Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wind30

Toilet Wall Tile Grout Change Color

my newly done toilet wall tile grout is originally white. And now it is starting to change color into brown even though the toilet is UNUSED. The contractor say every toilet he done is like that. grout will confirm change color, nothing he can do. is it true?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

They wall actually breathe through the grout lines. Meaning moisture will pass through these lines. Thats why, some ppl recommend using grout sealer.

But I think grout sealer is bad, cos your tiles cannot breathe.

Thats why some tiles pop up....

This is only my opinion. I am no expert.

oh gosh.. my new toilet is white too.. then how to prevent the grout from changing color? *worried*

on the bright side, it is easily fixable.... My tiler can scrap of some of the grout and put back new ones.... but it is a hassle.....

I read about grout sealer too... I don't think my grout is sealed. At least it feels different from my marble floor grout which is smooth.

" scrap of some of the grout and put back new ones " Thats one way.

Another way, I bought Leifheit grout paint. It comes in a bottle with a tiny roller.

Just roll over the grout line. But problem is when the GL spacing too small, roller cannot fit in.

By the way, painting also don't last long. Discolour pretty fast. So, regrouting still better.

Just make sure surface clean and dry. Also allow it to dry after regrout.

on the bright side, it is easily fixable.... My tiler can scrap of some of the grout and put back new ones.... but it is a hassle.....

I read about grout sealer too... I don't think my grout is sealed. At least it feels different from my marble floor grout which is smooth.

To be practical, choose tiles at tiolets & Kitchen that match grout lines with BLACK color. Don't use clear or white silicon in tiolet, over time, silicon will turn into "black".

White grout lines at these places initially look bright & nice. After sometime......now you're experiencing...haha. I learnt this lesson many years ago lah.

Edited by bepgof

I used to have this "New house syndrome", everthing also want to maintain swee swee.

After a while, haizz... tired liao...something can close one eye... ;)

Grout lines are easy, the no solution one is the silicon on the shower screen.

Manage to use the gray ones only, got black one or not ?

Mould seems to grow from the inside. Now I just bleach em once a month.

Spray them overnight, brush and flush clean the next day.

" scrap of some of the grout and put back new ones " Thats one way.

Another way, I bought Leifheit grout paint. It comes in a bottle with a tiny roller.

Just roll over the grout line. But problem is when the GL spacing too small, roller cannot fit in.

By the way, painting also don't last long. Discolour pretty fast. So, regrouting still better.

Just make sure surface clean and dry. Also allow it to dry after regrout.

this grout paint how much? issit very big? can find in places like homefix? thanks. :dancingqueen:

this grout paint how much? issit very big? can find in places like homefix? thanks. :dancingqueen:

Like $12, homefix sell them, like I say, not useful if grout line too small, roller cannot go in.

If lines too big, must roll a few times, recomended only for small areas.

Hi

Just wondering if it is possible to set the tiles so close there is hardly any grout lines?

then no grouting problem no?

Hi

Just wondering if it is possible to set the tiles so close there is hardly any grout lines?

Impossible ! min can go 1/16inch.

Like I say, they need to breathe and moisture need to escape for expansion and contraction.

Hi

then you will face another issue.

Popping tiles.