. Fundamentally, it is not the contractor's fault. What you can say to him is he, as experienced professional, failed to visualise this effect before construction & therefore failed to advise you according, cut $$$!

Cut $$$ is small issue, the bigger issue is you has to face this uneven structure everyday! Mood sure get disrupted ! Seriously think if feasible to extend the width some more to cover the uneven part.