Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sodan

If You Have 1.6m To Spend, To Choose Condo Or Landed?

Yup..

I would choose a landed anytime.

Unfortunately, my parents are more keen to having a unit with a view instead of facing the neighbours.

This cannot be found in most landed in singapore.

maybe you can try sembawang park? I think there are some landed over there....

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The last time i saw the landed housing there, they are 99 yrs leasehold. And it is really ulu ... very far in.

maybe you can try sembawang park? I think there are some landed over there....

The last time i saw the landed housing there, they are 99 yrs leasehold. And it is really ulu ... very far in.

One more thing: color of seawater there, always look dark brown, as if the whole area kena heavily poison.

Edited by bepgof

One more thing: color of seawater there, always look dark brown, as if the whole area kena heavily poison.

Yup.. been there before.. VERY VERY ULU..

I think even if you retire.. you still need to eat and get access to daily necessities ....

this sembawang park not very good.. somemore.. all the pollution coming in from the factories around sembawang and johor

Yup.. been there before.. VERY VERY ULU..

I think even if you retire.. you still need to eat and get access to daily necessities ....

this sembawang park not very good.. somemore.. all the pollution coming in from the factories around sembawang and johor

oops ... but i think that is one that has a chance of a view and closer to 1.6m... I must admit it is quite ulu... but thot ulu = quiet surroundings?

Upper Thomson area may have some facing the nature reserve... : ) at least not so ulu...

probably that is a trade off for landed (closer to 1.6m)? There are others also with a view...but 1.6m x 10 or 1.6m x 20, eg bukit timah near Jet Li's or Sentosa...

I think so long as not too 'cramp' like those joo chiat /Telok Kurau area should be quite alright bah?

I will dump 1.6 mil into applying for GLP IPO instead.

Companies now start "digging" into investors' pocket, "suck" $ from the market.

102,000,000 x $1.96 = 199.92 mils. If one house = 1 mil, this exercise alone can cause 200 houses unsold.

MBT smiling, developers/sellers crying. More IPOs to come, then follow by right issues....

Edited by bepgof

Dear all smart hunters, condo-owner and landed owner,

If you had 1.6m to spend, would you rather spend on CONDO or LANDED??

I'm curious to know answer to the question above. Condo price is shooting week by week and yet Landed price is still keeping low (around $400-$600psf++). I believe there are alot of non foreigner, ie LOCAL is buying condo at all time. I don't understand since the local have the choice to landed but why they show more interested in Condo instead? Hmm... is it juz fore investment purpose only?

Is just an open discussion ^____^

For me, condo or landed also can (for investment)

but it has to be Freehold!

ok, kinda relevant but also not very:

what do you do with the 1.6m in the meantime while deciding the property(s) to buy? i suppose need to protect the capital and keep it liquid for completing the sale in future, but if not yet identified a property to buy, would one try to get a nice roi on it or too risky? if it's a matter of time horizon, what are the suitable time horizons?

Edited by random_username

ok, kinda relevant but also not very:

what do you do with the 1.6m in the meantime while deciding the property(s) to buy? i suppose need to protect the capital and keep it liquid for completing the sale in future, but if not yet identified a property to buy, would one try to get a nice roi on it or too risky? if it's a matter of time horizon, what are the suitable time horizons?

Look like you got quite some amount of cash on hand, hesitating to "dump" into property and looking for high ROI chances to come(and go, haha). I think you need the most primitive way of decision making by tossing a coin. I did that, and will do again when come to 50% vs 50% situation.

Chinese saying: How can one catches the little tigers without entering the tiger's cave?Want ROI?, just "dump" money lah. No dump no come. Dump into IPOs also can, safer for those beginners in stock. Need stock broking acct/cdp acct/bank acct hor, not much time left, 18 Oct 2010 starts trade GLP. MIT is on the way, look like you'll miss the boat if don't have these accts.

Edited by bepgof

I'm curious to know answer to the question above. Condo price is shooting week by week and yet Landed price is still keeping low (around $400-$600psf++). I believe there are alot of non foreigner, ie LOCAL is buying condo at all time. I don't understand since the local have the choice to landed but why they show more interested in Condo instead? Hmm... is it juz fore investment purpose only?

\

One of the main reason why landed prices are not moving up as quickly is because it is very hard to find tenant (unless its GCB) and the rental yield is very lousy. One can only hope for captial appreciation if you buy landed (and thats only if you can buy a freehold/999LH one). For 1.6m, you can probablyget an old inter-terrace which might require another 100-200K to rebuilt. Personally I would stay away from old leasehold landed,

Actually, the reason for condo to be more popular now is because family nuclue in singapore generally smaller. Husband,wife and children. Children grow up and have their own family and stay in their own place. Landed is abit too big for such a such small family . Generally, the less educated grandparents and,thus, less wealthy, are not able to keep wealthier children under the same roof as they have different living standard. And wealthier children are less tolerant of their old ways. Given a choice, i dun think many ppl want to stay with their in-laws/parents, if they going to pay the bills.

However, this is beginning to change as these "wealthier" children gets older. They will now buy bigger house and keep their married children staying with them. Married children are more willing to stay with them since.. these "wealthier" ones are footing the bills or will be sharing what they have accumulated later with them.

My prediction in the next 10-20 yrs, landed or bigger house will be in higher demands.

Edited by Jgal

Actually, the reason for condo to be more popular now is because family nuclue in singapore generally smaller. Husband,wife and children. Children grow up and have their own family and stay in their own place. Landed is abit too big for such a such small family . Generally, the less educated grandparents and,thus, less wealthy, are not able to keep wealthier children under the same roof as they have different living standard. And wealthier children are less tolerant of their old ways. Given a choice, i dun think many ppl want to stay with their in-laws/parents, if they going to pay the bills.

However, this is beginning to change as these "wealthier" children gets older. They will now buy bigger house and keep their married children staying with them. Married children are more willing to stay with them since.. these "wealthier" ones are footing the bills or will be sharing what they have accumulated later with them.

My prediction in the next 10-20 yrs, landed or bigger house will be in higher demands.

This is so sad. Why do people believe that more money = more control over the children? Or wealthier parents = children will stay with parents?

I thought whether the three generations can live together "happily" depends on the character of all family members and their relationship?

If one day my kids stay with me just because I can foot the bills or they believe I will leave anything to them, I will feel that I am a complete failure in nurturing them all these years. I really hope that, rather than money, my next generation will inherit my Asian values like filial piety, family bonding, etc. Whether they stay with me or not is very trivial to me.

http://propertysoul.com

Edited by propertysoul

are you staying with your parents? or your in-laws? Are they in your plan for your future house ?

Sad to say, i spoken to a few of colleagues(40s,50s), when i told them that i plan to eventually stay with my in-laws when they gets older and need more help. They were very surprised. Personally, i thought that's the eventual but apparently most singaporean dont think so.

on the other hand, i see some newly weds (20s) staying with their parents after their marriage. And have the notion that the hdb is eventually going to be theirs.

Edited by Jgal

One of the main reason why landed prices are not moving up as quickly is because it is very hard to find tenant (unless its GCB) and the rental yield is very lousy. One can only hope for captial appreciation if you buy landed (and thats only if you can buy a freehold/999LH one). For 1.6m, you can probablyget an old inter-terrace which might require another 100-200K to rebuilt. Personally I would stay away from old leasehold landed,

that's a very helpful insight.

So if i've that 1.6m I'll just plonk it down on a freehold condo near the city, e.g., The Waterside, in cash

cos i'd prefer a debt-free life :)