Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kajua

Opennet Running Of Cable

As far as I am aware;

1. Yes

2. I would imagine it is the RG. The ONT would be with the TP can your cat6 cable will connect the ONT and the RG by your TV.

3. Yes and Yes.

:)

RB

bro RB, i opened the right box and inside is a 5 point splitter, 1 inlet & 4 outlets to all rooms' tv points...and opennet replied me today, see their reply below...

picture009sd.jpg

Thank you for your email.

You will be able to enjoy the HD enhancement for TV if you connect the TP to the Splitter which distribute signals to the TV points.

my plan is to put router in living room and use starhub services...if what opennet says is true, i don't need to run cat6 to living room...i can connect starhub modem to tv point and connect my wireless router to modem and be able to enjoy the high speed fibre...am i correct???

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi everyone, I just buy a resale unit and realise that the previous owner had opted out for the Opennet. I tried sending a email to the opennet requesting them to come over to install. End up they reply there will be charges of $220 for the installation as the installation for my area had completed. Any advise on how to get them to waive off the charges? TIA Cheers! :)

bro RB, i opened the right box and inside is a 5 point splitter, 1 inlet & 4 outlets to all rooms' tv points...and opennet replied me today, see their reply below...

picture009sd.jpg

Thank you for your email.

You will be able to enjoy the HD enhancement for TV if you connect the TP to the Splitter which distribute signals to the TV points.

my plan is to put router in living room and use starhub services...if what opennet says is true, i don't need to run cat6 to living room...i can connect starhub modem to tv point and connect my wireless router to modem and be able to enjoy the high speed fibre...am i correct???

Well that reply is pretty wrong from Starhub. I suspect they are just missing bits out to make it simpler for the customer.

The TP needs to connect to the OTP. The OTP converts the light sent via the fibreoptic to electrical signals. The OTP has a single RJ45 connection active (the FAQ states only one will be made active although others exist on the OTP). The OTP then connects to a ADSL router or home gateway in their terms. This then passes the internet content to the set-top-boxes for tv / telephone and broadband services.

The Starhub website makes no mention of using devices to convert RJ45 based signals to coax (I am assuming your 5 way splitter is coax). If this is the case then you would need network cables to distribute.

In the diagram from Singtel (reproduced in post #10 of this thread), they have a "Home Coaxial Network device" (refered to as HCND from here onwards :)) which could be used to bridge between the Home gateway and the 5 way splitter. another HCND would be needed at the other end of the coax cable before connecting to the STB. These HCND would act like the home plugs do with electrical wires but use coax instead.

So, in essence, if Starhub have something like the HCND system then you would have the TP, OTP and HG all in the room/cupboard with the splitter and then HCND and STB at each point you would like a Starhub TV connection.

The page on the Starhub site with their network suggestions is here (click the "Home network option" tab above "related links") but it makes no references to HCND which is strange as Starhub customers would most likely have coax wiring from the previous generation of Starhub products.

RB

Hi guys, thanks for the valuable info shared above. Sorry but I'm a noob in such areas.

My resale flat is currently under reno and I'm having false ceiling throughout the whole house to conceal any ugly trunking and cables. My previous owner has installed the TP but right next to the main door! :bangwall: So my ID said he'll fix an appt with opennet to relocate it at the main TV wall in the living room. Phew...

HTB is IT dinosaur but we've already signed on to Singtel fibre at the recent PC show for Mio cos of his soccer. I'm trying to figure out what cabling for fibre needs to be done during reno so as to future proof my house reasonably (HTB and I are not very high end IT users) and eliminate the possibility of installing trunkings in future. I understand the part on the TP to the TNP and Home PNA but I'm concerned about the home coaxial network. I read up Singtel fibre FAQ and it mentioned cable with surface trunking for installation!

Please pardon my ignorance. :P Can any kind soul tell me what exactly this coaxial thingy is? Is it something like the SCV point kind of installation? Or cat6 cables with RJ45?? :help:

TIA

Hi

Anyone hack the cornies and false ceiling to have the Opennet cables concealed?

Must this be done before or during Opennet does the installation?

Thanks in advance!