Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nuky8181

Prevention Of Pungent Smell From Wardrobe

Hi there,

I have been reading some of the post about pungent smell from wardrobe. I also bought wardrobe from Vhive couple of years back and it has kept on giving off this pungent smell. I do not totally blame Vhive. I think it has to do with the wood used.

For these few years, I use stuff like thirsty hippo reduce the chances of the build up of the pungent smell but I think this is not the solution and too frequent change of the hippo is required.

Changing a new one is going to burn my pocket so before doing that, I am thinking of painting it. I saw those nippon paint for wood surfaces. They have those that prevent mold and also waterproof for easy cleaning. Do you guys think that by painting a coat of such paint over the wood, would prevent the build up of the pungent smell?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi there,

I have been reading some of the post about pungent smell from wardrobe. I also bought wardrobe from Vhive couple of years back and it has kept on giving off this pungent smell. I do not totally blame Vhive. I think it has to do with the wood used.

For these few years, I use stuff like thirsty hippo reduce the chances of the build up of the pungent smell but I think this is not the solution and too frequent change of the hippo is required.

Changing a new one is going to burn my pocket so before doing that, I am thinking of painting it. I saw those nippon paint for wood surfaces. They have those that prevent mold and also waterproof for easy cleaning. Do you guys think that by painting a coat of such paint over the wood, would prevent the build up of the pungent smell?

Read this, choose the best.

http://www.wackyhometips.com/smell.htm

Edited by bepgof

Hi there,

I had the same problem with vhive wardrobe in the past too... I tot it was the glue... but over time, the smell is not as strong anymore.... maybe you can try charcoal? and try air the wardrobe by opening all wardrobe doors, with your windows wide open too...

good luck.

I had the same problem with vhive wardrobe in the past too... I tot it was the glue... but over time, the smell is not as strong anymore.... maybe you can try charcoal? and try air the wardrobe by opening all wardrobe doors, with your windows wide open too...

good luck.

The smell is the result of chemical fumigation to the wood for anti-insect treatment, mainly anti-termite. Smell "attacks" nose & eye. I supposed your room is not so well ventilated. Drying agent won't help. Only way is to dilute the smell with air over time. Forced ventilation can cut short timing.

Edited by bepgof

how about 'musty' smell in kitchen cabinets?

Put vinegar in dishes. Put dishes here & there for a day or 2. All "musty" smell bye bye, smell of vinegar "attack" nose, be careful. Seem you have "damped" ambience, water entered wood? Soak cloth in water for a few days? I guess most likely your some habits have caused this smell.

Edited by bepgof

er try those bamboo charcoal? ;)

Open door for few hr/a week. Fan blow/The best is don't put smelly shoes inside lor.

Edited by bepgof

Put vinegar in dishes. Put dishes here & there for a day or 2. All "musty" smell bye bye, smell of vinegar "attack" nose, be careful. Seem you have "damped" ambience, water entered wood? Soak cloth in water for a few days? I guess most likely your some habits have caused this smell.

after the musty smell bye bye, the vinegar smell will still linger?

this is my first set of cabinet which i inherited from the previous owner - still in good condition except the lower cabinet have musty smell. what bad habits should i avoid to prevent future musty smell? Thirsty hippo for wardrobe is ok, but kitchen cabinet?

TIA. :)

after the musty smell bye bye, the vinegar smell will still linger?

this is my first set of cabinet which i inherited from the previous owner - still in good condition except the lower cabinet have musty smell. what bad habits should i avoid to prevent future musty smell? Thirsty hippo for wardrobe is ok, but kitchen cabinet?

TIA. :)

Thirsty hippon is drying agent, can "absorbe" the smell for a period of time & effect is temporary only. Same thing for vinegar = this smell overides another smell, effect is temporary. Ventilation is the key. My mil leave open all cabinet doors open for a few hrs with a week, usually on sunday night.

Edited by bepgof