Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
marshmallow

Re-painting Of Door Frames

We are planning to re-paint the room door frames at our new home. We noticed that there are already some 3 or 4 coats or old paints on it. some areas have already peeled off and the surface is not in good condition.

We requested our contractor to sand or scrap off the old paint before re-painting, however, we were told that it cannot be done becos:

1) existing door frames are made of metal. paint cannot be scrapped off simply cos it may damage the surface. he said if wooden door frame would be easier.

2) if try sand down the old paint, surface will become even more rough and makes the re-painting even uglier (but, isn't there something like sealant to patch the surface before painting?)

so the conclusion is: sanding or smoothing of existing painted surface cannot be done, can only paint over. those peeled-off areas may continue to peel off.

we would like to ask: what is the best way to smoothen or "condition" the old surface and get the re-painting done properly??

we don't think that it can't be done - just that it may require more time and money. we understand that most contractors only quoted simple re-painting without sanding. we are willing to bear the extra cost if it's reasonable...

those who know how or have done it before, please kindly advise~! Thank you~! :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Metal door frame??? Other than HS, got ppl use metal door frame in residential?

Or is it office partition type aluminium?

If wanna look nice need to spray paint. But metal need metal etching paint sealer to make it stick. If wanna hide defects, do not use gloss paint, matt is ideal, but easily get dirty.

It can be removed & repaint but the process takes time.

1. Use paint etching fluid (those applied between pvc pipes to make them "eat" together), must wear glove, protect rubber/pvc material nearby, floor....apply fluid onto paint by brush, wait for 1/2 hr or so, scrap away the paint, repeat the same if paint too thick.

2. Clean the metal frame by cloth, free from water, oil... apply a coat of primer, wait dry.

3. Apply enamal paint..., may need 2 layers. Don't over apply and leave the "crying" marks.

Need to prepare some "tins", brushes( correct size in inch), tarpintime(spelling ?), used cloth, newpapers, tap, very "troublesome"- a way to test patience and skill. I've done that before

Edited by bepgof

thanks for all the replies... looks like it's really tedious.

It can be removed & repaint but the process takes time.

1. Use paint etching fluid (those applied between pvc pipes to make them "eat" together), must wear glove, protect rubber/pvc material nearby, floor....apply fluid onto paint by brush, wait for 1/2 hr or so, scrap away the paint, repeat the same if paint too thick.

2. Clean the metal frame by cloth, free from water, oil... apply a coat of primer, wait dry.

3. Apply enamal paint..., may need 2 layers. Don't over apply and leave the "crying" marks.

Need to prepare some "tins", brushes( correct size in inch), tarpintime(spelling ?), used cloth, newpapers, tap, very "troublesome"- a way to test patience and skill. I've done that before

you reminded me... my contractor did mentioned about this paint etching fluid, but he advised against it cos we are keeping the existing marble flooring. he said this chemical very strong one, even protection is done, if sui sui got one drop gets in contact with the floor, the marble will be gone... hmmm.

how long did you take to remove the paint yourself? you must have a lot of patience to do it :good:

thanks for all the replies... looks like it's really tedious.

you reminded me... my contractor did mentioned about this paint etching fluid, but he advised against it cos we are keeping the existing marble flooring. he said this chemical very strong one, even protection is done, if sui sui got one drop gets in contact with the floor, the marble will be gone... hmmm.

how long did you take to remove the paint yourself? you must have a lot of patience to do it :good:

This fluid (a bit gel like,highly acidic, pronounced as "teck sai" in teochew) ppl like to use to throw onto car for "revenge", the paint peeling effect is "wonderful". It is water-soluble, not so worry. Ppl also use that to clean the carbon in exhaust pipes in car or motorcar.

It attacks plastic, polypropene-based plastic, paint (all kinds, 2k, 3k, metallic....), reacts with stones (marbles, granites) cement etc. So long as you always standby a wet cloth nearby, it is safe. Many years back before married in 1993, helped my then "girl friend" now my wife, HDB rented 1-rm unit. I was young, got time & patience, but no money. Now the other way round, "old", no time and "no patience", a bit of money only leh.

Edited by bepgof

This fluid (a bit gel like,highly acidic, pronounced as "teck sai" in teochew) ppl like to use to throw onto car for "revenge", the paint peeling effect is "wonderful". It is water-soluble, not so worry. Ppl also use that to clean the carbon in exhaust pipes in car or motorcar.

It attacks plastic, polypropene-based plastic, paint (all kinds, 2k, 3k, metallic....), reacts with stones (marbles, granites) cement etc. So long as you always standby a wet cloth nearby, it is safe. Many years back before married in 1993, helped my then "girl friend" now my wife, HDB rented 1-rm unit. I was young, got time & patience, but no money. Now the other way round, "old", no time and "no patience", a bit of money only leh.

LOL... may i know what is the English name for this fluid? thanks~ :)

or... if i wanna use mechanical means to improve the surface before painting, possible?

LOL... may i know what is the English name for this fluid? thanks~ :)

or... if i wanna use mechanical means to improve the surface before painting, possible?

Actually just ask for paint remover from the paint shop can liao. :yamseng:

Actually just ask for paint remover from the paint shop can liao. :yamseng:

Thanks for the info :)

may i check - normally how long it takes to remove the paint from the metal frame? is it difficult?

okie some updates...

in the end, my contractor is still worried that the workers may accidentally drip one or two drops of the chemical on the floor and damage the marble, so he tried to use sand paper to smoothen the surface before painting.

tested on 1 door frame. result: so far so good... :)