Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ngunadi

Location Of Divider

Anyone can help me to enlighten why Master Chang advised us to have the divider as located in the brown box.

From design perspective, we would like to have it in the green box.

If we put the partition/divider in brown box, it would take up so much space in the living room and the foyer is waaay to big also.

Any one knows why?

4747889621_6a07e04c59.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Anyone can help me to enlighten why Master Chang advised us to have the divider as located in the brown box.

If we put the partition/divider in brown box, it would take up so much space in the living room and the foyer is waaay to big also.

Any one knows why?

Did u counter propose to him? Both serve same purpose in my opinion

Any one knows why?

If guess correct, got present or not?

Edited by bepgof

Any one knows why?

I encounter the same problem also so I asked him on the spot. He then gave me another option but told me that the 1st proposed location is the best. I didn't ask him why.

If guess correct, got present or not?

Got coffee on me !! :)

I suspect it's something to do with "big throat"? (saw ur response from another thread

my fsm told me that when the door opens. a 'chi' will flow into the house. maybe locating the divider too close to the door will change the path of that chi resulting in the wealth corner not gathering the chi as required?

I encounter the same problem also so I asked him on the spot. He then gave me another option but told me that the 1st proposed location is the best. I didn't ask him why.

Same here. I ask him if I can place the divider closer to the door, he say cannot. Must place according to his calculation. So end up my foyer is very big :(

1. Yr unit's layout is quite similar to my 1st 5-rm (bedok north ave4, blk 94D), except my entrance has a "rectangular pillar" blocks abt 20% and I further built a divider, half-heigh(abt 4 ft tall, just below the window) exactly at "brown" - with hollow glass blocks (6"x6"), inside divider put a lamp, top of divider covered up (removable) with a plywood with veener sheeet, abt 5 ft protruding out from wall. I sold in 2007 for $450K.

2. Wolfet is correct that most fsms viewed main door as "chi" exchange point - where "chi" in/out the house via main door.

3. In ancient chinese army troop deployment, a General was always camped at a location, having an oveview of the whole troop, but the troop could not saw him. In modern office's FS setup follows this concept: A superior is always at :"I can see you, you cannot see me".This principle somehows fall the same to one of the 13 chapters of sun sze's art of war.

4. Your unit simply has no "folyer"! = no "thoat"! = everywhere after the entrance is "thoat", so anybody can access to your "internal organs" via the mouth(main door)easily! I tried to put it plain and imaginative. Those HDB units with common corridor all having this "problem". "once open door can see everything" is no good, why no good? To be more scientific and logical - as mentioned in 3 is more of a "psych" effect, personally I felt this way. "Chi" exchange theory is too deep, I don't understand well and not to mislead you, so don't elaborate here.

5. The "green" mark is actually more precisely to create a folyer or "thoat", than the "brown". Anyway,you still need to put a dinning table & TV console in the hall, right?

6. Things to note: windows-to-window, or window-to-door in NS facing is good for wind flow (Oct to Mar). If window-to-window, or window-to-door in NE is good for wind flow in (Mar to June)

Fyi, I prefer coffee-O.

Edited by bepgof

Any one knows why?

Sorry, i forgot to mention one important principle in geomancy as to house:

Imagine a U-shape, you are at the inner bottom of the U, facing the "open", left, right & back with "support" - this is an excellent 格局 (translated as "setup" ??). This 格局 is actually a reflection of chinese star constellation(4 symbols): Emperor sat within 北斗 cart, with stars surrounded Him:

Front: The Vermillion Bird

Left: The Azure Dragon

Right: The White Tiger

Back: The Black Tortoise

Whether to a hall/room/tomb/building, etc this principle applies: L,R,B has "support", F- clear view. Furniture must be placed against the wall = got support!

To ngunadi & htng: must understand chinese calendar's working principle first before knowing why can't do this & that in chinese 7th month. B4 understanding calendar must understand the motion of Sun, Earth & Moon,as well as the 10 stems & 12 branches and the 60-cycle stuff. Understanding chinese characters is a plus. I'll try before 10/8/10(new moon) to 24/8/10(full moon)

Edited by bepgof

Imagine a U-shape, you are at the inner bottom of the U, facing the "open", left, right & back with "support" - this is an excellent 格局 (translated as "setup" ??). This 格局 is actually a reflection of chinese star constellation(4 symbols): Emperor sat within 北斗 cart, with stars surrounded Him:

Whether to a hall/room/tomb/building, etc this principle applies: L,R,B has "support", F- clear view. Furniture must be placed against the wall = got support!

To ngunadi & htng: must understand chinese calendar's working principle first before knowing why can't do this & that in chinese 7th month. B4 understanding calendar must understand the motion of Sun, Earth & Moon,as well as the 10 stems & 12 branches and the 60-cycle stuff. Understanding chinese characters is a plus. I'll try before 10/8/10(new moon) to 24/8/10(full moon)

bro ngunadi

hope you don't mind me sharing my floor plan here. Master chang advise me to build a partition near the door. My house looks like there is a throat like what bro bepof mention.

Screenshot2010-05-30atPM123437.png

my FSM different. he told me not to do it, cos it's like a blade right in the middle. not good.

can share who is ur fsm? Most will say block bcos I show plan to 3 fsm before. Direct door / window facing is no good. One of my friend didn't put bcos she mention fsm says her house qi very good

my FSM different. he told me not to do it, cos it's like a blade right in the middle. not good.

Hi Merydith, care to post the floorplan? You FSM could be right also. My divider (blk 94D) was 2.5 ' wide, centre hollow, ever put son inside while young after he repeatedly asked me what was kept inside. MIL like to lean against the glass blocks while watching tv programmes. I sometimes slept next to it on floor, "outsiders" from door couldn't see. Anyway, only 5 units per floor, let them saw also never mind.

Edited by bepgof

1. Yr unit's layout is quite similar to my 1st 5-rm (bedok north ave4, blk 94D), except my entrance has a "rectangular pillar" blocks abt 20% and I further built a divider, half-heigh(abt 4 ft tall, just below the window) exactly at "brown" - with hollow glass blocks (6"x6"), inside divider put a lamp, top of divider covered up (removable) with a plywood with veener sheeet, abt 5 ft protruding out from wall. I sold in 2007 for $450K.

2. Wolfet is correct that most fsms viewed main door as "chi" exchange point - where "chi" in/out the house via main door.

3. In ancient chinese army troop deployment, a General was always camped at a location, having an oveview of the whole troop, but the troop could not saw him. In modern office's FS setup follows this concept: A superior is always at :"I can see you, you cannot see me".This principle somehows fall the same to one of the 13 chapters of sun sze's art of war.

4. Your unit simply has no "folyer"! = no "thoat"! = everywhere after the entrance is "thoat", so anybody can access to your "internal organs" via the mouth(main door)easily! I tried to put it plain and imaginative. Those HDB units with common corridor all having this "problem". "once open door can see everything" is no good, why no good? To be more scientific and logical - as mentioned in 3 is more of a "psych" effect, personally I felt this way. "Chi" exchange theory is too deep, I don't understand well and not to mislead you, so don't elaborate here.

5. The "green" mark is actually more precisely to create a folyer or "thoat", than the "brown". Anyway,you still need to put a dinning table & TV console in the hall, right?

6. Things to note: windows-to-window, or window-to-door in NS facing is good for wind flow (Oct to Mar). If window-to-window, or window-to-door in NE is good for wind flow in (Mar to June)

Fyi, I prefer coffee-O.

As you mentioned, the green mark is a more "precise" place to create foyer or throat than the brown. But why Master Chang advises on brown spot?

I asked him whether we could put it on the "green" spot but he said it won't have a good result. So, I follow his advise and built the partition near the brown spot.

As I brought in the useless, balcony to be part of hall, there's still enough space to put the TV console. The dining table is located near the entrance of the kitchen.

Coffee-O would come ... we could meet up for coffee/supper at bedok :D

Edited by ngunadi

From watching those chinese show, I realize the why the Jade Emperor sits behind with all the stars surrounding him like an "U" shape. So, it's for the support.

To know all these, which book is a good start? An english book would be better. A chinese book would be just put in my shelf until my chinese is good enough to start reading it (still learning :))