Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yuene

Haus Of Yuene

Okay, here goes (AGAIN!)

A little background info:

I originally intended to start my renovations in April this year, and had already planned everything out nicely (those who read the old blog will know I planned this for over 1.5 years, and had my first quotation in December last year). I even got a few quotations, including one from a certain contractor that seemed rather competitive price-wise. I was actually on the verge of making my choice and proceeding with the reno as planned.

Somewhere along the way, though, my plans got derailed by a rather strange request from an ex-colleague of mine: her husband had employed an intern, and the person needed a room to rent. So I ended up agreeing, and the intern has been renting my room for the past 4 months or so. It's been good fun, and a sort-of cross cultural exchange since she's from the US. In the intervening months, due to this and also a change in job scope that got me busy, I stopped frequenting Renotalk and keeping up with the latest. But it's been 4 months and our friend will be leaving in about 1 month's time.

And so... in May I decided to pick up where I left off. On hindsight, the long pause in between the time we got the first quotation and the time we finally settled on our contractor was a blessing-in-disguise, as it helped to weed out the bad from the good. Although I had been quite adamant to go with one that I'd found on this forum (A), I'd been tempted to go with the competitively-priced one (B) instead as it seemed to give more bang for our buck. My gut feel told me to hold off confirmation first. But by April when I re-visited the forum, that contractor (B) had 'turned rogue', as it were. I guess we had a pretty close shave.

So in May, I re-contacted (A) and asked him to do a re-quote based on current prices. A couple of emails ding-donging, a second site visit and a final visit to (A)'s office later, our reno journey is finally kicking off!

I'll post up pictures of my house along the way, though this week will be quite quiet since work is in full-swing.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Ossify: Haha... yeah I guess so...

Samgalz: Thanks! Hopefully I will have the 3-Ds to put up soon!

wj888: No point naming B. I'll name my contractor in time to come.

hey yuene, good to finally see your re-opened blog! and like ossify said, congrats on not choosing B! you must have really heaved a huge sigh of relief.

anyway, interested to see your plans for your place. where is it anyway, and how big is it?

hey yuene, good to finally see your re-opened blog! and like ossify said, congrats on not choosing B! you must have really heaved a huge sigh of relief.

anyway, interested to see your plans for your place. where is it anyway, and how big is it?

Hi lilithfiend, yes, I did heave a sigh of relief (somewhat!), though in my mind I could hear my gut feel mumbling "told you so...at least this time you listened" (must understand; I usually ignore my gut feel and then end up regretting). My place is in Clementi, along the MRT tracks, and it's about 80sq m in size (3.5 room flat)

Hi lilithfiend, yes, I did heave a sigh of relief (somewhat!), though in my mind I could hear my gut feel mumbling "told you so...at least this time you listened" (must understand; I usually ignore my gut feel and then end up regretting). My place is in Clementi, along the MRT tracks, and it's about 80sq m in size (3.5 room flat)

ahhh another 3 roomer. yours is a corner unit? clementi..that's the same area as baby & gimz..!

ohh those 3 and a half rooms. i quite like those, but did not find any suitable ones (meaning price too high :P)

i think i also email the contractor which you did not engage! haha...truly blessing in disguise.

have fun in reno! :)

ohh those 3 and a half rooms. i quite like those, but did not find any suitable ones (meaning price too high :P)

i think i also email the contractor which you did not engage! haha...truly blessing in disguise.

have fun in reno! :)

i think most of us did email contractor B....including me....but me also got a nagging doubt abt him so in the end also gave up when he din reply....good lah...

Samgalz: Ya, I too had some doubts even when I asked him to quote because of his 'brother'... oh well! And 3Ds should be on their way soon. He emailed me yesterday to confirm about my cupboards so that he could prepare them for me. ;)

lilithfiend: yep, it's a 3-room (corner--well, okay, it's an end of the corridor unit but not end of the building).

gimz: Heh, I bought this place about almost 4 years ago... even then the price was already going up! And I couldn't understand why my husband kept bugging me to buy at that point (I was still studying at that time). Then again, I'm not a very market-savvy sort. Which part of Clementi are you at? I'm at avenue 2 (which should tell you approximately which block I'm at too)

Samgalz: Ya, I too had some doubts even when I asked him to quote because of his 'brother'... oh well! And 3Ds should be on their way soon. He emailed me yesterday to confirm about my cupboards so that he could prepare them for me. ;)

ooohhh, can't wait~! ;)

Okay, here goes (AGAIN!)

A little background info:

I'll post up pictures of my house along the way, though this week will be quite quiet since work is in full-swing.

Loved your blog! Though I can't relate to it, I was nevertheless tickled by how outrageously amusing it was. Looking forward to your RT progress - I'll bet it'll be just as entertaining :D

Really good luck for not engaging (B). And I believe, the luck will continue all the way and your hse will be swee swee, your future will be swee swee and your life will also be swee swee :D .