Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DavFong

Item Missing During Renovation

DavFong,

Have you tried lodging this case with the Small Claims Tribunal?

For claims up to $10k, you can get the small claims court to enforce the payout from the ID.

If it's the police that's not doing the job then having a notice from Small Claims will probably speed up the investigation.

Don't let the ID get away with this although I have to agree with others here that you're a little careless.

All the best!

I had lode the issue with CASE (which is the 1st process before going for Small Claims Tribunal). However CASE said they cannot do much since is police case and asked me to check with the police…..and the police, point me back to CASE…. In the end CASE asked me to try the forum for advice….

Yes, I was a little careless and too “trusting”. I should had insisted to change to a more secure pad lock and do not pay up the outstanding. I never expect the ID was so irresponsible!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
frankly u have to take responsibility for your own stuff.

Be there when there are works, especially when you have expensive stuff there.

ID is NOT 100% accountable. You also do not have any proof that he took it or any sub cons took it.

Everyone just simply deny, so what can u do? Check for eye witness to see if anyone was seen leaving with a TV? i doubt police man would even bother....

getting ID to pay 100% is ridiculous in my opinion. Its best not to shame him and see if he can give some goodwill discount. Shame him confirm get back $0, maybe he even give u lawyer letter!

(must also depend on how you "shame"...haha)

I have taken measures that I could to secure my stuff, example locked portable stuff into another room. I do not find getting the ID to pay 100% is ridiculous because.

1. I asked ID to change the lock, he said is troublesome and there won’t be any problem. By saying this he was taking on the accountability.

2. I told the ID that he must supervise the workers (since only he knows the work plan). But he never.

Giving a paradigm, when you entrust your child to the childcare center, if your child was injured when measure could have been taken to prevent the injury, is it ridiculous to hold the childcare center be accountable?

We suffered because of irresponsible ID. I do not find publicize such ID identity to warn the public is wrong doing. I feel we have the responsibility to warn the public of bad experiences with ID. I even feel there should be an ID blacklist.

ya ...... would you mind to let us know who he is or where he is from ? curious la ...

Studio Director: Mark Ng

Company: URBAN INTERIORS.

HDB License: HB 06-3383-F

I signed the contract with him while the company was in Beauti World. Now the company was moved to Ang Mo Kio.

Above infomation are not confidential because anyone can walk in to the company for his profile.

frankly u have to take responsibility for your own stuff.

Be there when there are works, especially when you have expensive stuff there.

ID is NOT 100% accountable. You also do not have any proof that he took it or any sub cons took it.

Everyone just simply deny, so what can u do? Check for eye witness to see if anyone was seen leaving with a TV? i doubt police man would even bother....

getting ID to pay 100% is ridiculous in my opinion. Its best not to shame him and see if he can give some goodwill discount. Shame him confirm get back $0, maybe he even give u lawyer letter!

(must also depend on how you "shame"...haha)

totally agree. Why did u choose this ID anyway? Any proof he stole ur LED TV? If u wrongly accused yr ID and put his details up, u can get into some trouble. Maybe he is already getting a lawyer to sue u. So do be careful.

If you lost your car in any carpark, do you sue them?

Owners are to add their own security measures like handle lock etc.

Bear in mind that ID is there to do renovation. Not to take care of your stuff.

Both party have the padlock number.

Assuming, ID/contractor left their expensive tools there and they get lost.

Or some air con unit went missing due to you forgot to lock the night before and

only found out the next morning?

Can ID claim to you ?

You had place your stuff at your own risk without taking additional security measures.

Sorry to say that, thats only my opinion. Sometimes, we just wish that this is a breakin and that you may be able to claim from the insurance.

I have taken measures that I could to secure my stuff, example locked portable stuff into another room. I do not find getting the ID to pay 100% is ridiculous because.

1. I asked ID to change the lock, he said is troublesome and there won’t be any problem. By saying this he was taking on the accountability.

2. I told the ID that he must supervise the workers (since only he knows the work plan). But he never.

Giving a paradigm, when you entrust your child to the childcare center, if your child was injured when measure could have been taken to prevent the injury, is it ridiculous to hold the childcare center be accountable?

We suffered because of irresponsible ID. I do not find publicize such ID identity to warn the public is wrong doing. I feel we have the responsibility to warn the public of bad experiences with ID. I even feel there should be an ID blacklist.

simply put, u trust someone whom you should not have trusted. How can you trust ID? They are not doctors, lawyers or accountants who have a legal liability towards their clients. Also, IDs will NEVER monitor on a daily basis. They only go to site if something goes wrong, trusting the ID is not an option at all. I have changed locks many times during my own reno even though the only thing "steal-able" at the stage was kitchen cabinets.

ID will never supervise. Period. I don't know how you get that impression that ID will supervise. Was it communicated to you explicitly that he would? Black and white given? House owners must supervise to ensure minimal cock-ups. True, you can screw ID when things are done wrongly, which they would rectify but in nowhere is it stated that they would supervise. If IDs supervise, would u still see so many stupid mistakes made in people's t-blog?

Your example is irrelevant. First of all, child and TV --> one is replaceable, one is not. Also, child injury is most of the time caused by playfulness. If they had been obedient and followed instructions, would they have been injured?

whatever the case is, you put the tv there and expected people to look after it for you. A better example is you put your laptop at a cafe and walk away after asking a stranger to take care of it. When u return, laptop gone but stranger say he did not see who took it. Who can u blame? Can you ask the stranger to pay u the laptop cost?

Clearly, it was not an issue where total blame can be attributed to your ID. While you are frustrated and angry, do try to see reason and settle for an amicable solution with ID, like giving you a discount off the bill.

If you lost your car in any carpark, do you sue them?

Owners are to add their own security measures like handle lock etc.

Bear in mind that ID is there to do renovation. Not to take care of your stuff.

Both party have the padlock number.

Assuming, ID/contractor left their expensive tools there and they get lost.

Or some air con unit went missing due to you forgot to lock the night before and

only found out the next morning?

Can ID claim to you ?

You had place your stuff at your own risk without taking additional security measures.

Sorry to say that, thats only my opinion. Sometimes, we just wish that this is a breakin and that you may be able to claim from the insurance.

Hi Warrior

Using car park is not a valid example because car park only provides a lot to park your car. Car park has T&C that they are not liable for thief and lost. But even though they are not liable, most car parks installed CCTV as precautionary measures to guard the cars and owner interest.

Please read and think again carefully the reasons I am holding the ID responsible. In simple words, ID did not take the necessary precaution measures after the warnings. Also partly this happened was due to poor scheduling of work. The items were meant to install after completion but was 1.5 months delay!

Again please read all posts before you claim I never take additional security measures. If I did not lock some other items in another room, more things will be lost.

simply put, u trust someone whom you should not have trusted. How can you trust ID? They are not doctors, lawyers or accountants who have a legal liability towards their clients. Also, IDs will NEVER monitor on a daily basis. They only go to site if something goes wrong, trusting the ID is not an option at all. I have changed locks many times during my own reno even though the only thing "steal-able" at the stage was kitchen cabinets.

ID will never supervise. Period. I don't know how you get that impression that ID will supervise. Was it communicated to you explicitly that he would? Black and white given? House owners must supervise to ensure minimal cock-ups. True, you can screw ID when things are done wrongly, which they would rectify but in nowhere is it stated that they would supervise. If IDs supervise, would u still see so many stupid mistakes made in people's t-blog?

Your example is irrelevant. First of all, child and TV --> one is replaceable, one is not. Also, child injury is most of the time caused by playfulness. If they had been obedient and followed instructions, would they have been injured?

whatever the case is, you put the tv there and expected people to look after it for you. A better example is you put your laptop at a cafe and walk away after asking a stranger to take care of it. When u return, laptop gone but stranger say he did not see who took it. Who can u blame? Can you ask the stranger to pay u the laptop cost?

Clearly, it was not an issue where total blame can be attributed to your ID. While you are frustrated and angry, do try to see reason and settle for an amicable solution with ID, like giving you a discount off the bill.

The key point in my example was "your child was injured when [measure could have been taken to prevent]" and I have warned the ID.

ID is not stranger, ID is paid to do a job. Will you ask a stranger to look after your laptop? I won't.

How to settle for amicable solution with an irresponsible ID who avoid and ignore you after the incident?

Perhaps, you ought to put those in the room too.

Your reasons

Delay - this happen sometimes, things will still get lost even on time.

Change Lock - You ask ID to change lock? he duplicate them, next thing your whole hse gone

I will change lock myself, this way I am sure of my future.

ID must supervise because got expensive item ? - ID supervise work, not jagga your things

Anyway, nobody wants that way, like I say, CASE,SCT,Mediation through 3 party.

All these cannot work want. Just sit down with him and see if there is any thing he can offer.

Discount etc...

Just get on with it, only hurts more figuring out why this happen :(

totally agree. Why did u choose this ID anyway? Any proof he stole ur LED TV? If u wrongly accused yr ID and put his details up, u can get into some trouble. Maybe he is already getting a lawyer to sue u. So do be careful.

Did I accuse he is a thief? The post was about an unprofessional and irresponsibilty ID. There is nothing wrong to raise awareness of bad services.

I am thinking of putting up to the media e.g. STOMP too.

The key point in my example was "your child was injured when [measure could have been taken to prevent]" and I have warned the ID.

ID is not stranger, ID is paid to do a job. Will you ask a stranger to look after your laptop? I won't.

How to settle for amicable solution with an irresponsible ID who avoid and ignore you after the incident?

the only way to stop a child from hurting himself in a child centre is to lock him up.

your example is irrelevant in the first place, but i shall still try one last time to convince u.

i have yet to hear of any child who did not fall sick or hurt himself in a child center before. Child care center cannot and will not guarantee injury free. Children easily trip and fall down. So we gotta make sure whole area is filled with carpet?

what measures you want your ID to take? did he say that he will pay u if things get stolen? if there are multiple people holding on to the keys, what difference does it make?

ID is not stranger? think again. He is. How well do you know him besides his name?

And for goodness sake,you demanded 100% payment for the tv! It already leaves no room for negotiation when u make such a demand. You are already at a losing end right from the start, and yet your demands are so high...it will only create a lose-lose situation. You loss is much greater. one year down the road, this thread will be gone to the dustbin but your ID's shop will still be open. This is life.

Did I accuse he is a thief? The post was about an unprofessional and irresponsibilty ID. There is nothing wrong to raise awareness of bad services.

I am thinking of putting up to the media e.g. STOMP too.

Let me add few things

- Is changing lock part of ID's service?

- Is supervising your items part of ID's service?

If I am wearing many jewelries and go to the slum and being robbed, whose fault? Of course it's the robber's fault. But again, why am I inviting troubles?

Now, if I am inside the taxi and I'm being robbed because taxi driver never lock the door (despite your warning), whose fault? Robber? Taxi driver?

Qn:

- why never lock the car's door yourself?

- cuz you are passenger, are you expecting this service from the driver?

You are alright to expect certain things from the ID, but don't you think you ask too much?

Perhaps, you ought to put those in the room too.

Your reasons

Delay - this happen sometimes, things will still get lost even on time.

Change Lock - You ask ID to change lock? he duplicate them, next thing your whole hse gone

I will change lock myself, this way I am sure of my future.

ID must supervise because got expensive item ? - ID supervise work, not jagga your things

Anyway, nobody wants that way, like I say, CASE,SCT,Mediation through 3 party.

All these cannot work want. Just sit down with him and see if there is any thing he can offer.

Discount etc...

Just get on with it, only hurts more figuring out why this happen :(

I do not know how to uninstall the TV, if not I would have done it and locked it up.

You are right ID supervise work and should aviod things that would go wrong during the process of the work.

I do not know how to uninstall the TV, if not I would have done it and locked it up.

You are right ID supervise work and should aviod things that would go wrong during the process of the work.

TV mount are bolt to the wall, but the TV with the bracket are hook type.

Just slide vertical up and bingo, its off the hook, no need any tool.

He avoid you now cos you had sentence him to death.

You don't give him room to discuss.

After you have cool down, perhaps you can discuss for a resolution.

Never resolve matter when 1 party is angry, cos all that comes out are only hurting words which is regretable :(