Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
TnJ

Floor Plan And Hiring An Id

You can try buying some reno books or read them from the national library. There are good ideas that you can adopt and adapt for your house. When you want to think about lights, you may also start to think about electrical wiring, switches, etc... When you buy lights, you can get the light supplier to help you fix the light for you.

Cheers!

Guess what? I did just that ... I bought Home & Decor and Home Concepts mags today .... plan to raid the library over the weekend to check for more info. So lots of reading to do in the coming days :deal:

I went to lightings.com.sg @Jln Berseh a couple of days ago to check out the stuff there and the sales guy there told me that it was too early to even start looking around. He remarked that even if I liked and shortlisted something, no point 'coz by the time I'll be ready to buy, that make/model may not be available and new designs may have come. I think he has a point, although no harm starting to look around, just to get a feel of things. What say?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but am a little 'duh when it comes to understanding lighting :( My unit is supposed to come equipped with 15-20 lighting points. What does this mean? Means switches will be provided? Can u pls explain in detail? :help:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, i'm in the same situation as you! Being first time home owner, can't stop being excited and anxious for the new place to be completed. When i passed the cheque, stated TOP was end of 2010. But recently i went to the site and met with the main contractor and he said most probably the place will be done up in October!!!

Earlier this year, around march i too was obsessed with finding the right ID / contractor and with the same issue that i don't have a detailed floor plan so i scrap the thought. I just read the Tblogs in this forum and note down those that are nice in my opinion and also their id or contractor. In may, i think i've borrowed almost all issues of home and decor from 2008 to the most recent and took pics of those that i think will fit into the design i have in mind after all the reading.

When i knew that TOP might be in October, i went to a couple of the ID i've shortlisted and they said the draft floorplan is enough for them to come up with design and a quote. Also went furniture hunting from places listed in the forum.

Guess right now is too early for you to find your id/ contractor. Go through the forum n mags to ascertain what theme you are interested in and the color. Take note and bookmark the blogs that you like and the id's contact. But if you don't have a specific design and only want minimal renovation, and really just wants someone to coordinate the works for you, there are 2 resident forummers in the tblog that you can take reference from. Go through the tblog and see if you're comfortable with how they do things.

Good luck! i know i'm having fun trying to put my ideas into reality!!

Edited by sfk7

I recommend 3 to 4 months before key collection to confirm an ID or contractor. For these types of projects, it's better to have more time form the contractors to plan than try to rush last minute. No potential downside except paying your deposit to the ID a little earlier.

More time = less mistakes = less stress. This is my experience from 4 home renovations and 1 house reconstruction.

Firstly, thanks for the comments, pls keep them coming, I can do with all the valuable advice that I am getting.

sfk7: Hi, glad to hear from you :) What u wrote is exactly what I was looking for. While I can't wait for the TOP so that I can move in, am equally worried if I can manage everything. But am feeling better now that I know I am not alone and should I need help, you folks will help me out! Look forward to hearing more about your experiences. Will PM you with my specific questions.

kardtoon: Yes, 3-4 mths before key collection sounds like a good time to start putting plans into action. Have started gathering basic info, as I have time, will go about slowly so that I understand things better and also have fun in the process! :D

My question remains unanswered, can someone help pls?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but am a little 'duh when it comes to understanding lighting :( My unit is supposed to come equipped with 15-20 lighting points. What does this mean? Means switches will be provided? Can u pls explain in detail? :help:

Firstly, thanks for the comments, pls keep them coming, I can do with all the valuable advice that I am getting.

sfk7: Hi, glad to hear from you :) What u wrote is exactly what I was looking for. While I can't wait for the TOP so that I can move in, am equally worried if I can manage everything. But am feeling better now that I know I am not alone and should I need help, you folks will help me out! Look forward to hearing more about your experiences. Will PM you with my specific questions.

kardtoon: Yes, 3-4 mths before key collection sounds like a good time to start putting plans into action. Have started gathering basic info, as I have time, will go about slowly so that I understand things better and also have fun in the process! :D

My question remains unanswered, can someone help pls?

Hi SFK7,

Wow you managed to borrow all the home and decor from year 2008. That is so cool. Did you get it from ur friends? Any idea how to get more of these magazines. I am also doing reconstruction of a house I bought and trying to get all the ideas and information. Appreciate any help too. Thanks

My condo unit will be ready by end of next year. But I wanted to do some preliminary planning for furnishing/renovating the unit. I only have a basic floor plan without detailed room sizes.

1. With this basic floor plan, will any ID/renovation company be able to give a design proposal with estimates?

2. Is it too early to go to an ID at this stage?

3. When is the detailed floor plan with accurate room sizes given?

Thanks.

Hi TnJ, I'm a newbie here & we are in the same shoes :P

Thank you for starting this thread as I have learnt a lot from this too.

Just went to consult our first ID yesterday, was pleasantly surprised even though she knew we won't TOP till 2011/2012..haha..still keeping our options open though :)

Hope you are doing well with your ID search too!!

All the best & Cheers!