Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Jam

Has Anyone Used Carpet For Their Stairs?

Dear all, my new home will have a stair that has a few bigger and triangular steps nearer to the landing.

That is a headache because we will either need to waste a full slab of marble for every triangular step, make to measure wood (which is about $200 per step and ++ for every triangular ones), or use parquet. Alternatively, I can use carpet which I guess and imagine to be fine.

However, I will love to hear from experienced home owners here on the side effect of carpets on stairs.

Your comment will be very appreciated.

Edited by Jam

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Dear all, my new home will have a stair that has a few bigger and triangular steps nearer to the landing.

That is a headache because we will either need to waste a full slab of marble for every triangular step, make to measure wood (which is about $200 per step and ++ for every triangular ones), or use parquet. Alternatively, I can use carpet which I guess and imagine to be fine.

However, I will love to hear from experienced home owners here on the side effect of carpets on stairs.

Very quickly smell. some stains difficult to remove.

- Experience tells me no carpet, no rug - collect dust, dust-mike, smell, liquid spill.....

- Last night just bought a german-made delphin vacuum cleaner from Delphin Singapore, cost me $3,400 for cleaning beds & air purifying.

- One thing good about carpet is its mobility, rollup & go! Mogonians use it for "camping" purposes.

- Putting carpet on steps in the expensive house show your character like "ka cham put tei", it is like a beautifully-dressed lady with million worth put on, wearing a pair of slipper, attending a night function.

A general reminder- reno is to show your character & knowledge, nothing else!

Edited by bepgof

are you carpetting your full flight of stairs or just those irregular steps? and if just those irregular steps, are you affixing your carpet to the stairs or they're just going to sit on top and be "moveable"? if they are moveable, sounds like it could be slippery should the carpet shift when stepped on; and if the edges curl up, can trip also. i've also encountered that if carpetted stairs are not fitted snugly to the corners of each step, sometimes it gets hard to approximate the edge of the step and also can give rise to tripping - a professional could probably tell you better how to do this properly. my growing up home had flights of stairs which i climbed everyday for 20+ years and yet i tripped and fell though i was familiar with the stairs and had no difficulty with walking - i think it pays to have safety in mind when deciding on stair decor. just my 2cents

- Experience tells me no carpet, no rug - collect dust, dust-mike, smell, liquid spill.....

- Last night just bought a german-made delphin vacuum cleaner from Delphin Singapore, cost me $3,400 for cleaning beds & air purifying.

- One thing good about carpet is its mobility, rollup & go! Mogonians use it for "camping" purposes.

- Putting carpet on steps in the expensive house show your character like "ka cham put tei", it is like a beautifully-dressed lady with million worth put on, wearing a pair of slipper, attending a night function.

A general reminder- reno is to show your character & knowledge, nothing else!

I have seen high class places putting carpets on the steps. However, I agree with you that maintenance will be an issue - dusk mite, collect dust, liquid spill, etc... problems.

Jam, you may want to re-consider parquet or re-install the staircase. I think triangular steps is a danger and people can trip and fall quite easily.

Hi all, thank you for all the feedback.

Hubby and I went down to a carpet place and took a look at the carpets. The designs are nice but only limiting to carpet runners and that means only the middle portion of my stairs ill be carpet-ed... Not quite right. Carpets that can cover the whole stairs are of office carpet material... hmmmm...

And Random_user, I exactly grew up falling and on the stairs that I climbed for 20 years and therefore thought, although carpet looks cheap, it can be real safe and break most falls.