Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Mankul

Not Sure How To Install Blum System (aventos, Tandem, Servo-drives)

Hi,

I went to the Blum showroom twice already. One on our own and the 2nd visit with our carpenter.

The lady there kept insisting and advicing us that it is our right to request a Blum certified carpenter and if our carpenter is not certified, to get him to go for the FREE two day course. We believe she is sincerely advicing us since she is not gaining anything anything from this.

I plan to install some cabinet doors with blum hinges with blumotion, aventos HF, tandem boxes and servo drives.

I have several questions bugging me the past few days.

1) Installation:

I looked at the Blum videos on youtube and look at the installation videos and manuals and concluded that for Blum installation, you have to pay particular attention to allowances, dimensions, hinge ratings for the hinges and also the lifting machanism of the aventos system.

Would I be making a risk if I let my uncertified Blum carpenter to install them as he may not be aware of the measurements required specific to Blum? He has never installed a Blum system before but looks very confident in doing so. Some people may appear and look confident but when the finish products are done, may encounter complications later.

My wife is quite concerned about this as we are paying top dollar for the Blum system, so we hope that the end product is good.

We do not want to face a situation where, e.g. a drawer cabinet is installed, the blum system is installed, and upon testing, the effect is there, but there is a slight 'tock' sound when the drawer closes in, which the carpenter may brush is aside remarking that the sound is not very loud. In the Blum showroom, there is no sound at all when the drawer closes in. .... Nitty gritty detailed things like this...

2) Tandem boxes:

Is there any difference if my carpenter just cut out a drawer and install the Blum railings on the drawer and cabinet, as compared to the tandem drawer box set from Blum? Are there specific measurements to take note of in installing Blum railings as compared to other railings? Is the installation procedure generic? I'm wondering what an uncertified Blum carpenter would not know as compared to a Blum certified carpenter would, in installing a drawer.

3) Prices:

I've got the softcopy of the Blum products but it did not show the seperate pricing for the drawer railings. Instead, they qoute the tandem boxes as a drawer unit. Does this mean seperate railings are no longer available?

I search in the forum that most of users here buy the Blum hinges, railing themselves, but Blum has many part numbers even for hinges. How would I be sure which ones to buy if I go to Kiang Sing Hong hardware Supplies(KSHHS), for example? I have not been to KSHHS before. Do they also sell the Aventos HF and the Servo System?

4) Servo Sytem:

I watched the servo installation procedures on Youtube and find it to be straight forward and easy. The Blum showroom lady said that she will not sell the servos to uncertified carpenters due to many complains of past customers on the system.

My ID knew of a carpenter with the Blum carpenter card and he intends to get this guy to buy the Blum products and pass these to my first carpenter! I don't know whether this is a wise move. Of course my ID would say that my first carpenter is 'very experienced' but to me, he is not experienced at installing Blum products!

We don't want to make our ID's job difficult, just want the Blum system to be installed correctly.

My first carpenter seems to be interested in only taking measurements to cut the kitchen cabinet panels, casting aside that the blum installation and servo system is a matter that we can deal later.

I was thinking whether in in designing cabinet panels (measuring and cutting) prior to installing any Blum system (cabinet doors, aventos HF, drawers), whether specific allowances and measurements have to be taken..... or are these panel measurements generic to any kitchen panels that are known to every carpenter?

Just trying to preamp any problems that may arise later on during the Blum installation stage....

the lady told us that within the pass 1 year, about 20 customers came back to her complaining about blum system....

5) $2k extra set aside for Blum enough for 3 aventos HF (no servo drive), 3 column of drawer sets (all servo driven) and probably about 8 door hingers with Blumotion ?

Thanks for hearing us out....

Edited by Mankul

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

I went to the Blum showroom twice already. One on our own and the 2nd visit with our carpenter.

The lady there kept insisting and advicing us that it is our right to request a Blum certified carpenter and if our carpenter is not certified, to get him to go for the FREE two day course. We believe she is sincerely advicing us since she is not gaining anything anything from this.

I plan to install some cabinet doors with blum hinges with blumotion, aventos HF, tandem boxes and servo drives.

I have several questions bugging me the past few days.

1) Installation:

I looked at the Blum videos on youtube and look at the installation videos and manuals and concluded that for Blum installation, you have to pay particular attention to allowances, dimensions, hinge ratings for the hinges and also the lifting machanism of the aventos system.

Would I be making a risk if I let my uncertified Blum carpenter to install them as he may not be aware of the measurements required specific to Blum? He has never installed a Blum system before but looks very confident in doing so. Some people may appear and look confident but when the finish products are done, may encounter complications later.

My wife is quite concerned about this as we are paying top dollar for the Blum system, so we hope that the end product is good.

We do not want to face a situation where, e.g. a drawer cabinet is installed, the blum system is installed, and upon testing, the effect is there, but there is a slight 'tock' sound when the drawer closes in, which the carpenter may brush is aside remarking that the sound is not very loud. In the Blum showroom, there is no sound at all when the drawer closes in. .... Nitty gritty detailed things like this...

2) Tandem boxes:

Is there any difference if my carpenter just cut out a drawer and install the Blum railings on the drawer and cabinet, as compared to the tandem drawer box set from Blum? Are there specific measurements to take note of in installing Blum railings as compared to other railings? Is the installation procedure generic? I'm wondering what an uncertified Blum carpenter would not know as compared to a Blum certified carpenter would, in installing a drawer.

3) Prices:

I've got the softcopy of the Blum products but it did not show the seperate pricing for the drawer railings. Instead, they qoute the tandem boxes as a drawer unit. Does this mean seperate railings are no longer available?

I search in the forum that most of users here buy the Blum hinges, railing themselves, but Blum has many part numbers even for hinges. How would I be sure which ones to buy if I go to Kiang Sing Hong hardware Supplies(KSHHS), for example? I have not been to KSHHS before. Do they also sell the Aventos HF and the Servo System?

4) Servo Sytem:

I watched the servo installation procedures on Youtube and find it to be straight forward and easy. The Blum showroom lady said that she will not sell the servos to uncertified carpenters due to many complains of past customers on the system.

My ID knew of a carpenter with the Blum carpenter card and he intends to get this guy to buy the Blum products and pass these to my first carpenter! I don't know whether this is a wise move. Of course my ID would say that my first carpenter is 'very experienced' but to me, he is not experienced at installing Blum products!

We don't want to make our ID's job difficult, just want the Blum system to be installed correctly.

My first carpenter seems to be interested in only taking measurements to cut the kitchen cabinet panels, casting aside that the blum installation and servo system is a matter that we can deal later.

I was thinking whether in in designing cabinet panels (measuring and cutting) prior to installing any Blum system (cabinet doors, aventos HF, drawers), whether specific allowances and measurements have to be taken..... or are these panel measurements generic to any kitchen panels that are known to every carpenter?

Just trying to preamp any problems that may arise later on during the Blum installation stage....

5) $2k extra set aside for Blum enough for 3 aventos HF (no servo drive), 3 column of drawer sets (all servo driven) and probably about 8 door hingers with Blumotion ?

Thanks for hearing us out....

Hi

I am also installing Blum hinges and aventos systems and my comments:

1) I don't see the complexity. It is just a hinge with added dampers and I am sure lots of carpenter can do

2) I believe many of them install some form of anti slam mechanism before. Blum is just another type

3) I have spoken to my carpenters before and they mention they have encounter some issues before with aventos and Blum send their ppl down to help so I guess it is ok

4) I feel some carpenters have little education or knowledge but they are very good with hands on. They don't understand specs, English etc but they can still do a good job mounting things properly. This one I really respect them

Hi,

i went to Blum showroom a couple of months back too. and spoke to a sales guy on the servo drive. he told me the servo drive will cost 1.5k for about 10 drawers. i ask him does it include the drawers, he said no wor. but we didn't go for servo in the end. cos my galley kitchen rather small. i worry i will keep bumping into the drawers and they will keep opening. might be a hassel rather than a convenience lor.

you can ask for blum to send you the price list wor... they have hardcopies which you can get in their showroom too.

oh, and with regards to the certified blum installers. i suggest it's better you go for the certified ones. because i have a friend who installed aventos and it's not working properly. she didn't tell me if the carpenters are certified or not though.

actually hinges and aventos might be easy to install. but you have servo, which i feel might need a more blum experienced carpenter.

oh, and with regards to the certified blum installers. i suggest it's better you go for the certified ones. because i have a friend who installed aventos and it's not working properly. she didn't tell me if the carpenters are certified or not though.

actually hinges and aventos might be easy to install. but you have servo, which i feel might need a more blum experienced carpenter.

Yes I agreed, if already invested 1.5K on the servo system, better get a pro to do it if not if have problem later, you are not enjoying on the 1.5k that you have invested.

Also, as Servo system is not common, I think better to get a certified AND experienced person

(i.e. have actually install such system before) to do it proper to avoid any learning curve at your expenses.

You have to insist nicely, do not trust the your ID too much .... at the end it is you who will be living in NOT your ID.

My carpenters have not seen nor installed a blum runner before.... but from experience, it's sup sup sui for them.

For the servo system - that one I am not sure.

i'm installing a blum pull up system for my dish rack door and my ID had to go attend some course before the installation.

Is it possible that to install Blum for my kitchen cabinets but they are already done up? Are there any special measurements or allowance needed?

Is it possible that to install Blum for my kitchen cabinets but they are already done up? Are there any special measurements or allowance needed?

i think for normal hinges (not drawer systems) its just a addon to the existing hinges. so can be done anytime

Yes, there are. Some hinge have different measurement for the cut out hole to insert the hinge joint inside (even the screw-in position may be different too). Better for the carpenter to explain it to u as the type of hinges they used, is it still suitable to change to a Blum hinges not.

i'm installing a blum pull up system for my dish rack door and my ID had to go attend some course before the installation.

Don't think your ID need to attend their course, rather than the carpenter need to attend the course. If the system is installed wrongly, by just adjusting the position itself, u will see lots of holes.

Edited by jaskel

Don't think your ID need to attend their course, rather than the carpenter need to attend the course. If the system is installed wrongly, by just adjusting the position itself, u will see lots of holes.

makes sense. but apparently, she did attend the course. no idea whether the carpenter is with her tho

Does anyone have any BLUM-certified carpenter to recommend?

We need to replace the kitchen dish rack frosted glass door because the hinge is spoilt, and are looking to install the BLUM Aventos system.

I have contacted the BLUM office for their list of certified carpenters, but didn't get a response.

If anyone could provide any contact who would be willing to do just the replacement and installation, it would be great.