Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yapyap

Question Regarding Property Tax Remission

Was trying to claim for vacancy tax refund for my construction period but was rejected

Reasons

1) Relief in the form of vacancy refund is given to owners who intend to let our their properties but unable to find a tenant despite reasonable effort

2) Building has been undergoing repairs for the purposes of rending it fit for occupation

3) Does not cover restoration, renov, etc etc..

Was told that i can however claim for remission of property tax instead.. so at least i can claim something...

But anyone knows the different?

Also, IRAS ask me to complete a form (which they didn't attached in their letter) together with a copy of the Lodgement Form or Written Permission issued by URA...

What is this Lodgement Form or Written Permission issued by URA... ???

Want to write in to ask but they didnt give me an email address.. so wonder if any kind soul here know else i will seek these people out..

TIA..

Edited by yapyap

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Was trying to claim for vacancy tax refund for my construction period but was rejected

Reasons

1) Relief in the form of vacancy refund is given to owners who intend to let our their properties but unable to find a tenant despite reasonable effort

2) Building has been undergoing repairs for the purposes of rending it fit for occupation

3) Does not cover restoration, renov, etc etc..

Was told that i can however claim for remission of property tax instead.. so at least i can claim something...

But anyone knows the different?

Also, IRAS ask me to complete a form (which they didn't attached in their letter) together with a copy of the Lodgement Form or Written Permission issued by URA...

What is this Lodgement Form or Written Permission issued by URA... ???

Want to write in to ask but they didnt give me an email address.. so wonder if any kind soul here know else i will seek these people out..

TIA..

Written Permission or WP is issued by URA to officially approve your planned building works. If you rebuilt or constructed your house, you should find the WP in corenet. If you still don't know how to locate it, ask your architect/builder. If you need to contact IRA, just click on the "contact info" link at the top right hand corner of their web page.

BTW, do note that if you fail in your bid for a remission claim, you will be taxed for the land value which will usually be higher than just paying your property tax.

http://iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=2422

Good luck!

Written Permission or WP is issued by URA to officially approve your planned building works. If you rebuilt or constructed your house, you should find the WP in corenet. If you still don't know how to locate it, ask your architect/builder. If you need to contact IRA, just click on the "contact info" link at the top right hand corner of their web page.

BTW, do note that if you fail in your bid for a remission claim, you will be taxed for the land value which will usually be higher than just paying your property tax.

http://iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=2422

Good luck!

Thanks bro..

I dont understand the rule here... if I fail, I will be taxed for the land value? So why cant they tell me if I can claim or cannot claim in the first place?

How to fail the claim? The truth is i didnt stay at the place when it was been rebuild.. so i dont think i should be taxed..

seems like another ploy to make their own coffer bigger by having vague rules? hahaha

This is the page regarding remission of property tax.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=2384

There are so many preconditions. Nobody will know whether u qualify except yrself.

"Vacancy refund" is only for non owner occupied properties.

As long as the land has approved redevelopment plans or the existing building has been demolished, tax is based on land value. This is a deterrent against ppl hoarding land. Tax remission is not automatic, and not a privilege.

Thanks bro..

I dont understand the rule here... if I fail, I will be taxed for the land value? So why cant they tell me if I can claim or cannot claim in the first place?

How to fail the claim? The truth is i didnt stay at the place when it was been rebuild.. so i dont think i should be taxed..

seems like another ploy to make their own coffer bigger by having vague rules? hahaha

I guess you might want to give them a call though I suspect the officer will provide clear definate answers. You might want to use the guidelines given in the 2 links provided above (one for reconstruction and another for rebuilt...I think). One of the conditions given (for reconstruction) is that you must not be enjoying owner/occupier rates for an other property for the contruction period and for me that will disqualify me... if you are renting, it might be okay.

Let us know how this whole thing works out for you, will be good learning.

I guess you might want to give them a call though I suspect the officer will provide clear definate answers. You might want to use the guidelines given in the 2 links provided above (one for reconstruction and another for rebuilt...I think). One of the conditions given (for reconstruction) is that you must not be enjoying owner/occupier rates for an other property for the contruction period and for me that will disqualify me... if you are renting, it might be okay.

Let us know how this whole thing works out for you, will be good learning.

well..

I just got a cheque from them on lowering of my tax rate to 4% for owner occupancy concession over the period of construction.

:D