Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
masterninja

Types Of Sand For Plastering And Tiles Laying

I need urgent help on the above. I understand that the best type of sand would be eg mining sand which are filtered to ensure no or minimal iron content to avoid rust stains on walls and floors. My contractor is currently using mud sand for the reno works including cement screeding/plastering and tiles laying. Apart from staining, I understand that mud sand will also undermine the intrinsic strength of the cement.

I know that Singapore is short of sand but is using mud sand acceptable? I don't believe it is in many countries. Keen to hear your experience.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I need urgent help on the above. I understand that the best type of sand would be eg mining sand which are filtered to ensure no or minimal iron content to avoid rust stains on walls and floors. My contractor is currently using mud sand for the reno works including cement screeding/plastering and tiles laying. Apart from staining, I understand that mud sand will also undermine the intrinsic strength of the cement.

I know that Singapore is short of sand but is using mud sand acceptable? I don't believe it is in many countries. Keen to hear your experience.

May be u can ask your contractor to use pre-pack material i.e. pre-mix cement & sand for screeding, pre-mix base plaster for plastering base. it shall cost less than $6-8 per 40kg bag.

sand supply has been stabilise since last 2 yr. these days we seldom use hand mix cement and sand anymore for quality consistancy. worker will tend to add a lot of water for workability.