Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kajua

Opennet Running Of Cable

But take note of the bending radius as the optic fiber cable cannot be kinked or bent.

Flexible pvc pipe like the drain pipe on the back of the washing machine will be a good bet then ;). Grab for any neighbourhood hardware shop.

RB

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
But take note of the bending radius as the optic fiber cable cannot be kinked or bent.

noted with thanks neubie...

Flexible pvc pipe like the drain pipe on the back of the washing machine will be a good bet then ;). Grab for any neighbourhood hardware shop.

RB

Thanks for your advice RB...

1 new shop @ SLS selling 1000feets cat 6 cable for $120? price cheap or expensive?

Brand / model number.

Good price if a reasonable brand and model.

RB

If i've false ceiling throughout house and do not wish to run trunking along ceiling when opennet comes for installation, can i pre-run a conduit or trunking with a string in it up in my false ceiling 1st...later when installation time, tie end of optical fibre to string and pull through??? is this feasible???

i found that the TP has been installed in my new place...but it's not installed near existing SCV/TV/AC power point and/or telephone points in living room...instead TP is located in DB box (see pic)...i plan to put N router in the DB box...question is why is it recommended that the TP to be near SCV/TV/telephone points??? In this case which mine is nowhere near, what do i need to do???

92103818.jpg

i found that the TP has been installed in my new place...but it's not installed near existing SCV/TV/AC power point and/or telephone points in living room...instead TP is located in DB box (see pic)...i plan to put N router in the DB box...question is why is it recommended that the TP to be near SCV/TV/telephone points??? In this case which mine is nowhere near, what do i need to do???

92103818.jpg

The termination point will usually be by where you will have the TV as that is where the signal is going (A STB plugged in to the TV). Most people want the stuff to do with their tv by the tv and most have one main tv and only one main feed. Placing the TP away from the tv is most likely due to cost of running the cable. The installation cost only includes a run XXX meters in to the property. Any extra is charged for.

As far as I am aware, the service provided will supply a box to connect to the TP. The provider should have the specs of the box. Starhub are providing this unit. This has wireless N networking for computers but nothing wireless for TV. I can not advise specifically for Starhub but the specification posted on the super broadband site mentions connectivity to a PNA (netowkr to coax cable converter) and then, via coax and another PNA, cat 6 to the set top box. I would suggest the PNA -> PNA via coax connection more or less the same as using network over powerline type homeplugs. The advantage of coax over network cable is the distances and ease of installation. Any monkey with a tool box should be able to do it and do it well without special training. Network installation is seen as complicated and expensive.

Simple solution, let Starhub worry about it when they hook you up. Another solution would be to use homeplugs to connect using the power lines but check for reviews to make sure the homeplugs can handle the bandwidth requirements. Best solution, run a cat 6 connection to each room that has a computer / set top box for TV. Letting Starhub run coax still means they need to run cables and you have to have one PNA device at each end as well as a set top box / modem. Network cable installation means no PNAs needed. PNAs have an advantage if you already have coax in place from a previous install for example. Network cables can be used for the STB and for computers.

I would just get a cable run from the TP to behind the main TV in the living room. If you have any more STBs or computers then run other cables there either now or later. Call Starhub and see what they advise though as they may install the coax and give the PNA's for free......

RB

Thanks for the detailed explanation...like u said lastly, i'm planning to run cat6 from TP to living room...some further questions...

1) the ONT is provided by service provider right...

2) is the starhub wireless home gateway the RG or ONT in the pic???

3) did i identify correctly the cat6 cable as in the pic??? If i run cat6 to living rm, does it end with RJ-45???

69556946.jpg

The termination point will usually be by where you will have the TV as that is where the signal is going (A STB plugged in to the TV). Most people want the stuff to do with their tv by the tv and most have one main tv and only one main feed. Placing the TP away from the tv is most likely due to cost of running the cable. The installation cost only includes a run XXX meters in to the property. Any extra is charged for.

As far as I am aware, the service provided will supply a box to connect to the TP. The provider should have the specs of the box. Starhub are providing this unit. This has wireless N networking for computers but nothing wireless for TV. I can not advise specifically for Starhub but the specification posted on the super broadband site mentions connectivity to a PNA (netowkr to coax cable converter) and then, via coax and another PNA, cat 6 to the set top box. I would suggest the PNA -> PNA via coax connection more or less the same as using network over powerline type homeplugs. The advantage of coax over network cable is the distances and ease of installation. Any monkey with a tool box should be able to do it and do it well without special training. Network installation is seen as complicated and expensive.

Simple solution, let Starhub worry about it when they hook you up. Another solution would be to use homeplugs to connect using the power lines but check for reviews to make sure the homeplugs can handle the bandwidth requirements. Best solution, run a cat 6 connection to each room that has a computer / set top box for TV. Letting Starhub run coax still means they need to run cables and you have to have one PNA device at each end as well as a set top box / modem. Network cable installation means no PNAs needed. PNAs have an advantage if you already have coax in place from a previous install for example. Network cables can be used for the STB and for computers.

I would just get a cable run from the TP to behind the main TV in the living room. If you have any more STBs or computers then run other cables there either now or later. Call Starhub and see what they advise though as they may install the coax and give the PNA's for free......

RB

Thanks for the detailed explanation...like u said lastly, i'm planning to run cat6 from TP to living room...some further questions...

1) the ONT is provided by service provider right...

2) is the starhub wireless home gateway the RG or ONT in the pic???

3) did i identify correctly the cat6 cable as in the pic??? If i run cat6 to living rm, does it end with RJ-45???

69556946.jpg

As far as I am aware;

1. Yes

2. I would imagine it is the RG. The ONT would be with the TP can your cat6 cable will connect the ONT and the RG by your TV.

3. Yes and Yes.

:)

RB

As far as I am aware;

1. Yes

2. I would imagine it is the RG. The ONT would be with the TP can your cat6 cable will connect the ONT and the RG by your TV.

3. Yes and Yes.

:)

RB

Thanks for the help...

Anyone knows what the 2 highlighted boxes are???

picture009ql.jpg

hi lazybum9

i had openet installed already at my resale flat ,plan to relocate must i get the openet guysto do it

pls advise

Im waiting for the installation but will like to share with you what we have in mind - Run the mini-trunking above the skirting, not 'too bad' if the route is only along one panel of wall.

Im planning to install a flexible trunking and pull string inside my false ceiling so that Opennet can just pull the fiber on installation day. Is this feasible?

Where can I buy those flexible trunking(loom tubing)?

Any experience? Pls share with me the address of teh hardware store and how much per meter?

Thanks a lot

Im planning to install a flexible trunking and pull string inside my false ceiling so that Opennet can just pull the fiber on installation day. Is this feasible?

Where can I buy those flexible trunking(loom tubing)?

Any experience? Pls share with me the address of teh hardware store and how much per meter?

Thanks a lot

My electrician did the trunking with a cable to pull. Doesnt look flexible? Will see how it goes in 2 weeks when opennet comes!