Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DarthRevan

What Is This Thing In My Bathroom?

Did it "erupt"? :D

With Jognson body powder added, as real as the recent's iceland's volcano eruption. Vinegar smells very much like sulphate...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I am sure they didn't do water-proofing for the kerb.

Reason I ask is because for the future..thought of doing water-proofing for whole bathroom, coz 15cm upturn at both side don't seem to be working well as I wash the wall tiles weekly, and the peeling and cracking 1 floor below my bathroom is very bad :(

The U or L-sharped kerb is just "overlay" on top of the tiolet flooring. Tiolet flooring already "water-proof". Issue is whether those gaps between kerb & floor are properly sealed. Experience shows that white/clear silicon used in sealing the glass/plastic, over time developed the "black, back" stuff, near impossible to clean, best use black colour silicon or some kind of black color sealant. We wash/ brush tiolet everyday, yet couldn't avoid these "black black" stuff.

Edited by bepgof

Looks like it was a calcium deposit.

This is very common in London (UK) where we have hard water. I have not noticed it in Singapore apart from in hotels.

Check your water boiler (drinking water). If you have scaling (a build up of calcium carbonate) around the heating pad or element then you have hard water.

More likely is that the cement used to build the curb was standard cement which is usually heavily based on limestone (calcium carbonate). If the white cement grouting had failed and water is leaking through underneath the curb then it will be seeping through the concrete mortar and carrying some of the limestone with it and as the water lays there and evaporates it leaves the limestone deposit (same way that water seeping through rocks create stalactites and stalagmites in caves).

As you have found, baking soda is pretty good to remove. Kettle de-scaling solutions will also work.

For a repair, you could use silicon as suggested or just make sure the area inside and outside of the shower is dry and reapply the white cement grouting along the bottom of the tiles. Make sure it goes hard before using the shower again or you will just wash it away. If you don't want to regrout yourself then give a local handyman a call as they should be able to do it for you for a small fee.

The reason that normal (grey) cement allows the limestone to seep out and white cement does not is due to white cement using much less limestone in it's make up.

RB

I know you will doesnt like my suggestion but still telling renovate your bathroom as if your repair or do minor changes it will again expense for you, so better renovate your bathroom.

err

S$5 (DIY), maybe S$20 (handyman to fix)

or

S$2K+ for reno

:dunno:

RB

Looks like it was a calcium deposit.

This is very common in London (UK) where we have hard water. I have not noticed it in Singapore apart from in hotels.

Check your water boiler (drinking water). If you have scaling (a build up of calcium carbonate) around the heating pad or element then you have hard water.

More likely is that the cement used to build the curb was standard cement which is usually heavily based on limestone (calcium carbonate). If the white cement grouting had failed and water is leaking through underneath the curb then it will be seeping through the concrete mortar and carrying some of the limestone with it and as the water lays there and evaporates it leaves the limestone deposit (same way that water seeping through rocks create stalactites and stalagmites in caves).

As you have found, baking soda is pretty good to remove. Kettle de-scaling solutions will also work.

For a repair, you could use silicon as suggested or just make sure the area inside and outside of the shower is dry and reapply the white cement grouting along the bottom of the tiles. Make sure it goes hard before using the shower again or you will just wash it away. If you don't want to regrout yourself then give a local handyman a call as they should be able to do it for you for a small fee.

The reason that normal (grey) cement allows the limestone to seep out and white cement does not is due to white cement using much less limestone in it's make up.

RB

wow..you're knowledgeable..thanks for ur advice..any idea how to tell the salesman when buying "kettle de-scaling solutions?

wow..you're knowledgeable..thanks for ur advice..any idea how to tell the salesman when buying "kettle de-scaling solutions?

Have had lots of experience with limescale :D.

Have ust looked through the Cold storage on-line catalogue and nothing seems to be highlighted as a limescale remover.

I would suggest going to home/self fix and asking there. Just ask for a limescale remover and they should be ableo to help. If you cannot get any help there then ask here again and I will try to get details of specific products that should work.

Cheers

RB.