Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sodan

If You Have 1.6m To Spend, To Choose Condo Or Landed?

To be a property investor, you need to own at least 2 properties. One for own stay and other for investment purpose. If you are suggesting that TS dump the entire 1.6m into a fully paid property (which cost about $5 to 6k of rental return) then TS will always remain as a home owner, not property investor.

It is a no brainer that the interest rate will eventually goes up because it is near bottom, however the more difficult question is to know how long is the interest rate is going to be down before it move up? If its going to be low for the next 2 years, are you going to continue seat by the fence doing nothing except talking abot interst will go up? Does that make you a smart investor? I honest doubt so.

I am not sure what is your meaning of true property investors. As far as I know, those who make most money in property and in the corporate world are those who know how to leverage.

people have been saying interest rates will go up, just a matter of time. no brainer? i dont think so. The truth is no one will know until it happens.

an investor, if highly leveraged is simply a speculator who has much to win/lose depends on how good his luck or acccurate his view is. Smart or not, we would bound to be wrong at times, so if the wrong decision is made once and wipes out the 10 previous correct views, then how?

i believe in slow and steady. Art of war "first be invicible, then seek victory"

people who make money in property by leveraging are those who commit suicide when things turn sour as well. win big lose big. people i know who lose alot of money in property are those who leverage alot as well.

so, what are the chances of making a wrong decision in a lifetime? I would say very high.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
people have been saying interest rates will go up, just a matter of time. no brainer? i dont think so. The truth is no one will know until it happens.

an investor, if highly leveraged is simply a speculator who has much to win/lose depends on how good his luck or acccurate his view is. Smart or not, we would bound to be wrong at times, so if the wrong decision is made once and wipes out the 10 previous correct views, then how?

i believe in slow and steady. Art of war "first be invicible, then seek victory"

people who make money in property by leveraging are those who commit suicide when things turn sour as well. win big lose big. people i know who lose alot of money in property are those who leverage alot as well.

so, what are the chances of making a wrong decision in a lifetime? I would say very high.

In you opinion, is taking 50% loan on property consider as highly leverage?

In you opinion, is taking 50% loan on property consider as highly leverage?

It is not 50% that matters, it is the "umbrella" that counts. Look at those gearing ratios...

In layman terms

1. Small head wear some hat.

2. Most successful millionaire like to wear small hats thought their heads are big.

3. Judge the size of one's head then wear the appropriate size of hat

4. Killing themselves are those with small heads, intended to wear big hats.

Slow & steady come with calm & peace (anyway money can never be enough), chiong fast also no wrong, but tendency to get "injury" is pretty high, cos too many uncertainties out in the mkt. Forecast is one thing, actual happening is another. Experience lies in between these 2.

Let work backward, generally, if one's pocket can "tahan" monthly instalment for total property investment for 24months without income, then it is quite alright. Other financial liabilities set aside (another amount)

Notes: Many youngsters can't manage their finance properly, many young ones defaulted credit card payments ended up being declared bankkruptcy. Out there, there are too many "temptations" - big & bueatifful house - "very class".

- Can tell from papers that young couplers keep complaining high price of house, yet they prefer spending $ on pets, car, instead of saving, Why?. Simply they don't believe in "small head wear small hat" principle.

Edited by bepgof

It is not 50% that matters, it is the "umbrella" that counts. Look at those gearing ratios...

In layman terms

1. Small head wear some hat.

2. Most successful millionaire like to wear small hats thought their heads are big.

3. Judge the size of one's head then wear the appropriate size of hat

4. Killing themselves are those with small heads, intended to wear big hats.

Slow & steady come with calm & peace (anyway money can never be enough), chiong fast also no wrong, but tendency to get "injury" is pretty high, cos too many uncertainties out in the mkt. Forecast is one thing, actual happening is another. Experience lies in between these 2.

Let work backward, generally, if one's pocket can "tahan" monthly instalment for total property investment for 24months without income, then it is quite alright. Other financial liabilities set aside (another amount)

Notes: Many youngsters can't manage their finance properly, many young ones defaulted credit card payments ended up being declared bankkruptcy. Out there, there are too many "temptations" - big & bueatifful house - "very class".

- Can tell from papers that young couplers keep complaining high price of house, yet they prefer spending $ on pets, car, instead of saving, Why?. Simply they don't believe in "small head wear small hat" principle.

1) You are assuming that TS is young or the only breadwinner in the entire household. Ever ask how a youngster could have $1.6m for property investment?

2) 24 months of sitting around and doing nothing? Why not make it to 48 months of the since it will make your arguement more credible?

3) On one hand your preach about being financial bruden etc, while at the same time, you are fliipping property with ONLY 20% downpayment on million dollar apartment. If you talk the talk, better walk the walk.

btw, if you want to talk abot your property portfolio, just talk abot those you currently holding, not point talking about those you flipped or sold. e.g 1 2 3 4 or whatever. Its ok to have a small head, not point trying to make it look big by wearing a big hat.

Ah tee or Ah muay, always remember this: cash is king. Pocket par par is important. Alway wear the small hat first, when head grow bigger, then consider get a bigger hat.

Since you're interested in my present pty portfolio, ok lah, I show hand first, remember to show your actual one hor, no paper talk.

1. HDB resale, 5rm, pt-blk, 32 yr, 1 km with mrt, #23, morning sun.

- bought in Aug 2009, val + cov= 518+10K = 528k. Completion 31/12/2009.

- Stamp fee at 10.44k, agent 5.28k, reno at 90k

- Outstanding loan as at now, $84k

- loan tenor 30yr (my age not allowed 30 yr, wife's age just fit)

- Now paying $333/per month, lockin ends 31 dec 2010.

Facts:

- House price = 528k+10.44k=$538.44k

- Downpayment = 538.44-84 = $454.44k

- Which is 454.44/538.44 = 84.4%

- "Very much higher" than yr 50%.

- My cpf OA alone, can last 72 instalments, without me working. Wife's not included.

- To be precise, if combine wife's OA, I can fully redeem the flat now!

- Why I don't do that ? I "kiasi", wait & see till lock in over (end 21 dec 2010)first.

2. F/H, 850sqf, top 2014 june, D15

- Signed OTP July 2010, signed S &P, signed loan at 802.4K

- Price at $1.003mil=$1003k

- paid 5% +15% = $200.6k (150k cash)

- paid stamp = $24.69k(cash)

Facts:

- I loan 80% of $1003k, 30yr, 1st cash disbursement of 10% of $1003k, will be sometime in March 2011, when foundation work completes.

- I've 160k cash in stock, already grown to 180k as at now, purely as "umberalla" for this F/H.

-30yr, 1.5%, monthly payment = $2769.24 (this amount provided the whole loan is disbursed, which will be in 2004 June.)

- 180k/2769.24 = 65 months.

- Even now if I have no income now , the "urmbrella" is able to last me 65 months for this F/H.

- Remember that the HDB, I can do a full redeemption at end of 2010. Initial plan was to engage lawyer at en Sept 2010, to write to bank to give 3 month notice. Later change plan, just lock-in over first, then look for lawyer to make full redeemption.

- I don't intend to hold this pty for long (quite small)

I'm more "kiasi" type, prefer to wear small hat first, with big umbrella, hor. Your turn now.

Edited by bepgof

relax guys, there is no right no wrong - everybody's circumstances is different, so their basis for decision making will be different also...

can argue until cow come home, but in the end, if you buy low sell high, you are correct, (and buy high sell low, then you are wrong) but nobody knows the future, so it is anyone's guess...

for me, if i have 1.6m, i'll take one year off work, and do the things i like (or i think i like) ;)

relax guys, there is no right no wrong - everybody's circumstances is different, so their basis for decision making will be different also...

can argue until cow come home, but in the end, if you buy low sell high, you are correct, (and buy high sell low, then you are wrong) but nobody knows the future, so it is anyone's guess...

for me, if i have 1.6m, i'll take one year off work, and do the things i like (or i think i like) ;)

Yes. Agreed with Dreamhouse... i sensed a bit of tension from the posts too... hope i am wrong..

1) You are assuming that TS is young or the only breadwinner in the entire household. Ever ask how a youngster could have $1.6m for property investment?

2) 24 months of sitting around and doing nothing? Why not make it to 48 months of the since it will make your arguement more credible?

3) On one hand your preach about being financial bruden etc, while at the same time, you are fliipping property with ONLY 20% downpayment on million dollar apartment. If you talk the talk, better walk the walk.

btw, if you want to talk abot your property portfolio, just talk abot those you currently holding, not point talking about those you flipped or sold. e.g 1 2 3 4 or whatever. Its ok to have a small head, not point trying to make it look big by wearing a big hat.

I think everyone has they own way of making their investment according to their risk appetite and experience.

I know salaried individual that bought a few properties in 1997 and run up big debts.. in the end need to borrow hundreds thousands else will be declared bankrupt.

Do you know that selling pte properties is different from hdb? the listing time generally may take longer. In 2000-2005, there were developer units still on sale after the development has top for a few years. Meaning that, if you want to sell away, you probably need to sell @20-30% lose. The only way you can cash out fast is auction.. which potentially make you lose 50% of the value.

Aniway, what happen then may not happen now.. And our friend is just sharing his successful story and valuable views..

You will be silly to take the advise here.. word for word and not adjust to your situation.

Aniway.. i dun think you can get any landed at $1.6mil now.. and 800k condos cant really get good rental yield now.

Edited by Jgal

Ah tee or Ah muay, always remember this: cash is king. Pocket par par is important. Alway wear the small hat first, when head grow bigger, then consider get a bigger hat.

Since you're interested in my present pty portfolio, ok lah, I show hand first, remember to show your actual one hor, no paper talk.

1. HDB resale, 5rm, pt-blk, 32 yr, 1 km with mrt, #23, morning sun.

- bought in Aug 2009, val + cov= 518+10K = 528k. Completion 31/12/2009.

- Stamp fee at 10.44k, agent 5.28k, reno at 90k

- Outstanding loan as at now, $84k

- loan tenor 30yr (my age not allowed 30 yr, wife's age just fit)

- Now paying $333/per month, lockin ends 31 dec 2010.

Facts:

- House price = 528k+10.44k=$538.44k

- Downpayment = 538.44-84 = $454.44k

- Which is 454.44/538.44 = 84.4%

- "Very much higher" than yr 50%.

- My cpf OA alone, can last 72 instalments, without me working. Wife's not included.

- To be precise, if combine wife's OA, I can fully redeem the flat now!

- Why I don't do that ? I "kiasi", wait & see till lock in over (end 21 dec 2010)first.

2. F/H, 850sqf, top 2014 june, D15

- Signed OTP July 2010, signed S &P, signed loan at 802.4K

- Price at $1.003mil=$1003k

- paid 5% +15% = $200.6k (150k cash)

- paid stamp = $24.69k(cash)

Facts:

- I loan 80% of $1003k, 30yr, 1st cash disbursement of 10% of $1003k, will be sometime in March 2011, when foundation work completes.

- I've 160k cash in stock, already grown to 180k as at now, purely as "umberalla" for this F/H.

-30yr, 1.5%, monthly payment = $2769.24 (this amount provided the whole loan is disbursed, which will be in 2004 June.)

- 180k/2769.24 = 65 months.

- Even now if I have no income now , the "urmbrella" is able to last me 65 months for this F/H.

- Remember that the HDB, I can do a full redeemption at end of 2010. Initial plan was to engage lawyer at en Sept 2010, to write to bank to give 3 month notice. Later change plan, just lock-in over first, then look for lawyer to make full redeemption.

- I don't intend to hold this pty for long (quite small)

I'm more "kiasi" type, prefer to wear small hat first, with big umbrella, hor. Your turn now.

1) Based on the what you said above, your loan to property value gearing ratio for your combined property is 58%, which is about 8% higher than what I have proposed. Can tell us why is your investment better?

Eg.

Total Property value : $518,000 + $1,003,000 = $1,521,000

Outstanding loan : $84,000 + $802,400 = $886,400

(No banks will value your COV or stamp fee)

Comparing to the portfolio I suggest, I would actually think that you are in worst state because

a) Your 2nd property is a mickey mouse unit, which make it almost impossible for a 5rm HDB household like yourself to utilize, if assuming the rental returns fall below your mortgage repayment or you cant find tenant.

b) TOP date of your property is still about 3 years away, which mean from now till then, you will not be able to generate any rental return from your property. Which also mean, you are having negative cash flow position.

c) Your HDB is already 32years, give it another 10 years or so, your property is likely to suffer a huge drop in its value due to its age.

2) Not sure why you even bother to talk about your CPF OA saving of 72 x $333 = $23,976 because that is irrelevant to the real world.

a) Even if your CPF OA can afford to pay 72 months of $333 installment, or your cash can support 65months of your 2nd property. can you and your family survive without salary for 65 or 72months? no food?, no bills?, no other financial committment? no maintenance fee? no tax? no medical bills? no cars? no insurance? etc etc

b) Your stock portfolio of $180,000 might sound alot if you dont have any financial obligation in your 2nd property. Once your property TOP, you will easily be spending half of it for reno. I pesume you will have to liquidate your stock position by then? that is if the stock and property market dont crash by then or else you might have to take a double whammy.

3) Without even asking about TS fianancial position etc. why are you assuming that you are better off then him/she or everyone else?

ie. you have more CPF is your OA, you have more cash saving etc..typical singapore kiasu or sour grape mentally??

You might want to relook into the size of your umberalla, as they might not be as big as what you think. Also if you dont haev any knowledge about financial background of TS, please dont simply make up silly assumption just to make your investment portfolio look good and "save"

1) Based on the what you said above, your loan to property value gearing ratio for your combined property is 58%, which is about 8% higher than what I have proposed. Can tell us why is your investment better?

Eg.

Comparing to the portfolio I suggest, I would actually think that you are in worst state because

a) Your 2nd property is a mickey mouse unit, which make it almost impossible for a 5rm HDB household like yourself to utilize, if assuming the rental returns fall below your mortgage repayment or you cant find tenant.

b) TOP date of your property is still about 3 years away, which mean from now till then, you will not be able to generate any rental return from your property. Which also mean, you are having negative cash flow position.

c) Your HDB is already 32years, give it another 10 years or so, your property is likely to suffer a huge drop in its value due to its age.

2) Not sure why you even bother to talk about your CPF OA saving of 72 x $333 = $23,976 because that is irrelevant to the real world.

a) Even if your CPF OA can afford to pay 72 months of $333 installment, or your cash can support 65months of your 2nd property. can you and your family survive without salary for 65 or 72months? no food?, no bills?, no other financial committment? no maintenance fee? no tax? no medical bills? no cars? no insurance? etc etc

b) Your stock portfolio of $180,000 might sound alot if you dont have any financial obligation in your 2nd property. Once your property TOP, you will easily be spending half of it for reno. I pesume you will have to liquidate your stock position by then? that is if the stock and property market dont crash by then or else you might have to take a double whammy.

3) Without even asking about TS fianancial position etc. why are you assuming that you are better off then him/she or everyone else?

ie. you have more CPF is your OA, you have more cash saving etc..typical singapore kiasu or sour grape mentally??

You might want to relook into the size of your umberalla, as they might not be as big as what you think. Also if you dont haev any knowledge about financial background of TS, please dont simply make up silly assumption just to make your investment portfolio look good and "save"

Sound like you have a point.. but do you have the $$ ? and could you find $800k x 2 units that give good rental now ?

Frankly $800k will get you only <600 sf units at not excellence but good enuff for rental.

You can talk until the cow come home.. and still dun have the 1.6mil that you are talking abt..

But ... our friend is showing you what he has done with his REAL $$ and real property ... not forgetting he is really staying in 1 . All the plans you have does not include the real cost in purchasing pty. e.g. stamp fee / legal fee / agent fee / property tax / maintenance fee/reno and time required to setup. The renovation for 3 units, bare min will require 40k.

Edited by Jgal

Sound like you have a point.. but do you have the $$ ? and could you find $800k x 2 units that give good rental now ?

Frankly $800k will get you only <600 sf units at not excellence but good enuff for rental.

You can talk until the cow come home.. and still dun have the 1.6mil that you are talking abt..

But ... our friend is showing you what he has done with his REAL $$ and real property ... not forgetting he is really staying in 1 . All the plans you have does not include the real cost in purchasing pty. e.g. stamp fee / legal fee / agent fee / property tax / maintenance fee/reno and time required to setup. The renovation for 3 units, bare min will require 40k.

1) This is not a thread about who has and who doesnt, its a thread about what are the possible property investment options with $1.6m

2) The best residential rental yield you can find in Singapore is probably HDB, then follow by suburban leasehold property which are about 6 to 10 years old. If you want to know what $800,000 can get you in Singapore, do a search on Propertyguru with max $900K price and min 1000 sqft

3) Nobody is interested to know what he does with his money, we are only interested to discuss about what TS could do with $1.6m.

4) I dont see there is any need to talk about all that fee and cost, because those are standard expenses and cost which applies to all property purchase. However if you wish to assume that TS ONLY has $1.6m and nothing more, then take 55% loan instead of 50%. Thats not going to make a good investment become bad or bad investment become better

1) This is not a thread about who has and who doesnt, its a thread about what are the possible property investment options with $1.6m

2) The best residential rental yield you can find in Singapore is probably HDB, then follow by suburban leasehold property which are about 6 to 10 years old. If you want to know what $800,000 can get you in Singapore, do a search on Propertyguru with max $900K price and min 1000 sqft

3) Nobody is interested to know what he does with his money, we are only interested to discuss about what TS could do with $1.6m.

4) I dont see there is any need to talk about all that fee and cost, because those are standard expenses and cost which applies to all property purchase. However if you wish to assume that TS ONLY has $1.6m and nothing more, then take 55% loan instead of 50%. Thats not going to make a good investment become bad or bad investment become better

For one, i would be. Reason: real life case vs ur theoretical paper talk.

He walks the talk. From what i see, he is sufficiently covered. 20% downpayment as cover for any drop in property value and has spare cash/stocks on hand. Also, he has a hdb for family, provide shelter for his family no matter what happens to him.

Covered more than enough areas financially already. I realised he did not mention savings, which could be another safety buffer.

Aiyo, you come out again, i though yor're supposed to "show hand", still paper-talking abt the 1.6mil?

1. I anytime can clear the 84k, but will kena penalty thus hold me back.

I can "inject" additional 180k cash anytime into the F/H. But developer has to follow the rule of game of progressive payment mode. The ground not even cleared, now. If clear 84K+180K = 264K, total loan will be 886.4k-264k = 622.4k, &

loan/property gearing ratio would be at 40.9%. Win you liao (paper talk only)

Further more, which property buyers in singapore need not to pay stamp duty, brokage fee & legal fee? Ah kong also need to pay! Not to mention you.

Like that, you can use only abt 1.5mil to buy 3 properties le.

a. I've told you, my head very small, can afford only mickey mouse, if get a big big penhouse then difficult to sell later, how? Cry huh? Or you want to buy from me?

b. If I were to get rental yield quick, I would have chiong and get a resale apartment much ealier on liao. Why I didn't? Why I chiong and got a VVIP price? You can make a guess. But no present for right answer hor.

c. Initially (before buying)I also "concerned" about the pty age, told wife, she replied: pass down to children and let government to worry. I paid booking and exercised otp on the same day of viewing.

2. CPF OA is not money and not "real"? Just want to show u "how big" is my umbrella.

a. Didn't I mention the 180K is "purely" for the little mickey mouse f/h? I've separate accounts for other financial liabilities, i've a few sets of umbrellas, thanks for your concerns.

b. My stock portfolio here, otherwise, you might say I bull s h i t. My highest record, so far, was abt 400k in stk mkt.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9873/stockholding.jpg

3. Never be my intention that I'm better off than him/her or everybody. You are the one asked me to show hand, so forgetful? My only intended message to the forumers are:

- Small head wears small hat

- Cash is king

- Pocket par par is important

- Have umbrella as big as you can

That's all.

Never be my intention to show off, just to share. The 72 months & 65 months are my umbrellas for the 2 properties for the time being, may get bigger from time to time. Your 3 properties investment concept is not too bad an idea, just that, you did not include in the stamp duty/brokage/legal costs, etc and "umbrellas" that cautious me to write this.

Eg.

Edited by bepgof

Aiyo, you come out again, i though yor're supposed to "show hand", still paper-talking abt the 1.6mil?

1. I anytime can clear the 84k, but will kena penalty thus hold me back.

I can "inject" additional 180k cash anytime into the F/H. But developer has to follow the rule of game of progressive payment mode. The ground not even cleared, now. If clear 84K+180K = 264K, total loan will be 886.4k-264k = 622.4k, &

loan/property gearing ratio would be at 40.9%. Win you liao (paper talk only)

Further more, which property buyers in singapore need not to pay stamp duty, brokage fee & legal fee? Ah kong also need to pay! Not to mention you.

Like that, you can use only abt 1.5mil to buy 3 properties le.

a. I've told you, my head very small, can afford only mickey mouse, if get a big big penhouse then difficult to sell later, how? Cry huh? Or you want to buy from me?

b. If I were to get rental yield quick, I would have chiong and get a resale apartment much ealier on liao. Why I didn't? Why I chiong and got a VVIP price? You can make a guess. But no present for right answer hor.

c. Initially (before buying)I also "concerned" about the pty age, told wife, she replied: pass down to children and let givernment to worry. I paid booking and exercised otp on the same day of viewing.

2. CPF OA is not money and not "real"? Just want to show u "how big" is my umbrella.

a. Didn't I mention the 180K is "purely" for the little mickey mouse f/h? I've separate accounts for other financial liabilities, i've a few sets of umbrellas, thanks for your concerns.

b. My stock portfolio here, otherwise, you might say I bull s h i t. My highest record, so far, was abt 400k in stk mkt.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9873/stockholding.jpg

3. Never be my intention that I'm better off than him/her or everybody. You are the one asked me to show hand, so forgetful? My only intended message to the forumers are:

- Small head wears small hat

- Cash is king

- Pocket par par is important

- Have umbrella as big as you can

That's all.

Never be my intention to show off, just to share. The 72 months & 65 months are my umbrellas for the 2 properties for the time being, may get bigger from time to time. Your 3 properties investment concept is not too bad an idea, just that, you did not include in the stamp duty/brokage/legal costs, etc and "umbrellas" that cautious me to write this.

I think you are showing off way more than what I have asked for. I am just merely asking IF you have $1.6m, how would you invest in property. not asking how much you have in you CPF, what is your monthly installment and saving etc. Somehow I just have the feeling that you are taking all the opportunities you can find to "show off" whatever you have. Yes, your head is indeed very small, but please dont like to talk until its double or triple big. e.g property 1 2 3 4, and even throwing in the COV and Stamp Fee to inflat your property value?? Cash is indeed king , however keep too much cash in this inflationary economy is not a great idea either.

Btw, I am still waiting for your explaination on how your investment portfolio (a 800+sqft with only 20% downpayment) is better that the one I proposed IF you have $1.6m

Edited by Husky

cool down, guys.

Everyone has their own way of express themselves.

Don't get to heat up.

For me, if I had 1.6M.

I think I will drawn the money out and put at home and count.

Count until 1 day I sian liao. :D

I will put back into the Bank.

Then start my tour around the world.